Carrier CL... iPad Air Disabled.. Same as Activation Lock?

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
I'm curious to buy an iPad Air on CL but the guy told me that it's locked. I had him send me a picture and it says iPad Air Disabled, connect to iTunes.
Is this the same as the activation lock? Or can I actually wipe the iPad?

Attachments

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I'm curious to buy an iPad Air on CL but the guy told me that it's locked. I had him send me a picture and it says iPad Air Disabled, connect to iTunes.
Is this the same as the activation lock? Or can I actually wipe the iPad?
That doesn't seem like the activation lock. It looks as if the guy incorrectly tried to enter the passcode too many times and disabled it. If you can, bring a laptop with you and see if you can try to restore it.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
That doesn't seem like the activation lock. It looks as if the guy incorrectly tried to enter the passcode too many times and disabled it. If you can, bring a laptop with you and see if you can try to restore it.
Sounds correct to me. However, I would avoid the sale all together. If it actually belonged to the seller, they would know the passcode.

If they can't even get passed the lock screen, I doubt they were able to disable the activation lock. There is a good chance you will end up with an unusable iPad.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
I'd try to restore it with him there. That should be able to be handled by a DFU restore if nothing else, but that doesn't help you if it is also suffering from an activation lock. You wouldn't find out about that until you tried to activate it after the restore.

Also, might want to ask why he can't unlock it. Is it possiblly a stolen iPad?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I think you are right as if it was an activation lock, it would not be telling you to connect to iTunes.

I would not buy it without getting it to work first! The seller should have done this before he tried to sell it,that is if it can be done.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I think you are right as if it was an activation lock, it would not be telling you to connect to iTunes.

I would not buy it without getting it to work first! The seller should have done this before he tried to sell it,that is if it can be done.
Even though it is not an activation lock, Find My iPad may still be enabled and the OP would not be able to erase/restore the iPad. I definitely agree that this is very suspicious.

Saint.Icon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2014
Sounds correct to me. However, I would avoid the sale all together. If it actually belonged to the seller, they would know the passcode.

If they can't even get passed the lock screen, I doubt they were able to disable the activation lock. There is a good chance you will end up with an unusable iPad.
This. Buying a stolen iPad is going to do nothing but give you grief. Plain and simple.

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
Well from my understand he had it listed up with a bunch of other electronics. Apparently he's moving, I originally wanted the ps3 he was selling but saw he had an iPad. He said it was a 4th gen iPad and have me the model number and it came up as an iPad Air. He sent me picture of the serial number and that picture I attached. Is it too much of a good deal?

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Well from my understand he had it listed up with a bunch of other electronics. Apparently he's moving, I originally wanted the ps3 he was selling but saw he had an iPad. He said it was a 4th gen iPad and have me the model number and it came up as an iPad Air. He sent me picture of the serial number and that picture I attached. Is it too much of a good deal?
How much is he asking for it? Have you asked him why it's disabled?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Tell him to DFU restore it first. That eliminates the disabled thing if that's the only issue. If he can't or won't do that, then stay away because it's likely iCloud locked as well then.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
If he didn't even know which model it was it probably isn't his.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Spend a little extra and get a refurbished model from Apple.

These shady Craigslist listings are not worth the hassle. People selling iPads legitimately are not going to sell them for much lower than they are worth. People generally know what they are worth.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I also recommend going with a refurb over a CL sale, I think its a safer transaction.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I've forgotten the passcode to an old device before.

And I know a lot of people who don't know what device they device. They can't differentiate between iPad 1/2/3/4/Air or between an iPhone 4 or iPhone 5.

If there is no activation lock, a restore in iTunes will fix this issue.

rajpatel

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
People have been murdered buying iPads on cl......not worth it, even wo ur lock issue. Go refurb

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
If the seller doesn't know Apple model and he might have tried to enter passcode too many times and he doesn't now how to restore it then iPad is stolen. Not worth your time, fella. :apple: