MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112729-cirrus_logic_logo.jpg

Dow Jones Newswires reports that Cirrus Logic, Apple's long-time supplier for audio chips in its iOS devices, has disclosed manufacturing issues with a new device, presumed to be an Apple product, that went into high-volume production last month.Cirrus supplies analog chips for use in various energy and audio applications, most notably Apple devices such as the iPod and iPad. Apple makes up about half of Cirrus's revenue, helping the semiconductor company post strong sales and increased profitability in recent quarters as the popularity of Apple devices continued to rise.

But Cirrus late Thursday said it had determined an earlier test for a particular function of a new audio product--which analysts assume is for Apple--was insufficient to guarantee that all products met a certain standard. After a more rigorous test was developed, Cirrus found fewer working chips than previously expected, with that yield loss rising as volumes increased.While Cirrus has reportedly addressed the issue without meaningfully impacting any device launch, the company has taken a charge against its earnings that will result in decreased gross margins reported for the first quarter of 2011.

Speculation suggests that the device in question may have been the iPad 2, which was in very short supply in the first few weeks of availability and has only recently begun to see shipping times and in-store availability improve. While demand for the iPad 2 has clearly been high, there have been claims that certain issues with components such as the device's display have slowed production and contributed to the shortages.

Analysts have, however, left open the possibility that the device experiencing issues could be an unreleased device, although one of the primary candidates, the fifth-generation iPhone, is not expected to be released in its usual June timeframe this year and appears to have not gone into production yet.

Article Link: Cirrus Logic Experienced Production Problems With Components for Apple Device?

Cheerwino

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
S.C.
Yep, must be the awesome new ix.Mac.MarketingName!

Can't wait to get one and find out what it does.

Comment

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Hang on a second... we're not even certain that this is an apple product that is being talked about here!

EDIT: Oh go on then... I'm going to guess at an apple HDTV! (A clear case of my heart ruling my head!)

Comment

ActionJax

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
I hope this means that Apple is forcing Cirrus to improve the quality of their audio codecs. I don't care much for my iPhone 4's pops, clicks, zipper noise, and hiss. These problems did not exist when Apple used Wolfson codecs, or at least the problems were not as pronounced.

In fairness, Apple's own hardware or software could contribute to these problems too.

Comment

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
So let me see if I have this right...

A company that makes audio chips for Apple may or may not have resolved an issue with a part that may or may not be part of an Apple iOS device that is or is not yet in production.

I've heard of rough drafts, but jeez.

Comment

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
It's the iPhone 5. If it was an already-released product, they would just say what it is.

Since when have Apple's manufacturers revealed anything about production plans of any of the products, even after launch?

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
A company that makes audio chips for Apple may or may not have resolved an issue with a part that may or may not be part of an Apple iOS device that is or is not yet in production.

I've heard of rough drafts, but jeez.
That's why this site is called MacRumors, not MacFactsEtchedInStone nor MacPressReleases.

Comment

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
If those Apple snobs would just drop their standards, this kind of stuff would not happen. They need to get off this quality thing and just cut the price down as low as they can get it, just like everyone else.

At this rate, Apple will be banned from Walmart.

Comment

jacksonkeller

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
presumed to be an Apple product, that went into high-volume production last month.

Chips for Ipad2 would have been in mass production for more than that. It has to be something else. From bare silicon to a completed wafer is around 30 days. That doesn't include all the steps to get the chip off a wafer and onto a circuit board.

Comment

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Apple will probably still sell them to you... and you will still defend them haha

Comment

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I'd laugh so hard if the white iphone was delayed again haha...

Apple is way to far ahead of themselves lately. They cant even release a product that doesn't have problems hahaha

Comment

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Apple will probably still sell them to you... and you will still defend them haha

And you'll still buy cheap quality hardware all of the time from PC, Phone, MP3, and tablet manufacturers and never know the difference...there's got to be a great proverb out there to display the irony...

Comment

funkyT80

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
With the amount of ridiculous information that MR gets about Apple's supply line, I'm fairly certain I'm qualified to be their COO at this point. :D

Comment

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
It's the iPhone 5. If it was an already-released product, they would just say what it is.
Since when have Apple's manufacturers revealed anything about production plans of any of the products, even after launch?

Yep. Corning can't even say Apple is one of its customers, and it has the most visible component of all their iDevices:

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/#featured-products

"Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass."

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.