Chrome Vs Safari

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gngan, Feb 13, 2012.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Hi guys, I am having issues with Chrome and Safari lately.

I am having issue loading MR (some other website: ie. 9to5mac, engadget,etc) when i use Chrome. It would either load it as text only or it couldn't find the page. When i try those website on Safari, it would load.

On Safari, it wouldn't load Sony's website but it would load it in Chrome.Is any one having the same issue?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, but FWIW I prefer Safari, it's stripped down and fast, unlike Chrome ( which I used to use ) if I want bells and whistles I can go to the add on site.

I don't. Only have Adblocket installed on all my Macs....Fadt browsing without problems.

Try emptying your browser cache. If that fails reset Safari from the main menu.

3. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Thanks for your input. I tried emptying Safari's cache and reset Safari but it still wouldn't load this site (http://www.sony.com.hk/service/driverDownloadSearch.do?lang=en&lid=topmenu_text_service_download). It works with Chrome though. Can you please try it with Safari? Many thanks.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

5. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Not sure why people rated down your post but I will give it a try. I realize that sometimes the picture (avatar) wouldn't load in MR too. Damn, this is weird.

6. eldaniel7 macrumors newbie

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

LOL, I never look at the voting system...I'm not exactly popular, but I offer my advice with the best of intentions. If folks want to down vote me, so be it...I take no notice at all.

Hope you get things fixed!

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Sorry but firefox has become a pig... it used to be my browser of choice until about a year ago. That was version 4, now they are on version 10? It took them 5 years to get to version one out of beta, then under a year to just 6 versions? :rolleyes: Chrome has been very good to me on both windows and OS X.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

+1. I used FireFox until Chrome came out.

10. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I was pretty much Chrome only when I was on Windows (other than cross checking code on other browsers), then installed it for consistency when I migrated to OSX, but it started acting a little wonky, so I’ve been spending more time in Safari, and now I don’t see myself going back!

Using iOS devices, we’re getting BM sync too which is pretty nice (without a 3rd party plugin/app).

There’s a couple of things I like better about Chrome: the “private” mode was per window, so I could have both windows at the same time vs. Safari which switches the entire browser into private (just handy for development).

I’m also not used to the separate address / search inputs, but in some ways I like that I can navigate in an isolated space vs. the server side lookup from Chrome/Google - I’m also in the middle of a total de-Googling :D

I do wish there was a little more aesthetic control over Safari, the bookmarks bar could use a different font/size.

11. bdodds1985, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I use chrome, simply because I sync everything with my gmail.

However, I still don't believe Safari is faster than chrome. From benchmark results all over the internet (that I have seen), chrome wins. And it's no different installing add-ons with safari than it is in chrome, it's still add-ons and extensions.

If you show me evidence proving otherwise I would love to see it.

I like both of them, but prefer chrome. The only thing that I don't like about it is the download bar at the bottom. Other than that, I have used it for so long that it's comfortable and the easiest to use.

For avid mac users, I can see safari coming out on top. I mean, it comes installed and ready to go. so why not. I guess the multi touch gestures is a plus, but I have not noticed any lag on chromes part personally. Plus it just has that mac look and feel.

Any other significant features have gone unnoticed in my eyes. They are both pretty basic and simple to use.

12. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Yeh I agree, Chrome is faster and more stable, rarely have had any issues with it on my Mac's. Safari though I've had freeze, close, glitch etc numerous times through the years. Sometimes I'm busy and can have a dozen+ tabs open sometimes in two browsers running, Chrome no problem... Safari act's like it wants to pass out and collapse lol. I use Safari once in awhile just to see if anythings changed, but always come back to Chrome.

Chrome>Safari>FF>IE

To OP --> I checked Sony on Safari and it opened, but quite slow for some reason, loads fine and immediate on Chrome though.

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

In terms of nominal speed gains, Firefox comes in next to last.
    Feature-wise, it's still the leader in add-ons and plugins, but those tend to slow the browser down even more.
    It's your opinion on which browser is best, but for most of us, the age of Firefox has come and gone.

14. SurferMan macrumors 65816

back in the day FF was awesome, especially compared to IE, it was like night and day better. But through the years they bloated it, Chrome wins hands down now, been using it since it came out. FF still has massive memory leaks even if your doing little to nothing in the browser.

15. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, this guy thinks Safari is faster than Chrome.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've tried loading that site in Firefox, Safari, Opera. I've even tried it in Internet Explorer on my Thinkpad. I see no issues.

I would think you have a browser configuration issue. Do you have something like an antivirus or security suite installed? Some of them would have issues with some browsers while not others.

17. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

+2 with Firefox until Chrome came out. lol

Let's not discuss with which is better.

I do not have any antivirus or security suite installed on my MBP. It's not only Sony's website that I'm having problem. Site like MR, 9to5mac, QJ.net, mangastream will randomly not load.

For instance, if i click my MR bookmark link and open switch to another tab, then it will say it couldn't find the page. If i stay on the MR tab then there's a higher chance that it would load the page.

What are else are causing this? I am feeling that it's not safari or chrome's problem.

18. iforbes macrumors 6502

I am assuming you are connecting to the internet via wi-fi? Have you tried bypassing the router and connecting your computer directly to the (Cable? DSL?) modem to see if you still have issues?

19. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

Tried other browsers to see if it is a network issue?

I would load up all the current browsers available and check if they all have issues.
    Try Firefox 10.0.1 even if you don't want to use it long term.
    Try Opera too, it usually runs pretty smooth. http://www.opera.com/
    Omniweb is free now so load it and run the same tests there. http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/

I'm not saying use them forever, just see if they have similar problems or issues. If they do, where the problem lies isn't the browser.
    Are you using 64bit or 32bit kernel and extensions?

I binned Safari a long time ago, using Firefox pretty much all the time now. I use Opera on my iPod, so much faster than Safari. Never liked Chrome's interface even though it is a nice fast runner, so I don't use it.

20. superfula macrumors 6502

Because in some instances it is faster. In some instances, Firefox is the fastest and in others Chrome comes in first. When talking about speed, there is no one browser that is the fastest in every test.

Speed tests show all three are extremely close, so the choice comes down to features.

21. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

When plugged in - Chrome

When on the road - Safari

22. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

They are equal in speed; if not, then the speed difference is quite imperceptible. They both use WebKit for rendering.
    It's more of a question of whether you like:
    • The user interface
    • Expandability
    • Integration (e.g. multi-touch gestures v. Gmail)
    • Additional features (e.g. Reader)

Also, be wary of the fact that Safari might have the better startup time due to its integration into the OS.

23. RyanMacm macrumors member

RyanMacm

I just got my first macbook pro today (yay) um I'm battling this to. I'm debating if I should remain using safari or chrome. any pointers to a new mac user? :D

24. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

read the thread and make an educated guess? good luck.

25. RyanMacm macrumors member

RyanMacm

Thank you =]