Cilantro, Love it or Hate it

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gonzo3333, Jan 19, 2010.

?

Do you like Cilantro

1. Love the stuff and eat it by itself

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Love it and would put it on anything

23 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Don't mind it in small quantities

32 vote(s)
    42.1%
  4. HATE it and will avoid it at all costs. i.e. won't even bother to pick it out of you food

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Well as the title suggests what is your opinion on Cilantro. I will tell you mine, I think it tastes like soap and ruins anything that is cooked with it or added to. I think it is the most overpowering cooking herb out there.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I personally like it a lot. You have to be careful not to make it overwhelming, but I use it in a lot of stuff. My favorite is quesadillas with cilantro in them along with a cilantro and lime dip.

3. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

I like it in controlled quantities, but my girlfriend LOVES it. We made cilantro rice one time and she insisted that it would taste good with the amount of cilantro she added. Not so, haha. :D

She loved it though. She can't believe I don't like it in overbearing quantities.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I love the stuff, and can eat it by itself. In fact, whenever my mom is cooking, she keeps some on the side, just so I can pick at it :p.

5. Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I think I just barfed in my mouth a little bit. :rolleyes:

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When I was a teenager, my parents tried to make homemade salsa. They noticed on a tub of produce department salsa that one of the ingredients was cilantro. They put a pretty heavy amount in the salsa, and neither one of them would eat it.

I, on the other hand, ate it all and asked for more.

Today, when I make salsa I add a bunch of cilantro. Same with guacamole. I put it in rice when I steam it. It goes great in marinades. Yes, it's a pretty powerful flavor, but I love it.

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Dislike it a lot, it makes me gag just from the smell of it. My mom sometimes just boils it alone and it fills up the house, I gotta leave, when that happens. I don't know what it is, I just can't handle that particular smell.

8. macfem macrumors member

9. Surely Guest

Surely

CILANTRO IS THE ANTI-CHRIST!

It tastes like perfume and ruins everything.

I wish the FDA would ban and then eradicate it all.

:D

My wife loves it though. I think she's evil.

Apparently, there is a genetic predisposition to hating cilantro.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's an essential addition to Cesar salad-- add a sprinkle of finely diced fresh coriander, you'll be amazed. Cesar salad is Mexican food, after all-- invented in a fancy Tijuana speakeasy during Prohibition, when all the Hollywood swells would head to the border to party. That's why it's properly spelled Cesar, not Caesar: it's named after its Mexican chef inventor.

Cilantro is indeed a strong herb and is best used fresh and in moderation.

Also, ground cilantro seed is generally known as coriander in the U.S. and is a very important and savory spice for all sorts of things.

11. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Herb of the Gods!

Those of you in the South (U.S.) and lucky enough to have a Los Cucos nearby, I am envious and jealous-

The rest of you before you die, stop by and get some good ol' Mexicano.

12. Love macrumors 68000

Love

The only reason I can't eat soup at my local Vietnamese restaurant that is normally delicious is the ridiculous amount of Cilantro.

Blahs.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Easy solution: tell them to hold the cilantro. They don't make the broth with cilantro, they throw it in fresh right before they serve it.

That's what I do. I love Pho.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Being of Central American origin, our cooking styles tend to use it a lot. Oh by the way, in Honduras if you say Cilantro, no one will know what the hell you are talking about. You have to say, culantro.

Edit - For me, cilantro goes in the following:

*Soups
    *Salsas
    *Meat condiments
    *Guacamole
    *Some chicken recipes
    *Pizza

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Culantro is a slightly different herb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culantro

Cilantro, or coriander as I prefer to call it, is the best of all herbs (even the ones you can smoke!). Thinking about it is making me hungry!

16. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

17. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

My wife and I totally agree with you Abbie.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ahh you see, that's the real cilantro, what you see (the cilantro) is what we call Finner Culantro (Culantro Fino). It's the same deal, except the finner tends to be smaller, and leaves are smaller. Other than that, the exact same herb. Believe me, it's just the shape and form that changes, tastes stays the same thing.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I could eat it on just about anything. Love it. :)

20. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I want to say I love it. But isn't it almost always used in small quantities? Also, I can't imagine huge quantities or mixing it in any quantity on my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Cilantro is just not as versatile as something like yogurt which I can use for a dinner entree in a Greek dish, mix with cereal and fruit for breakfast, or make frozen as a dessert.

And if I hated cilantro and it was in my food, I would pick it out if it's big enough to see.

Sometimes I am not in the mood for something like whipped cream and if it comes on top of a brownie or hot chocolate, I scrape it off.

22. Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

That was a full blown throw up in the mouth!;)

23. Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I have also tried to tell the server to hold the cilantro. It never really works.

24. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Cilantro?

I had to resort to Google to realise that you were talking about coriander!

Lovely stuff. Particularly good in couscous (with lemon juice, fried onions, and tomato), in salads, or in Indian food.

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

So I have heard. Some people are able to correctly discern that the foul weed tastes like dish soap, while others are gustatorially handicapped and thus ignorant of the fact that the stuff is trying to poison them.