Chrome is KILLING me!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Beachguy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I have been using the latest dev builds of Google Chrome for years. But I noticed recently that it has become massively sluggish, and killing the system on RAM. No matter if it is my I7 2012 MBP with 16 GB RAM or my 2011 MBA I-5 and 4 GB.

Has anyone else noticed that it has gotten MUCH hungrier than before?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You're correct. I've been hearing about a change they're working on...hopefully a massive optimization.

3. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Thanks. It's a relief to know it isn't something I am doing. My MBA is completely unusable with this problem.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I really love Chrome, and hate using any other browser due to its simplicity, but I won't use it on OS X laptops - only desktops. I don't experience too bad of resource usage besides power, which is a no-go on laptops.

Safari is okay. Firefox has some nice features but I find it to be all over the place. Chrome is just so clean and minimalistic.

5. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Thanks for moving this to the right place, Mods. :)

6. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Absolutely - I have reluctantly moved back to Safari for this very reason. Certain aspects of safari drive me bananas...but at least it's snappy!

7. jsavvy macrumors member

jsavvy

Chrome kills my 2011 MBA's battery but I don't have the RAM issue. I only use Chrome to do web development otherwise I use safari to save my battery. Too bad safari wasn't as fast as chrome for me.

8. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Why not uninstall it and use Safari until Google gets their act together?

9. digitalField macrumors regular

Chrome has always been notorious for their memory leaks and sluggish performance the longer you use it.

Two suggestions so that you can keep using Chrome (i use chrome all day everyday with minimal issues)
    1. don't use the lately alpha/dev builds, use the latest RC. it wont have the bleeding edge bells and whistles but you get better stability.
    2. When in Chrome go Window > Task Manager and it will show you which tabs are eating up all your resources. Usually one or two tabs are the culprit and closing them makes things usable again.

M!​

10. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

11. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I too noticed the ram draining. Moved back to Safari until its fixed.

12. Geekazoid Suspended

Then you might wanna call 000/911 then. :p

In all seriousness though, I doubt it's actually killing you, maybe really annoying you?

13. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

But I need the DEV version FOR the bells and whistles! For most people, I would agree though. I've had a REAL hard time lately with Chrome in an Ubuntu VM, but that's "scope creep" on this discussion. :)

14. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Sadly, I succumbed to Chromitis yesterday.

15. Geekazoid Suspended

Oh dear, now you really are in trouble, because there's no known cure at this time. :p

16. Slarti.BartFast macrumors newbie

Have any of you guys tried Vivaldi ?

https://vivaldi.com - from what I can see it's the Google engine stripped of it's Google ness run by the guy who used to run Opera

17. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Been using Vivaldi occasionally for quite a while. I do like it. But... I still need Chrome.

18. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have been using Chromium, a partial cure I believe. However, since the latest Flash fiasco Chromium has not been updated to include the latest version of Pepper Flash, included in Chrome version 43.0.2357.134
    The Chromium HP, <http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxportableapps/files/Chromium/?> only shows the prior version Chromium_OSX_43.0.2357.130.dmg.
    Anyone know what the delay is all about?

19. Michaelgtrusa, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Freesmug team is sometimes weeks behind the Chrome dev team. It's hard to find out why this is as they are now two update behind chrome.

Read more here. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36244/chromium

20. Geekazoid Suspended

Hmm...haven't used that yet, didn't really know about it, although maybe I just forgot about it, that's probably it.

21. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I'll try Chromium on the Macs involved over the weekend. I don't have the problem in Windows or Linux (Xubuntu or Suse) so I think this issue is just in the Mac release.

22. SurferMan, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

SurferMan macrumors 65816

I've been using Chrome for years on Macs no problem, except for lately. I used to be able to have two windows open with like 10+ tabs each no issue. But seems Chrome is eating up like a kid raiding a candy store now, and I notice lags etc. Sucks as its my go to and sync'd with my phones and tab and other computers for bookmarks etc. And I'm not a fan of Safari nor ever have been.

Might have to look at suggestions on here.

23. zaphon macrumors regular

zaphon

As soon as Safari can provide me a way to sync my bookmarks, passwords, etc. across 3 different platforms (Mac, Windows, and Linux), then I'll give this a serious look. Until them I'm pretty much stuck with Chrome. I hate it, hate it with a passion. For example, I have Gigabit internet at home, under Chrome using speedtest.net, the max I can get is about 500-600Mbit, however under Firefox and Internet Explorer I get the full 950+ that's expected. Other items are just as slow and it really makes me wonder what the heck it's doing behind the scenes. If I had a choice, I would, but I don't want to try and use third party tools to semi make this work. With Chrome it's just seamless sadly..

24. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I have tried Vivaldi , but it's missing many features that i need. I do like it but it's still in alpha.

25. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Here is the update. https://twitter.com/FreeSMUG/status/622887601490501632