Cinema Display: 1x30" or 2x23"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kwill, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

As a graphic designer, I frequently use InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. I have long drooled for the 30" Cinema Display. Currently using the 23" (plastic frame), I am planning a mac pro purchase with either the 30" or a dual 23" displays. Text on the 30" seems small and difficult to read though images can be enlarged. From your experience, which is better?

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I dunno about experience :D, but if you have trouble with seeing the 30", and you can afford two 23" monitors, get them instead. Don't get something if you don't think you'll like it three weeks post-purchase. Believe me, I've got experience there.

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I don't speak from experience, but from a somewhat similar dream. I have a Dell 2407WFP-HC, (24"), and ever since I connected it to my MBP, I've dreamt of putting in a twin on a DVI splitter. Go for the dual monitors! Beautiful twin aluminum sexiness, like Swedish Twins.

Okay, now that I've blurted, let me say this.

Like you, I'm a heavy Creative Suites user; I have been dual screening for years: one monitor for the palettes, the other for the work. Made sense back when the prime screen was 1152x870, with a 1024x840 on the side.

Now, it's a mouse-a-thon to get from one side of my 1920 over to the other side of the 1440. And while having every InDesign palette open helps, its a little like looking for that needle in a haystack to remember where I left the Text Wrap dialog. I still use the keyboard shortcuts to flash the palettes, so I can find them.

I wonder if that second 23" ACD would be more pixels than practical? Maybe get a 30", and a cheaper secondary. That, in combination with a Spaces workspace (when CS3 plays nice with Leopard), may be more practical?

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Depends how you use the machine. The 30" has a more than capable amount of workspace, and with Spaces too, you might find you don't need a secondary monitor at all.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Two 23"s

One 30 is just too big. My graphic designer girlfriend actually traded in her 30 for two 20".

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Lots of threads on this...

I had two 23s and DEFINITELY like the single 30" better. The bezel in between monitors was annoying and having the dock on just one was kinda weird. Small stuff, but when you have an advanced setup of any kind, you get to be picky! :p

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

you can always get a 30" + 20" rotated

Attached Files:

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have a 24" and a 20" and i love it. I do wish the 20" was a bigger though. I would probably go with the 2x23" but its really personal preference.

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Arn, I just got a bro'ner. That looks like a VERY sweet set-up.

Oh, money, why has thou forsaken me?

I've never found the bezel distracting, but I typically don't have windows open across the two monitors. When you use it for palettes (or a running movie to accompany you as you work), the bezels help separate the workspace.

(Oh, to combine Arn's screenage with Grimace's Canon would be a tickly treat.)

10. Kwill thread starter macrumors 68000

Kwill

In addition to my current setup with the old 23" Cinema Display, I also have a 24" iMac with a 19" ViewSonic on the side. Two large U-shaped desks meet with monitors from both workstations back to back. Suffice it to say there is enough room to dual monitors. Rather than having the bezel in the center, one would be facing the chair and the other would be on the side. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I would like all the monitors to be aluminum like the iMac.

I must admit the secondary monitor on the iMac is little more than a place to lose one's cursor. It does have occasional benefits though. I think the comments about Spaces is something I have not considered. I have a copy of Leopard but have not installed it since I do large format printing and some drivers will not be compatible with Leopard until Q1 2008.

I am hoping for a large Cinema Display update soon. Faster ms response, LED backlighting and perhaps a slightly larger screen would turn drool to dollars. By that time, I should be able to benefit from Spaces.

11. Kwill thread starter macrumors 68000

Kwill

That lines up quite nicely. Is that an Apple Cinema Display rotated?

12. Nick T. macrumors regular

1920x1200 monitors are much easier on aging eyes than 30” monitors

I’ve been using dual Dell 2707WFP 27” monitors for almost a year on my WinXP box and think that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

When I order my new MacPro I will certainly want another pair of Dell 27”s!

Pros:
    ...Easier on the eyes than current 23” and 30” monitors.
    ...Excellent color rendition
    ...Five front panel selectable inputs

Cons:
    ...Card reader ports are a little awkward to use.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I prefer a single monitor set up because I find the space/bezels distracting.

14. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I take it that the 30" vertical resolution is equivalent to the 20" horizontal resolution for consistency?

So what 20" 1600x1200 rotating monitors are out there?

15. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

30" all the way. It is really incredible and practical too (it has helped my work flow). I think the width of two 23" would be a bit bothersome.

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

There are a number out there. You just have to find one that has roughly the same screen width as the 30" has screen-height. Can't get a wide-screen one.

The one pictured there is not mine. I do have the same setup though 30" + 20". The one pictured is an HP LP2065

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176053&Tpk=lp2065

which reportedly has a good viewing angle, but is a bit more costly than the alternatives.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SynchMaster-204B-Digital-Monitor-Black/dp/B000E1CB1Q

This samsung monitor fits as well, but the viewing angle isn't as nice.

arn