CIRP Says iOS Loyalty 'Hit the Highest Levels We've Ever Measured' Last Quarter

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nine out of every ten iPhone users who upgrade their smartphone will stick with the iPhone, a recent survey suggests.

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners surveyed 500 consumers in the U.S. who activated a new or used phone in the final three months of 2018 and found that 91 percent of iOS users upgraded to another iPhone. Android users were also loyal, with 92 percent of respondents upgrading to another Android smartphone.

CIRP said loyalty for both iOS and Android has steadily increased, reaching the highest levels it has ever measured last quarter.

"Loyalty hit the highest levels we've ever measured," said CIRP co-founder Mike Levin. "Learning a new operating system takes effort, so fewer and fewer customers have found the need to switch. This, coupled with the quality and reliability of new phones is likely contributing to the longer upgrade cycles we are witnessing."

Article Link: CIRP Says iOS Loyalty 'Hit the Highest Levels We've Ever Measured' Last Quarter

Reactions: jeremiah256

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Nice phones and the longer life cycle is the thing it can justify the price. Still, the battery goes down the drain quickly, so within the lifespan of the iPhone, you may need to go through a multiple batteries. And those prices thought. Maybe not too bad in USA, but elsewhere, eye watering.

Reactions: martyjmclean

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
I'm not surprised, personally when deciding on a new phone it's always which iPhone will i get, rather than which phone will i get. iPhone has always been my go to phone. Android devices just aren't as good in my opinion.

Reactions: callea

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Interesting figure. Not sure if it's anything to SHOUT about though.

So, for every 10 iPhone users who upgrade, 1 will change over to Android.

So for every 100 people, 10 will change to Android.

For every 1000 people who upgrade, 100 will change to Android.

For every 10,000 people, 1000 will change over to Android.

Is this good then?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
You can't really blame Apple for raising prices with this kind of brand loyalty. With upgrade cycles becoming longer higher prices are one way to increase profit even if less are sold.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2009

Is this good then?
With that same logic. The reverse is also true.. for every 10,000 people that upgrade their android. 800 will switch to Apple...
so Apple is only losing “200” people...

callea

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Italy
With that same logic. The reverse is also true.. for every 10,000 people that upgrade their android. 800 will switch to Apple...
But 8% coming from Android to Ios are more users than 10% coming from Ios to Android.
So Apple gains users.

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
Wow, they surveyed 500 people, great job! This isn’t enough data to determine anything.
I don't know about that. I didn't read through the details but if they are just looking at the U.S., than a standard confidence level of 95% and a confidence interval of under 5 would be more than sufficient. Depending on how the study was structured, and the tests they used, 500 seems like an excessive number. I suspect they used a sample of 500 because it was standard policy.

Ramchi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
India
If it is so, it is because of the flexibility offered in the Android ecosystem to go out and try other OS without having to marry an expensive ecosystem and continue to pay ransom. You have options for budget, 720p 5 inch display, 1080 6 inch display, 6.5 inches QHD display with premium spec matching anyone in that segment. Android users never get lost even if they switch momentarily.

For me iPhones have become prohibitively expensive and with no choice I had jumped the iOS ship and never looked back.

But iOS in general provides great experience and good hardware, but they are behind Android in Dual SIM feature for various things(Dual WhatsApp and Dual iMessages - not available). I hoped a lot on XR ricing but as expected XR 128 GB & 256 GB do not worth $200 & $300 respectively, more than Note 9 512 GB IMO which I currently own !

Reactions: simonmet

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wow - I'm surprised Android has consistently had a higher loyalty rate since December 2016. Is that true going all the way back to the beginnings of Android and iOS?

Reactions: aylk

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I don't know about that. I didn't read through the details but if they are just looking at the U.S., than a standard confidence level of 95% and a confidence interval of under 5 would be more than sufficient. Depending on how the study was structured, and the tests they used, 500 seems like an excessive number. I suspect they used a sample of 500 because it was standard policy.
I can see your point, however, since I didn’t see where in the article it states how they arrived at these numbers, we can both only speculate.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015

Is this good then?
Much higher levels of switching happens from android to iOS .

Suttree

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Flawed survey. But I’m thrilled with switching to amazing Samsung phones. Samsung got da specs iPhonedon’t. No one cares about productivity on a phone, Apple. It’s all about the screen.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015

Nine out of every ten iPhone users who upgrade their smartphone will stick with the iPhone, a recent survey suggests.

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners surveyed 500 consumers in the U.S. who activated a new or used phone in the final three months of 2018 and found that 91 percent of iOS users upgraded to another iPhone. Android users were also loyal, with 92 percent of respondents upgrading to another Android smartphone.

CIRP said loyalty for both iOS and Android has steadily increased, reaching the highest levels it has ever measured last quarter.

"Loyalty hit the highest levels we've ever measured," said CIRP co-founder Mike Levin. "Learning a new operating system takes effort, so fewer and fewer customers have found the need to switch. This, coupled with the quality and reliability of new phones is likely contributing to the longer upgrade cycles we are witnessing."

Article Link: CIRP Says iOS Loyalty 'Hit the Highest Levels We've Ever Measured' Last Quarter
Apple Watch & AirPods have made sure I never even think of switching to any other platform. I can wait a few years ,until the iPhone X comes down in price. iOS needs a new coat of paint ,& I believe iOS 13 will be bringing that(hopefully remove the giant volume HUD)

Reactions: Dave245

maxfm

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
I find this depressing. It's largely indicative of the fact that mobile OSes are great at creating lock-in through native apps and services like iMessage and FaceTime. Competition is GOOD for consumers, and this is a sign that Apple's users aren't threats to leave.

And I don't blame people for not wanting to switch to Android. My issue is with Apple's monopolistic practices in the early 2010s that crushed all other competitors out of the market... WebOS, Windows Mobile and Blackberry 10 all had interesting innovations but gained no traction with consumers due to the lack of quality native apps and cross platform widely adopted messaging services.

maxfm

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
Wow - I'm surprised Android has consistently had a higher loyalty rate since December 2016. Is that true going all the way back to the beginnings of Android and iOS?
It makes sense. If you don't want to spend $600+ on a phone, your only option is Android. That's a big block of the market.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2014
It actually worries me that Apple has seen a decline in sales after releasing an iOS 12 that speeds up older devices. I doubt we will see this type of release ever again.

Reactions: ex0dus1985