Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
You can drag n drop a file or just navigate to the local destination in a tab that is casting. It wont do avi but I tried mp4s and mp3s and they worked

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
You can stream Netflix and iTunes on the iPhone over chromecast currently.

The interesting thing is they can stream in the background so you can use other apps.

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Have you done this yourself?

Yes. Easily. I haven't seen any posts about doing this anywhere.

The apps have a new icon in the corner, a frame with wifi bars in the corner, touch it and it throws the video to your tv.

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Doing it now with new nexus 7. Have "my little pony" playing off youtube for my daughter while I'm posting this.

Edit: There is an icon I can pull down in notifications with play/pause/rewind quick controls.

I was talking about doing this on an iPhone.

I'm not sure if posting about pairing a google phone with a google dongle is that relevant to this website.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
I was talking about doing this on an iPhone.

I'm not sure if posting about pairing a google phone with a google dongle is that relevant to this website.

Sorry didn't catch the iPhone part. I won't be able to try that until I can use my wife's iPad tomorrow night. I'll post results if no one has by then. Sorry for the confusion, no offense intended.

Edit: Even though I misunderstood your specific question.....It is certainly relevant to this particular sub-forum, on this website.

Last edited:

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Has anyone figured out anything else you can do with chromecast besides Netflix and YouTube on the iPhone?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Given that I have an Apple TV (or a few) and a Roku (or a few), the fact that I can stream NetFlix on the Chromecast is of limited value to me.

What makes it worth the $35 (or, for those of us who got in early, the effective cost of $11) to me is the ability to access Google Play content. Access via Nexus devices is a breeze, and access via Chrome isn't too bad either. I've not tried with an iPhone/iPad yet.

I wish they'd have put the micro USB port somewhere other than the end, because it just makes the whole thing too long to comfortable hide behind a lot of TVs, and I wish they didn't add the bright white LED, and I wish they did 5GHz. But that can come in the next generation. A $35 streaming device for Play content makes me very happy, and the fact that I can set up an ad hoc network and stream to hotel room TVs and such makes it even better.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the device and with the incredible ease of setup. That said, it's there for Play Content. Pretty much anything else will likely still go through the other devices... although I must admit that the ease of getting Netflix content on the screen is pretty compelling.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I don't have mine yet so I could be wrong about this but I think the coolest part of this is the ability to bring your digitial content that your bought over to someone elses house.

For instance - If I purchase a CD or a movie, I can now easily play it over at my buddies. If I have a netflix subscription, I can easily use it over at a friends. I now have access to my digital content in my pocket and can access it on any big screen connected to a chromecast.

This to me is huge because I like sharing stuff I enjoy with others and its been hard to do in the past with stuff that is in the cloud. It makes buying movies and tv shows on Google play more compelling to although the prices are still a bit too high IMO.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/07/new-chromecast-app-can-share-anything-from-your-gallery.html

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I've successfully ran rdio from my chrome browser on my macbook pro to an HDTV with a really nice speaker set up and was enjoying music throughout my house. Very happy for this thing for just $35. My Apple TV doesn't support rdio!

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Does anyone know of any indication by Apple of blocking iOS apps from utilizing Chromecast? I know at the moment it is cross platform and works with Youtube (any other apps?) on iOS. But I would imagine Apple would consider blocking other developers from utilizing Chromecast if they eventually open the ATV up and release a SDK.

If not, Google has really released a game changer in how we consume media.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Does anyone know of any indication by Apple of blocking iOS apps from utilizing Chromecast? I know at the moment it is cross platform and works with Youtube (any other apps?) on iOS. But I would imagine Apple would consider blocking other developers from utilizing Chromecast if they eventually open the ATV up and release a SDK.

If not, Google has really released a game changer in how we consume media.

It's Apple, they'll probably block it from non-Google apps.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Is it possible to turn off the device while not in use? It's quite warm even in standby, I'm afraid the longevity of the device being this warm 24hrs a day.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
This thing is so good, my wife and I was using it tonight while cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. We were easily adding songs from our phones and it worked so well. This little thing has a ton of potential

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Is it possible to turn off the device while not in use? It's quite warm even in standby, I'm afraid the longevity of the device being this warm 24hrs a day.
Not that I know of without disabling the USB power (there are certainly all sorts of ways to do that, but few if any of them are very pretty).

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
This thing is so good, my wife and I was using it tonight while cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. We were easily adding songs from our phones and it worked so well. This little thing has a ton of potential

iPhones? Adding songs to what? What app?

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
No we dont use iphones and adding songs to the queue in Google Play music. If you are not aware of it you can download the Google Play music manager on your pc and maybe mac and it will scan your itunes folder, music folder or any folder you want and add them to your account online. It will match 20,000 songs for free and you can stream them to any device, it is a great service and app

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
No we dont use iphones and adding songs to the queue in Google Play music. If you are not aware of it you can download the Google Play music manager on your pc and maybe mac and it will scan your itunes folder, music folder or any folder you want and add them to your account online. It will match 20,000 songs for free and you can stream them to any device, it is a great service and app

Thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.