Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

153249-sunspider_javascript_mac.jpg

SunSpider JavaScript Benchmarks of Mac Browsers
(Shorter bars represent faster performance)

Article Link: Chrome for Mac Beta Nearly Matches Safari in JavaScript Benchmarking

shujin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2006
I downloaded chrome and instantly went back to safari. Chrome actually opened safari up when I went to an RSS bookmark. Why should I use a browser that will open up another browser when I hit a link or bookmark.

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
I've been using Chrome now for a while, had the Devs build for a fair few months.

Why?

I was sick of Safari toasting my legs when it came to playing videos.
The plugin was a right CPU hog according to my Activity Monitor.

Shujin. Make it your default browser then in Chrome > Preferences.

...sigh.

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2009
Yea but it does not render web sites correctly.

Just look at the macrumors forums. All the posting options are missing.

Stormbringer

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
And what about Safari on Mac vs Chrome on Win? Or is that impossible to compare correctly?

By the way, it's in beta, so it could be a bit better/faster with the final release...

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Nearly? So it doesn't match, nor does it surpass.

I nearly was surprised.

A good effort by Google, but it's not gonna replace Safari on my Mac for now...independent processes are neat and might be useful for Flash crap-ridden sites, though...

As for the incognito thing, Safari's private browsing is still more practical...why doesn't Google simply enable a preference to have incognito mode set permanently?

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Huh? Where are the units and numbers associated with this graph?

If this was minutes, then yea that is a big difference, but if it was milliseconds then I doubt it matters much.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Chrome actually does a couple of other tricks to make it actually faster when browsing webpages, like DNS pre-fetching for links on a page.

greatcaffeine

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
This doesn't take into account the horrible sluggishness of Safari's interface, nor is it representative of Safari's ludicrous memory usage. To date, I've never seen Chrome or Firefox use over 1GB RAM, but Safari is atrocious.

Honestly, just look at this memory usage from a WebKit nightly. How is this acceptable?
1k0.png

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
I downloaded chrome and instantly went back to safari. Chrome actually opened safari up when I went to an RSS bookmark. Why should I use a browser that will open up another browser when I hit a link or bookmark.

lol... maybe because safari is your default RSS reader? ;)

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Can someone tell me why Safari doesn't have the "Reopen Closed Tab" function?

Seriously, it's the ONLY reason I use FireFox instead. I much rather use Safari! Very annoying.

IntelliUser

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter?
Of course Chrome for Windows is the fastest, the Windows version of Safari sucks. Like OS, like browser.

Seriously, it's the ONLY reason I use FireFox instead. I much rather use Safari! Very annoying.

CMD-Z?

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009

although cmd-z does the job ;) (honestly, I'm not sure if it's a default command or came with glims) there are plenty of missing 'peanuts' which makes you wonder if apple engineers are really focused on the customer's needs :rolleyes: if every amateur developer can build an addon which enables such features, why does apple refuse to do so??

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
Chrome is more of a novelty for Windows users, which are used to crappy browsers such as IE...it adds little real value over Safari for Mac, which is still the fastest browser on Earth.

How is Chrome on Windows a novelty!? I use Safari on Mac and Chrome on Windows everyday, I love them both, but for me Chrome on Windows is fast than Safari on a Mac, both do the job well though.

AnDy

greatcaffeine

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
Huh? Where are the units and numbers associated with this graph?

If this was minutes, then yea that is a big difference, but if it was milliseconds then I doubt it matters much.

It's not a huge difference, really. On my iMac, Safari scores 299ms, Chromium scores around 330ms. I notice more slowdown from Safari's UI than I notice from Chrome's marginally slower JavaScript performance.

jmj

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I haven't installed the beta yet, but I did test the developer release. The speed is negligible and they both use Webkit so the rendering is a push. I just prefer Safari's UI. Maybe Chrome will grow on me, but it just seems like the buttons and icons are a little clumpy.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
How is Chrome on Windows a novelty!? I use Safari on Mac and Chrome on Windows everyday, I love them both, but for me Chrome on Windows is fast than Safari on a Mac, both do the job well though.

AnDy

It's a big deal for ordinary Windows users who know no better than IE...we Mac users have had Safari since the very beginning, which has ALWAYS been the fastest browser that exists...that's all.

zipper77

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
you've really got to take into account that it's still just a beta
not bad for not being finished yet imho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.