Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clamshell_g3

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Hi do you wish apple made g4 clamshells?

I do because they have handles are small the keyboard is nice and its durable

Last edited:
Reactions: AmazingHenry

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I have a hot air rework station (aka fancy hot air gun) a 533Mhz 7410, and I just nabbed an (untested) blueberry iBook G3 off of ebay

Be afraid be very afraid :D
Shrouded in the wings of darkness... no, wrong... shrouded in the smoke of the last clamshell he burned, the wizard enters the stage and does it's magic on yet another poor and helpless Mac :D

Reactions: z970

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The iBook G3 Clamshell has an interesting design, but I don't think I would trade my aluminum unibody Retina MacBook Pro for it.

I recall someone on eBay was stuffing a 2015 MacBook Air logic board into them, but charging a pretty crazy price to match. Not sure if that listing is still up, doesn't seem to be.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If you cough up the cash, there are G4 Clamshells to be had on Ebay, although I personally wouldn't buy one of the currently available ones for several reasons.

I'm trying to add one to my collection, but I will more than likely buy one in England and outsource the work to there :)

BTW, I'm generally in agreement. The Clamshell design is interesting(which is why I have several) but ultimately it's big, heavy and just generally as "un apple" as could be now.

Within my current field of view(aside from the computer I'm using) there is a 13" unibody(non-retina) MBP, a Clamshell, and a Portable. It's telling to me that the Portable and Clamshell are closer in size than the Clamshell and the 13" :)

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I recall someone on eBay was stuffing a 2015 MacBook Air logic board into them, but charging a pretty crazy price to match. Not sure if that listing is still up, doesn't seem to be.
Yeah, I remember seeing a YouTube video on that. I remember looking it up and it was super expensive though.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
If you cough up the cash, there are G4 Clamshells to be had on Ebay, although I personally wouldn't buy one of the currently available ones for several reasons.

to quickly add to this,

the ones you see on eBay, the G4 CPUs are soldered onto the Lobos by a good friend of mine and i have great confidence in his skills

but sadly the ebay seller him self who does most of the work with the machines (final assembly etc) has proven to be less then stellar (the guy sends off the logic boards to my friend who solders on the G4 then sends them back to the ebay seller)

for that reason, i cant recommend one of the iBook G3s from that particular seller (esp at the price he is charging for them, at $200 id expect something better then a 8GB "SSD")

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Z8VImmT.jpg
I wouldn't mind having a clamshell iBook with a G4 chip and an XGA screen upgrade. It was a design that really fit the style apple was trying to convey at the time and was just an inviting fun machine to use. I also agree the keyboard and curved palm rests make them nice to type on.

My 366 Indigo iBook was also the first new world ROM laptop I ever purchased and served as my primary laptop from 2003-2006. It wasn't always reliable, but after a logicboard replacement 2 months after I bought it, it still works to this day and now has the entire family of Clamshells to join it.

Last edited:

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2012
I wouldn't mind having a clamshell iBook with a G4 chip and an XGA screen upgrade. It was a design that really fit the style apple was trying to convey at the time and was just an inviting fun machine to use. I also agree the keyboard and curved palm rests make them nice to type on.

My 366 Indigo iBook was also the first new world ROM laptop I ever purchased and served as my primary laptop from 2003-2006. It wasn't always reliable, but after a logicboard replacement 2 months after I bought it, it still works to this day and now has the entire family of Clamshells to join it.

Wow so cool! I would love to get a key lime one, but I can't find one anywhere!

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Show off ;)

But seriously, that’s an impressive lineup you’ve got right there. I finally got my first FW-model, being a 366MHz Indigo. I put 10.0 on it since I’ve never used it before. Was quite interesting, but overall very useless today (not that it was overly useful when new either LOL).

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
466mhz Key Limes tend to be pricey any time they come up for sale. I've passed on a few just because I didn't want to spend the amount needed to buy it at the time.

BTW, as a size comparison

View attachment 706636 View attachment 706637 View attachment 706638
Thats a really cool perspective. I've never seen a Mac Portable in person before, so that is one chubby machine.
[doublepost=1498858658][/doublepost]
Show off ;)

But seriously, that’s an impressive lineup you’ve got right there. I finally got my first FW-model, being a 366MHz Indigo. I put 10.0 on it since I’ve never used it before. Was quite interesting, but overall very useless today (not that it was overly useful when new either LOL).
I had to give 10.0 and 10.1 a try on a blueberry iBook just for novelty sake. I started using OS X at 10.2 so it was my first time to really use it. I think they're all dual booting 9.2.2 and either 10.3 or 10.4 now though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.