Claims of it being underpowered...I

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by David58117, Dec 4, 2015.

1. David58117 macrumors 65816

After reading this board, I expected the rMB to be nothing but a lag fest, and pretty incapable as a computer.

But I bought the base model anyway.

Am I the only one who isn't finding that to be true?

I've had word open with a document, ran Sibelius with a midi I'm working on playing, had skim open with two large PDFs, safari with 3 tabs, 3 desktops open, all while zooming in and out and adding layers to the muscle groups in essential anatomy.

It was very smooth, and activity monitor had everything at high 80% to low 90% system idle.

I guess in fairness I don't transcode, but I really haven't had any issues with day to day activities,,

Has the rMB been patched to smoothness, or were those claims just severely exaggerated?

2. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Severely exaggerated by haters who have never used the product. Every week there is a new batch of them spreading ignorance and misinformation.

Enjoy!

BJ

3. brentsg macrumors 68030

Remember, the only sensible thing to do is wait a year (maybe) for Skylake. It will save the day! /s

4. Admiral, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

My base 1.1GHz MacBook is indeed sometimes a lag monster, but only in the specific use case of playing video with Movist or VLC and trying to so any other work with the machine. Video taxes this thing quite a bit. Otherwise it's great. My problem is I do watch video quite a bit while I'm doing other work. Skylake reportedly has 15% better CPU performance, clock-for-clock, and Skylake is supposed to also bring 40% better GPU performance overall and hardware decoding of H.265 video. I'm glad I got the MacBook, but golly, I am curious about what Skylake or Kaby Lake could do for me.

5. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I'm really impressed. I have a base and it is as good or surpassing my 2014 base 11" mba. And of course, the screen is very readable. This is quite a computer and those early negative comments are questionable. I use it everyday.

6. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

I switch back and forth between a 2013 Mac Pro and the base model rMB. I don't notice any significant difference for the basic stuff - web browsing, email, office, music, photos, videos, etc.

It's just not a video editing machine, or bluray encoding machine, or heavy VM usage, etc.

I find it really a riot that people keep going on about "Skylake" as though it's the cure for world poverty.

The GPU improvements will indeed be welcome, but not nearly as earth-shattering as the over-hyped claims.

CPU-wise, I guarantee that 98% of users won't be able to tell the difference between the current Broadwell rMB and a new Skylake rMB without running benchmarks.

7. SteveJUAE, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes it's surprising how capable and how modest your day to day requirements can be

It also helps if you are more disciplined, I notice my middle son never seems to close a tab and he has 20 or so open on his rMBP along with a lot of other stuff he maybe doing

If they had (or do) produce an all singing and dancing rMB without compromising the foot print I would of bought it out of habit or just for the potential even if not used or only occasionally

One wonders if similarly on smartphones there could be something equally as stylish, more refined, impossibly thin yet at a premium quality, I don't know what others are doing on there phones to get lag and all these other problems. If you want a device that takes advantage of the million or so apps available get a tablet or the plus series phones. This apps legacy/overhead is prohibiting a svelte device IMO.

If there was a phone with a 4" or 5" screen 3-4mm thick made of titanium and carbon with core comms and 20-30 apps that runs like liquid velvet for a grand I would buy one tomorrow.

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

Not to mention that Broadwell was to be a miracle when Haswell was a thing.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think overall the Core M processor has been receiving negative press, and that includes the RMB. For many mobile tasks, i.e., office, web, emails and some medium level work (some photoshop) the rMB is proving itself to be a decent computer provided buyers don't have an expectation of computing the mass of the universe on it. :)

10. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Trouble is the rMB is a bit like a cold shower when you realise 95% of the time your not a power user and the other 5% can be accomplished with a relatively cheap desktop.

Buyers have to event lots of scenarios to convince themselves they will be experiencing hours of lag and it will be like churning butter on a rMB, instead of embracing the portability and design :)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have long since accepted that fact. I used think, man I need a powermac (or Mac Pro) to get my work done. In truth, I'm a light to medium PS user, and a more intensive Lightroom user. Even so the I'm not needing the high end of a model line any longer.

12. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

There's nothing wrong with overkill if you can afford it, but we have all seen many posts where buyers are on a tight budget and $1 or 200 is significant factor along with the hope the device will be good for +3 years.

But often a truthful assessment of your uses will allow you to upgrade more frequently for little cost delta compared to trying to max out specs for long-term ownership.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I usually over provision my computer purchases, since we don't know what the future will bring but that doesn't mean I'll add all the custom upgrades. For instance, I see no need to opt for the high end M395x GPU or the 3TB (or the 1TB SSD) on the iMac. Those options fall out of my bang for your buck purchase decision.

14. Max(IT), Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

after reading this board one could expect:
    - all iPhones bend by themselves;
    - all iPad rattles like crazy snakes just playing music;
    - all the iDevices have defective displays;
    - iOS is a lagfest , almost unusable an it requires at least 3-4 taps on an icon just to start an app;
    - the Mac Pro is a useless toy;
    - the MacBook is a netbook good for Mail (barely);
    - the iMac is a disposable computer that can't run Pac Man at 30 fps;
    - Apple is doomed;

I could go on and on.
    Just use this forum for the good part of it: problem solving and rumors.
    Lately it become a nest of haters and serial complainers. If you need advice about a product, try it by yourself.

15. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Me too I somehow just cant force myself to spring for the 1TB SDD, yet :)

16. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Amen. Apple has other computers for that (I think).

BJ

17. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I have been using mine for a couple of days now and it doesn't seem underpowered too me, I am not a power user though.

I have been uploading photos on this and also on my mid 2014 rMBP and the MB was just as fast, in fact between the two everything is just about the same speed, if there is any difference it's only a fraction of a second.

My only dilemma now is which one to keep, i enjoy the larger screen of the rMBP but the 12" on the MB is probably big enough. But i do love the design, the size and lightness of the MB, it makes the rMBP seem a bit prehistoric yet I've only had it 9 months. It's proving a very difficult decision to make, luckily i am not in a rush i have until the 20th of Jan 2016 to decide, but i won't leave it that long just in case something happens to one of them, i will try and make a decision in the next week or so.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since your MBP is under a year old, I'd say keep that, but you do seem enamored with the rMB. Would you sell the MBP if you opt for the rMB - that may help soften the blow to your bank account.

19. Z3man, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

Z3man macrumors 6502a

Yes i will sell the MBP if i decide to keep the rMB, cant afford to keep both. I must admit at the moment i am edging towards the rMB, really love how small and portable it is, MBP seems huge now.

Another thing edging me towards the rMB is the speakers, they are very good, better than the MBP's which is surprising when you consider how thin this laptop is. I know speakers are not the be all and end all but it is a nice bonus how good they are on the rMB.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It certainly sounds like you're liking the rMB more then the rMBP.

As for the speakers that's a bit surprising, I thought you were going to say the rMBP's speakers were better.

21. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I wasn't totally surprised by how good the speakers were as i had read the reviews saying how good they were. They are a bit louder and a bit less tinny than the MBP's. I think having a speaker grill makes a difference, whereas the MBP's sound comes through they keyboard. With Apple designing the rMB with a speaker grill, i think they really wanted it to sound good so they put a bit of effort into it. It really is a nice bonus, i find myself carrying the rMB around the house from room to room listening to music and radio etc, it's even loud enough to use while i am in the shower which is another nice bonus, also fits on the bathroom window ledge just nicely.

22. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Exactly it's daft but that little bit of a smaller footprint is enough to tip the scales on picking up the rMB and moving with it and the grin on your face each time you do

I have noted before you actually get more use out of the rMB just because it's no effort to take with you, bathroom I'm not so sure but at least it has no fans to circulate moist air

23. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean i will probably use this even more than the MBP and that was quite a lot. If i am going out for the day i might take it with me and tether it to my 6s if needs be. I also have about 4 or 5 holidays a year where i do quite a lot of walking with a backpack on, so now i might take the rMB with me its that small and light, it really does make the MBP seem massive.

They are both excellent laptops in their own right, just each suits slightly different needs, i think the rMB suits mine more though.

Bathroom isn't very steamy, i always have the window open and the extractor fan on. In the past I've hooked my iPhone up to a bluetooth speaker when i go in the shower but half the time i couldn't be bothered, with the rMB is is just so easy.

I think i have definitely talked myself into keeping the rMB and selling the MBP. Also the rMB feels special just like the original Macbook Air did, even if it was under powered is was a still a special laptop and my favourite to date until now.

I am just liking this rMB more and more all the time, i don't think i could bring myself to return it now, and I've only been using it for 4 days.

24. AFEPPL, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

I'm a fan of the rMB, i don't own one but use one for work on occasion and have had no really issues with performance of the device. My .02cents is that MBA owners are not happy their device of choice didn't get the screen and feel a need to put down the product in rebuke.

If it works for you, who cares?
    Same with the port issue, I'm a pro user, but everything i do is over the network, so i don't get that gripe either.

25. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I think the MBA is rubbish compared to the rMB, tried one a couple of years ago and sent it back after a couple off days, mainly because of the poor screen. The original Air had a much better screen than the newer wedge shaped ones.

Ports on the rMB are no problem at all for me, on my MBP the only port i have ever used is the USB port and that wasn't very often, and i can still do that on my rMB even if i do have to use an adaptor.