Cigar Recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Saluki Alex, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

My niece is going to be born in a little under 2 weeks and I wanted to get a couple cigars for my brother and I to smoke in celebration. Also, I've been contemplating getting a small humidor and a some cigars to keep around for myself.

If anyone could recommend some good cigars that aren't overly pricey since I'm just a college student. :D

Also, I'm well aware of the health affects of smoking, I quit smoking (cigarettes) almost 2 months ago. But I've been able to have the occasional cigar without feeling the cravings like I did with cigarettes, at the same time though, it does enable me to enjoy the social aspect of smoking.

Also, if anyone could give me and tips or suggestions on humidors, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Regarding humidors, I'd highly recommend you talk to the guy who normally sells you cigars. Tell him your price range up front, and have him explain to you what it is you're looking for in a decent humidor.

Get your hands on a few and have the guy tell you what he thinks of each. If you're going to keep cigars for more than a week or two, a humidor that ensures you don't ruin your investment (regardless of what kind of cigars you smoke) is a must.

As for a decent cigar, in my experience, Macanudo makes pretty affordable cigars (~$5) that smoke well. And for the celebration cigars, I'd tell you to ask the guy in the cigar shop what he thinks would be a good "celebrating" cigar in whatever price range you'd decided on.

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Gotta go with the Blunt... (j/k)

Attached Files:

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Actually, I'm a fan of Baccarat. Mild and smooth with a sweet tip. Quite affordable, too.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

6. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

Seeing as I live in the U.S., getting my hands on some Cubans would be slightly difficult. ;)

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think you may find something of interest here. They have great prices and offerings in all price ranges. I have never had a single complaint over the many years I have done business with them. You owe it to yourself to at least visit their site.

With that being said, I do not recommend smoking to anyone, especially to youth. Cigars can be abused the same as cigarettes. They also present their own health issues. There is really no guaranteed 'safe' way to smoke any tobacco product.

8. Bogie macrumors regular

Cigars are great! I recommend the romeo y julietta's too. You can find the non cuban variety.

Also, while you're getting that humidor, you might want to pick up a pipe and try that kind of smoking. It's very relaxing and enjoyable.

9. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll have to take a look at those if I can find them at one of our local tobacco shops. Depending on what the prices are like, I might pick up some Macanudos (if not for my brother, maybe just to keep around for myself).

With regard to pipes, I've always loved the smell of pipe tobacco, but for me, the social aspect of smoking equals the relaxing part of it. Unless your friends have pipes, that's not as much of an option. I think that maybe later in life I'll try out a pipe, probably so in-fact, but it's just cigars for now.

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

A friend gave me a Oliva sampler and I really liked their cigars.

Your best best to find out what kind of cigars you like is go and buy different types and try them out. Talk to a salesman or woman too, they'll gladly help you out with reccomendations.

KEEP A JOURNAL TOO! Write down what you like!

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

"My favorite kind of cigar? Itsaboy."

- Rodney Dangerfield

12. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Davidoff is a good brand. They make very good cigars and you can get them at reasonable prices. If you dont like Davidoff, try to get hold of cigars made in Honduras. These plants were originally smuggled out of Cuba, so you get "Cuba" cigars at a fair price. Real Habanos are seriously over priced outside Cuba.

Tip: Stay away from Cuba cigars sold in US. 99% of them are fakes.

13. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Last month, my mom and step-dad went to the caymans for a month. Well, he came back with a bunch of cohibas and montecristo's. Needless to say, he couldn't fit all the new cigars into his humidor. So he gave me all of his old ones! There really are a bunch of them! I recently went out and bought a humidor and have some really nice cigars now.

What's interesting is, as much as I loathe and despise cigarette smoking, I don't mind cigars at all.

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Totally agree, nothing beats a hand-rolled Cuban cigar. R&Js, Monte Cristos, and of course Cohibas. I bought some down there for $15 a cigar which sell up here for roughly $60 - great arbitrage opportunity! :D

Poor Americans, you're really missing out... :p ;) :D

Seriously though, congrats on your niece and I'm sure you'll find something suitable with which to celebrate. :)

16. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Acid 5 & Arturo Fuente "Ernest Hemingway Short Stories" are my personal favorites.

17. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

the embargo in no way means we can't get them. I have a couple cigar-shop buddies who ONLY smoke Cubans

18. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

19. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I have a Montecristo No.2 waiting for me at home... I don't know if i want to smoke that quite yet, due to me not being able to appreciate its flavor quite yet.

20. jwp1964 macrumors regular

Without a doubt...Rocky Patel Vintage 1992. I get many cigars from cigarinternational.com. Great site with many good deals.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's good to know! ;)

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Yeah but if you get caught with them... BAM!!! right in the slammer.;)

23. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Nat Sherman Host Harrington Collection....you will not regret it...and of course Arturo Fuente is always a winner.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, I knew it couldn't be that easy... :p ;)

25. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

You'd have to come across one hell of an overzealous cigar aficionado cop to get arrested for it though. It's a supplemental crime; an offense they'll nail you with to increase the jail time of another offense. Most cops I've ever met would probably steal them, and let me off the hook.

As far as the sellers of Cuban cigars... I imagine that's a different story.