Clamshell- Attempt 2

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Here we go again... so for those of you who don't know, I got my first Clamshell this past Monday and it's in great condition. However, I can't get the wifi card to work, at all. I've tried every troubleshooting method in the book, but got no where. Luckily, the seller I got it from on 68kmla bought 106 Clamshells and still had some, so he was willing to send me another one, free of charge. Best of all, I get to keep the other one! So now I'll have 2 iBook G3 Clamshells, both being 300MHz Tangerines. The new one is shipping today, so I'll have it soon. As for the first one, I'll keep working on it to try and figure out why the AirPort isn't working.

And yes, this time I'll take pictures and post them ;)

2. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Congrats!!! - But where's that man with the other 104 tangerine&blueberry Clamshells?

3. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

belgaonkar on 68kmla... Tell him Gamer9430 sent ya! No more blueberries, and only a few more tangerines.

4. Tunster macrumors 6502

I've just messaged the guy to see if he'd send internationally to the UK. Getting clamshells 2nd hand in the UK is hard. I have got my first Indigo on the way (with Firewire / 300Mhz). Looking to clean it up and upgrade the memory/hard-drive. Try and keep in as good nick as possible (maybe replacing parts if possible).

It's likely I'm going to toy with OS9 and then use it for some word processing/script writing at home.

5. bobesch, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Thanks for sharing that info. Nice to see other members of this forum at 68kmla too.
    No- well even if there were many left, I'm not to going for another Clamshell, since there are so many people in line to get one of these great books and I'm happy that I already have both of them. (Sometimes hard to stop that maniac me from looking for more occasions.)

Here's a link to my start with OS9 and the Clamshell.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/email-client-and-applications-for-mac-os9.1960993/
    There are many options to make it a nice member of a lifely network-computing experiance.

6. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Forgot to mention, I brought the Clamshell to school a few times this week because I'm working with my friend to 3D print new Apple logos for them. Anyway, I'm a Junior (11th Grade) in High School and no one else in my school is like me when it comes to tech, especially vintage tech. Everyone has come to know me as the Tech God and the guy with many computers, especially old ones. So I brought it in and showed it off to everyone. Most people couldn't believe that it still worked. A few people told me it looked very 90s. A lot of people said how much the loved the keyboard and the unique design. Upon showing it to my computer club, they were all completely amazed by its design. Most of the kids are freshman born in 2001 or later, so they all said they have never used anything older than Windows XP. I showed them OS 9 and they were completely shocked at its similarities to OS X. I then rebooted it back into Tiger, where a few commented that they like they disliked the metal design of Tiger.

Interesting to get a view from the generation of kids who weren't even born when less than ½ of my collection was current... (said by myself who was born in 1999).

I grew up on Win98, 95, and XP. I also used 7, 8, 8.1, and OS X 10.7-10.9 all before getting into collecting Macs and computers. Through collecting, I used OS X 10.2-10.6, as well as System/Mac OS 1-9.

I wish more people my age took the time to try the OSes and hardware that inspired what they use today...