Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
still not automatically getting this update. i guess they are not ready to get it to the masses
Got it automatically on OS X Yosemite, but not on OS X Mavericks (simply downloaded it and installed myself).

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Google is going to need more arguments than that to keep me away from Safari in Yosemite!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
They were coding 32 bit apps in 2014?! Can't believe a product so backwards existed! Guess Google sucks at writing software. Good thing this isn't one of their flagship products. Oh wait...

Do you even know what the difference is between a 32-bit app and a 64-bit one? No, I don't you do or you wouldn't make such a ridiculous moot comment as there is no appreciable difference for this type of app beyond a tiny bit of RAM (which can backfire as well for many apps since 64-bit addressing requires more ram to be allocated, not less). :rolleyes:

People think of the improvements they got when their processors jumped from 8-bit to 16-bit to 32-bit to 64-bit, but that doesn't mean Apps somehow run better. For most apps the memory addressing is the only real difference. 64-bit Photoshop can open larger than 2GB image files. It makes sense to use it if you deal with huge photos. WTF does Chrome do that "needs" 64-bit? Nothing, really. But Apple may end support for 32-bit Apps in the future so they are smart to switch, but to the end user for most programs that don't need more than 2GB of ram to function, it means JACK SQUAT.

tanlis

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
I downloaded direct from Google earlier.

Version 39.0.2171.65 (64-bit)

----------

It is working for me.

Just to followup, turns out it was GlimmerBlocker causing the problem. Despite working on Safari and previous versions. Turning GlimmerBlocker off and loading Chrome then turning it back on resolved the issue. I also think adding 127.0.0.1 to have it ignore using the proxy may also keep 1Password working.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
1) Testing purposes with web design etc.

2) For some people, there may be websites that (for whatever reason) do not function like they should in Safari.

3) Some people like the cross platform sync ability

There are a lot of reasons. It doesn't matter whether you understand or agree with the actions of others in this regard.

I know of several honestly. Safari user base is so small it does not even make it on a lot places test list. So any one off issues in Safari are not touched. The official answer is "we recommend you use Chrome FF or IE."

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
most programs that don't need more than 2GB of ram to function, it means JACK SQUAT.
Wow, hilarious that this myth is still floating around. Ignorance knows no bounds on the internet. There's not much point discussing this with you further, as you're just reciting 2006 talking points. When you demonstrate that you actually know something about CPUs we can talk.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
You may need to look into your ISP.

It happens to me as well. Websites just hang sometimes and takes a long time for the site to connect

Nice. I keep meaning to try Chrome more thoroughly, but Safari does the job so far. I've tried using Chrome to sync open tabs between my Mac and my Nexus 7, but it required burrowing down a few menus to access the open tabs on each device. Safari wins hands down on syncing tabs/bookmarks between devices.

One thing that bugs me about Safari is the bookmark manager. It used to be a little better but Apple keep removing features and their new sidebar bookmarks are hideous. Low contrast, abnormal folder appearance and behavior, and tedious management. Feels more like using Windows than a Mac. I'm afraid to try Yosemite for fear of Apple having further ruined Safari.

They did. You can't even just delete history, you have to delete history and all website data at the same time. Ludicrous.

OT, I seem to remember that there was a way to switch safari from 64 bit back to 32 bit (there was an issue with an older OS). How exactly did we do that or does that option not exist anymore?
I'm only asking because I don't know if I ever switched it back to 64 bit

xiaomingqiu1207

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
I used to use Chrome a lot, even in Mac, it's so convenient, all these bookmarks and add ons, sync them between PC/Mac even mobiles.
After upgraded to Yosemite, I switched to Safari, chrome sometimes makes the Mac fan running, I think that is the reason I switched to Safari, though lack of these add-ons

MaciekP

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Sunspider 1.0.2, lower-->better
FIREFOX - ca 130-150ms
NEW CHROME 64bit - ca 220ms!!!!
OLD CHROME 32bit - ca 160-170ms
:eek:

Safari 7.1
the whole benchmark takes much longer than on other browsers, but score is very good:

============================================
RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
--------------------------------------------
Total: 148.3ms +/- 4.0%
--------------------------------------------

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Had to manually download and install the latest update on my 10.9.5-equipped MBP. That's not a bad thing, though, as I needed to update the backup copy I keep in case of a system reinstall or upgrade.

So far it's working extremely well. I'm noticing a definite speed improvement, and no issues with any of my extensions either.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Weird. I have two computers that it's not working for me. Both won't respond to the ⌘\ and if I click the 1Password icon in menu bar or hit ⌥⌘\ it displays the "Add Chrome Extension..."

Theres a 1password Chrome extension, wait where?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Wow, hilarious that this myth is still floating around. Ignorance knows no bounds on the internet. There's not much point discussing this with you further, as you're just reciting 2006 talking points. When you demonstrate that you actually know something about CPUs we can talk.

Well, some might claim it's easy to pull a rabbit out of their back side, but without any PROOF of this rabbit, I might as well just assume they're really just taking a dump. :rolleyes:

I agree with your statement about IGNORANCE on the Internet. Your post has convinced me it's true.

Last edited:

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Is the difference very much? I've never run 100% 64-bit programs on my computer. There's always at least one little process that's 32-bit. QTKitServer for Safari, whatever that is, is 32-bit, and it's built in.
Any idea what it is? I've heard it suggested that it's used only when selected corrupted video files in the Finder, since it needs to try old codecs to preview it, but that wouldn't explain the Safari aspect. Other than a few instances of that strange process, Microsoft Office 2011 and Dropbox are the only remaining 32-bit processes I run by default now that Chrome has been updated.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
YAAY FINALLY
It's so ironic... Chrome is the pioneer in everything else... but not architecture. It's been lagging so far behind! Why did they stick with 32 bit for so long?! The biggest problem with that is that Java didn't work in Chrome

Pioneer of everything? Wasn't Chrome originally built using Apple's Webkit?

Last edited:

dody

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Can anyone playback quicktime videos in the 64-bit chrome? I tried playing back a trailer and a video on the apple site and neither works. For example, can anyone play this video back?

http://www.apple.com/watch/films/#film-design

Any ideas on how to get the QT plugin to show up and work?

Not from us. Apple will have to release a 64-bit QT plugin for the 64-bit browsers to be able to play quicktime videos.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
YAAY FINALLY
It's so ironic... Chrome is the pioneer in everything else... but not architecture. It's been lagging so far behind! Why did they stick with 32 bit for so long?! The biggest problem with that is that Java didn't work in Chrome

What did Chrome actually pioneer?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pioneer of everything? Wasn't Chrome originally build sing Apple's Webkit?
Not quite Apple's WebKit, although Apple's certainly contributed a good amount to it (as Google now has since introducing Chrome).

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
No reason to use Chrome then there is Safari and DuckDuckGo

Do you actually use Safari in Yosemite? It doesn't load pages half the time and it slow. I've normally used Safari as my daily driver, but since all the performance issues I've made the switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.