Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquablue

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
5: questions:

1) Would the 30inch ACD or 24inch have noticeably bigger text than the 27inch?

2) If I got a LCD TV, wouldn't it be blurry up close due to low resolution similar to using the 27inch at lower rez?

3) How do you connect an LCD TV to a mac pro in the best possible way?

4) Is s-PVA much worse than IPS?

5) How come a 1920x1020 27inch looks much clearer than a 27 ACD at the same resolution?

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
1. Yes. Take a look for DPI on Wiki and calculate the numbers for those panels.

2. Nope. A TFT panel has only one resolution that is native. This resolution is predefined by the amount of pixel that are put into the panel. Apparently, the more pixels you put into a panel, the smaller the pixels have to be, hence resulting in a higher DPI.
Let me explain it like this. Assuming you run your panel with its native resolution (lets keep the 2560 on the 27" panel), every dot of your interface (OS X) is mapped directly to the panel (1:1), which makes the image crystal clear cause every pixel can be addressed individually.
Now lets say you select your interface to display 1920 on that 2560 res display. This way, every dot of the interface is mapped to 1.33 physical pixels of the display, so individual addressing isn't given any more, resulting in overall blurriness.

3. DVI, HDMI, whatever possible. As long as you avoid analog connections (VGA) you're fine.

4. No, as I said earlier, they are comparable.

5. Native resolution, see answer 2.

I hope this clears things up.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

that article is somewhat misleading because it points out color shifting in VA panels, but not in TN, where it just points out bad viewing angles. well, bad viewing angles is because of color/contrast shift.

S-PVA is not as good as IPS in viewing angles, but it should be better than TN. it has the highest contrast ratios but also the slowest response.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
the Dell makes more sense in almost everyway, but personally I just like the Apple one more. its prettier.

Hell, you have to look at the thing all day, so get the one you want, unless one has a mission critical feature or you are using it for serious work....IMO an ACD properly calibrated is good for most photowork except the most demanding.

The other thing is upgradeability...350 is a lot. If I bought an ACD for 999, its going nowhere fast, and if Apple switches to HDMI or something I would be pissed. A Dell on the other hand, could be replaced in 2-3 years/repurposed/given to a relative with no problem.

But when I look at the ACD I want to fall into it.....even when its off!

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Cinema Display 27" for me. I originally bought the DELL U3011 and shipped it right back. I really, really dislike the "sparkle" effect that all the DELL Ultrasharp monitors have. The Cinema Display 30" had the same "sparkle" effect and was always a deal breaker for me. I'm sure some people are not bothered by this however, in which case the DELL would be the best option. Just keep in mind there is a very huge difference between the surface treatment of both displays.

And redkamel, Apple will never replace miniDisplayPort with anything but Light Peak. :)

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
I'm about to order my Mac Pro but I'm not sure which display to go with.

The Cinema Display is of course made for the Mac Pro, is LED and has built in speakers(but I've read the quality on them is bad). Plus I do like the screens on my iMac and MBP.

But an Ultrasharp 27" from Dell is $350 cheaper and has a much higher rating from Cnet.

I have no Dell or Apple Store nearby to look at them and you can't get a sence of how good they are looking at them on the Apple and Dell sites. Any help would be appreciated.
Some months later, are you happy with your decision?

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Some months later, are you happy with your decision?

Is it even clear what decision was made?

I just noticed the u3011 is back in the dell refurb store for $899. Seems like a strong deal if you're in the market for a big IPS panel. The best I've seen recently on the new ones was a 25% off coupon bringing it down to $1050 or so.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Love my Dell U2711. I have a Windows desktop that I use primarily as a gaming rig only anymore... but now that I have my MBP and have used it hooked up to the Dell I have learned to appreciate it much more.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
The new ACD's have a very nice image in my opinion and I do really like the glossy display. But if price is an issue (as it is with most people, especially in todays economy), then a display from another company probably is not a bad idea.

Just a personal story.... I have a few of the 'last generation' 20 and 23" ACD's. I was particularly fond of the fact that they matched the look of the Mac Pro's and the PowerMac G5's. It really looked sleek when it was all put together on my desks and workstations. Throw in the Macally G series enclosures and it was almost impossible to beat the look.

raysmd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
I'm also leaning towards the 27" cinema display. The price is almost the same with the much higher acclaimed NEC PA271W.

BUT, with the NEC, I'd have to get addition speakers and it makes it much more difficult to attach speakers if it's being driven my a MBP in clamshell mode.

MacFly69

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
i'm getting a great deal on a ACD 27" that i'd like to use to edit photos. i'm currently killing myself by doing this on my 13" MB.

speaking strictly for photo editing, would the ACD or a Dell be a better choice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.