Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
There is actually a pretty cool alternative that ranges from about the same price as the Chromecast to about $80. It is called Android Mini PC and runs full Android and hooks up to your TV or monitor. Here is one for $35.

Personally, I am thinking about getting one similar to this one instead of the Chromecast. However, I didn't realize that you could mirror Chrome tabs until this thread on the Chromecast. So, I may get a Chromecast, since I could watch flash videos through the Chrome browser.

I wouldn't touch the android mini pc, very cheap construction and some pretty poor reviews

----------

does it stream from the mlb app?

DeathTheKid

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2013
I wouldn't touch the android mini pc, very cheap construction and some pretty poor reviews

----------

does it stream from the mlb app?

Yea, that one is the cheapest. If you do a search for 'Android Mini PC' you should find more. There are other brands that are $20-$40 more expensive, but have much better reviews.

As for the MLB app, it should considering it runs full Android.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Returned mine since it does not support my 5Ghz wireless network. Since my 2.4/5 networks have different names through my TC, I'm not willing to drop my desktop and laptop to the 2.4 network just to use Chromecast.

Kinda bummed about it, but oh well.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Returned mine since it does not support my 5Ghz wireless network. Since my 2.4/5 networks have different names through my TC, I'm not willing to drop my desktop and laptop to the 2.4 network just to use Chromecast.

Kinda bummed about it, but oh well.

Have you considered a router that can do 2.4 and 5 simultaneously ?

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Have you considered a router that can do 2.4 and 5 simultaneously ?
My Time Capsule is dual; 2.4/5Ghz networks have different SSID's. Chromecast requires devices to be on the same network. Since all my devices and computers are on the 5Ghz network, I would have to switch them to the 2.4Ghz network just to use Chromecast.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My Time Capsule is dual; 2.4/5Ghz networks have different SSID's. Chromecast requires devices to be on the same network. Since all my devices and computers are on the 5Ghz network, I would have to switch them to the 2.4Ghz network just to use Chromecast.

I'm running different SSIDs for my 2.4GHz vs my 5GHz network on my Airport Extreme network, I'm still able to start streams from my HTC One and iPad mini on the 5GHz network.

Do you have one setup as an unsecured guest network or something?

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I'm running different SSIDs for my 2.4GHz vs my 5GHz network on my Airport Extreme network, I'm still able to start streams from my HTC One and iPad mini on the 5GHz network.

Do you have one setup as an unsecured guest network or something?
Nope both network are secure with WPA2. Weird why it wasn't working for me, just keep getting an error message from Chromecast that devices must be on the same network.

Regardless still prefer to keep my main devices on the 5Ghz network, which Chromecast does not support. Only devices on the 2.4Ghz network are my security camera and Nest thermostat.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nope both network are secure with WPA2. Weird why it wasn't working for me, just keep getting an error message from Chromecast that devices must be on the same network.

Regardless still prefer to keep my main devices on the 5Ghz network, which Chromecast does not support. Only devices on the 2.4Ghz network are my security camera and Nest thermostat.

You're not imagining things, I had the same problem. Both my 2.4 and 5 GHz have the same SSID but the 5 GHz network is labeled as such automatically and the Chromecast sees it as a different network. I'm really not using it much at all right now as I have Apple TVs throughout the house which presently offer much more functionality but as it essentially cost only $11 after the Netflix rebate, not a big loss if it never gets much use.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
i have my airport on n/b/g and it works fine. i love this device for youtube queues and netflix.

the reason why this model will dominate when other apps can cast is it's so simple. use yr phone, tablet, or laptop. push the button and go.

i wish i could get my brand new air to cast tabs, but that part is super buggy. it may be my isp though.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I've been LOVING it for netflix. Can't wait for it to be useful for a lot more. Quick ?... How do you get it to show the chrome browser from your phone? Has anybody been able to watch Hulu streaming from your phones browser?

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I saw where someone got SlingBox to work through the Chrome browser by launching the app through Facebook apps. Very cool.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I've been LOVING it for netflix. Can't wait for it to be useful for a lot more. Quick ?... How do you get it to show the chrome browser from your phone? Has anybody been able to watch Hulu streaming from your phones browser?

You cannot. Chrome tabs are only supported on PCs

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
the dude from cyanogenmod(?) is working on an app that will let you stream from yr gdrive, dropbox, or gallery. that'd be super useful.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007

are u assigning different networks to 2.4 and 5ghz radios? are the subnets same? it shouldn't matter if u have 2 different ssids as long as your network is same as all of your devices. You can have different ssids but if underlying network is the same for both then its supported. like you said "Chromecast requires devices to be on the same network"

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
there was an apk that i installed on my nexus 4.3 but i could not get it to work. someone said videos had to be mp4 and mine were m4v. i'm not changing all of those file names.

i have to believe el goog is working on this for all their apps ala appletv.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
are u assigning different networks to 2.4 and 5ghz radios? are the subnets same? it shouldn't matter if u have 2 different ssids as long as your network is same as all of your devices. You can have different ssids but if underlying network is the same for both then its supported. like you said "Chromecast requires devices to be on the same network"
It's all under the same network. The only thing I've done is hide my SSID broadcast, that's it. Otherwise it's just your basic Time Capsule setup with a default 2.4 network, and a separate 5 network with a different name.

So unless I'm missing something here, or I just got a dud unit...

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
It is a function built into Cyanogenmod, although I don't see any indication that it has been released yet.

I don't think it is available yet.

It's not a function built into CM, nor is it unavailable. Koush released it a few days ago. I posted it a few days ago (on page 2 of this thread):

It's called AirCast.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's not a function built into CM, nor is it unavailable. Koush released it a few days ago. I posted it a few days ago (on page 2 of this thread):

It's called AirCast.

That is different than what we are talking about. He posted a video a few weeks ago about a feature built into CM allowing you to play anything on your device through the chromecast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.