Chrome really eats the memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steve knight, Aug 9, 2011.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

on my 2009 mac mini every day or two I would need to close (end up having to kill) chrome to get it sped up and recover memory. seems about the same on my new min when I had 5 gigs of memory well just yesterday I made it 8 gigs and chrome has eaten about 3 or 4 gigs on its own with 14 tabs with nothing active open. seems pretty excessive to me.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That is excessive – with eleven tabs open Chrome is using ~100MB of RAM on my desktop (out of 6GB). What build are you running?

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

just have mail chrome and itunes running. plus little things like istat and logmein dropbox and such. it just seemed chrome went crazy. closing it down took care of it as usual.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which version of Chrome do you have? You can find out by going to the wrench and choosing About Google Chrome.

5. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

the newest one. it is better nwo but it still seems to use about 200 megs per tab.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Chrome uses a lot of memory on my Mac too (not so much on Windows) when you add up all the "Google Chrome renderers" but I don't mind the tradeoff since i love Chrome features

7. animatedude macrumors 65816

yes when i leave a few tabs open then go to sleep then wake up the next day, things gets slow....any idea how to change/fix this?

8. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

200 meg per tab seems excessive. I use chrome almost exclusively and it opens with 17 tabs when launched.

Attached Files:

9. Adomian macrumors newbie

The memory may be used by extensions. Each extension you have can use more RAM.