Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I noticed that the /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN directory got removed after installing SL. I simply restored it from the time capsule then ran sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN start . After that I was able to use my CiscoVPN client and did not lose any of my connection entries.

That's precisely why I had to reinstall as well - the directory was deleted after installing SL.

tplatt

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Hmm after two people have said that SL's built-in solution is "*****" and slower than Cisco's, I think I have to go back and revisit it and test it for myself. I was just super excited to not have to launch Cisco's app, the convenience of it took over me.

I'll backtrack a bit... I've now been able to test extensively with both Cisco's SL compatible client (4.9.01.0180) vs SL's built in support and both the MS RDP client as well as the latest version of CoRD (0.50) and I'll say I will be using Snow Leopard's built in Cisco IPSec Support going forward. The performance is fine, the degradation I was seeing was due to a back version of CoRD on my older laptop, using version .50 it's great, as it is with the MS RDP client. The only annoyance I still can't eliminate is that it takes me an average of two login attempts with the snow leopard VPN, whereas it seems to work first time every time with the cisco client. Annoying, but not a show stopper. I will gladly put up with that if it means I can uninstall the Cisco client :)

I'm really happy Apple decided to add this support to SL, it's very comforting to know I will be able to walk up to any SL mac and access VPN with a minimum of configuration, and no special software needed. This alone makes me feel like I've gotten my $29 worth (I actually bought the family pack box set to get iLife 09/iWork 09 so I'm very happy overall).

Slooooooow

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
My office moved away from the Cisco VPN to Juniper Network Connect so I can't confirm function of that.

I CAN confirm that my M$ Remote Desktop Connection application no longer functions and experiences the same error as you're receiving. I upgraded - not a fresh install.

I guess I'll uninstall it and reinstall it. I'll inform you of the results.

midnightgolfer

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
The latest vpn client from Cisco works fine with IPsec over UDP & RDC on Snow Leopard

The latest vpn client from Cisco works fine with IPsec over UDP

I just installed Snow Leopard and I couldn't get the built-in VPN to connect, BUT, after installing the latest client from Cisco, I am again able to connect (using the Cisco client - and my company's IPsec UDP connection.)

RDP works great, too.

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I noticed that the /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN directory got removed after installing SL. I simply restored it from the time capsule then ran sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN start . After that I was able to use my CiscoVPN client and did not lose any of my connection entries.

This fixed it for me, as well. Thanks.

nrausch

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
VPN / ARD one machine only?

So, after upgrading to 10.6.1 at home this weekend....

When I VPN to the office, I connect quickly and have control of the server that hosts VPN, but cannot see any other device on the network. No Ping, nothing...

Previously (10.5.8 at home), Once I VPN'd I had great access to the whole network.

Using the built in VPN client.

Any insight appreciated.

I'm thinking of restoring to 10.5.8, but what a pain...

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Running SL 10.6.1, using built-in VPN to Cisco ASA w/ UDP as default, and no issues at all. RDP works fine, no upgrade, etc.

Guess I should consider myself lucky! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.