Chrome for Mac is awful!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DolmenRage, Jun 26, 2010.

1. DolmenRage macrumors member

Ever since I started using it my Macbook has been running really slow. It freezes a lot, Flash crashes about 5 times a day, pages crash and give an annoying "Kill or wait" pop-up, and it generally makes my Mac slow.
    I am running the latest build and it sucks because I like the look and feel of Chrome, it's very simplistic and on Windows it feels really light and fast, unlike Firefox which feels loaded with stuff, but at least it works.
    Anybody else has problems with Chrome?

2. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I'm using it on my Mac Pro and have experienced none of the issues you are reporting.

3. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Chrome is the best Browser I have used on my Mac.

4. yoose macrumors newbie

no issues for me either. in fact i find it much faster than FF, which to me has become quite bloated. are you running a stable version?

5. vile macrumors member

I'm using mac either, but I sometimes get crashes mostly to say If I command + q the browser with many tabs open it sometimes freezes and has to be force quit. Except that I really prefer Chrome over FF and the rest (especially the search/url bar)

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Chrome runs fine on my computer. But I agree full heartedly Chrome is awful! Only a fool would hand over all their information and browsing to an ad company like Google.

7. Tanto macrumors member

Tanto

I have used it for months now and it is my primary browser now. No issues, and I like some of the add-ons it has.

8. DolmenRage thread starter macrumors member

I usually have 10+ tabs open, I can't help it, that's how I remember stuff, so that may be why it's so slow sometimes and why it crashes. But that never used to happen with Firefox, it rarely slowed down.

I'm running 5.0.375.70, but it says there's an update available. I can't connect to the server, but as soon as it lets I'll update it and give it a try.
    I'd heard some of these problems occurred with the Beta, but I heard they were fixed with the official release, that's why I started using Chrome.

9. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Interesting. I've gone back and forth between Chrome, Safari, and Firefox and Chrome dominates in the browser war. It's the fastest and easiest to use with the least amount of issues, by far.

I'd recommend reinstalling it and see if that helps.

10. Prospekt macrumors regular

Here we go again...:rolleyes:

11. celticpride678

That's an issue with Chrome. You won't be able to connect to the server. Download the latest build here:

http://www.google.com/chrome

I have been using Chrome on my Mac ever since it was in early beta and it has been wonderful. Best web browser I have ever had.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Your usage and browsing history is not sent to Google. Even if you click "Help make Google Chrome better by sending usage statistics and crash reports to Google" that is only to help make Chrome more stable - and that option can be found on a lot of browsers and programs. ;) (plus no one is making you press that option)

13. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

X2 I love Chrome, Firefox too. I think Safari is the worst browser I ever used

14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Delete the browsers support file in all locations they my be corrupted.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use Chrome once in a while. While it's faster than Firefox, I really miss the bookmarks on the sidebar, so I tend to stick with Firefox. I have had no crashes or issues with Chrome.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Chrome sucks. Safari is faster, even if slightly, but loads pages with less errors than Chrome. Flash plugins crash the most in Chrome and this happens on all my friend's computers Mac and PC. The UI and feature set is a bit too simplistic for my taste. Switch to Safari, speed and stability over slow and unstable. Safari was and still is the fastest and most stable browser on any platform except Linux where Firefox is king.

17. kasakka macrumors 68000

I've moved to using Chrome instead of Firefox on Windows and it works great most of the time. Extensions are still nowhere near as good as Firefox.

On OSX though Chrome seems to be far behind the Win version. It lacks many features and performance seems to be worse.

One thing that is annoying is Chrome's lack of smooth scrolling. Yes, there is an extension that hacks this in but it doesn't work 100% and doesn't work well with the Magic Mouse.

Safari works smoother on OSX, terrible on Windows of course. However it's lack of features sucks. While each version brings an impressive list of changes, there are so many small things that Chrome and Firefox do that you end up missing them when using Safari.

18. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

19. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I agree 100%.

I sincerely hope that the Extensions Gallery, when properly launched, will allow Safari to compete with Firefox. I rely on so many different extensions to boost my productivity that no matter how fast Safari may be, it simply cannot compete without them. Other than that, I think Safari has most of the bases covered (although Glims is essential).

I don't consider Chrome a viable alternative due to privacy concerns, so I always fall back on Firefox. Safari 5 feels a lot lighter/snappier in comparison, so I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I use very few plugins, but Chrome sure seems faster to me than Safari does.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Neither one is noticeably faster. Don't listen to SnowLeopard, it's not worth your time.