Cisco VPN & Remote Desktop Killed by Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dgm, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dgm macrumors member

Upgraded to SL on Friday evening and so far it seems to be working great. However, both my Cisco VPN Client and my Remote Desktop now refuse to run.

With Cisco I get: Error 51 Unable to communicate with the VPN subsytem

Remote Desktop: Remote Desktop Quit Unexpectedly.

Anyone have suggestions for me? I really need these 2 applications to log into my office computer while I'm at home.

thanks!
    Daniel

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yes I noticed the same thing after I upgraded but after a quick Google search it turned out that SL has VPN... BUILT IN! :eek:

Just go to Network Preferences, bottom-left hit the "+" button and add a Interface of type VPN. You'll figure out the rest from there. Mine is setup using a shared secret key and it works flawlessly.

It's better integrated and easier to use than Cisco's crappy VPN client.

Enjoy.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Oh and as for Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection. That continued to work fine for me after the upgrade. So I suggest perhaps a reinstall of that.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Remote desktop and Cisco VPN work fine for me. I did a clean install, not an upgrade.

5. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I can help with the Cisco VPN problem, since I had the same one when I first upgraded. Just reinstall the application, and it will work just fine. If you don't have the original installation file, you'll need to search the web for version 4.9.01.0180. Plenty of universities host it for free download. Something about the Snow Leopard installation breaks the client, but reinstalling it fixes it. I'm having to use the standalone Cisco client now because the built-in client doesn't do IPSec over UDP. I've had no trouble using Remote Desktop, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Just curious. Sky Blue, why do you still use Cisco's VPN client when SL has support for it built-in now?

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Unless you're using an IPSec over UDP connection, and then it doesn't work at all.

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Because as I mentioned in another post, the SL client doesn't do IPSec over UDP connections, so those of us in that situation are stuck with the Cisco client until Apple decides to fix that.

9. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yea I edited my post after I actually fully read yours. I'm surprised it doesn't work over UDP. It does seem like an unusual setup, though.

10. tplatt macrumors newbie

CoRD is a great free alternative as well, I quit using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection a year ago , switched to CoRD and never looked back...

http://cord.sourceforge.net/

11. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

That's good to know. Cheers for that. Do you know if you have the ability to import the .pcf files that the Cisco client uses?

12. tplatt macrumors newbie

I'll also add that it (SL's Cisco IPSec implementation) seems significantly slower than the Cisco client software. That is a very non-scientific conclusion I've drawn after using it several times since Friday. Not sure if it's my imagination, but that's the feeling i get.

13. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I've tried CoRD before but it seemed laggy to me for some reason or another. Does CoRD have folder sharing these days?

14. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I don't see that option anywhere, no.

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

True. I'm hoping Apple updates the built-in client so that I can use that instead of Cisco's. I don't know why, but I hate that little thing.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm using Cisco VPN Client 4.9.01 (0100) and it works fine, though I did have to reinstall it. What version do you have?

The built in Cisco VPN is *****.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Tried it and it doesn't work, never had a problem with the Cisco client.

18. tplatt macrumors newbie

Older version were indeed very laggy. The latest version is quite good. I do not believe it supports folder sharing, but I haven't looked into it deeply.

19. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Hmm after two people have said that SL's built-in solution is "*****" and slower than Cisco's, I think I have to go back and revisit it and test it for myself. I was just super excited to not have to launch Cisco's app, the convenience of it took over me.

Honestly though, and I don't know if this is due to SL's overall snappiness, my remote desktop connection has never appeared faster to me. This is using SL's built-in Cisco IPSec.

Weird.

20. dgm thread starter macrumors member

well, although excited at first, I have realized that I also need IPSec/UDP and the built in SL one is useless for me.

I need to find a download (upgrade) of the Cisco client and am having trouble finding a free one. Anyone have a link to share?

thanks

21. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

22. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

My remote desktop works fine after upgrade.

I have NetExtender VPN from Sonicwall and it works fine after upgrade too.

23. tjsears macrumors newbie

Cisco working on SL for me.

It gave the same error as the OP. But, I just deleted and re-installed. Easy-Pesy..

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

25. pdutcher macrumors newbie

I noticed that the /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN directory got removed after installing SL. I simply restored it from the time capsule then ran sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN start . After that I was able to use my CiscoVPN client and did not lose any of my connection entries.