Class Action Lawsuit against AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtztgue, Dec 5, 2008.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

I am curious to know how many of you would be interested in pursuing a lawsuit against AT&T for not having mms on the iphone.

I see it this way. Jailbreaking is not illegal. Swirly mms or other mms programs are legal to have. AT&T claims that on our unlimited messageing plan we get mms, but when you use it they somehow disable it. I am sure a lot of you are aware of what they are doing.(heck, mms on the iphone works everywhere in the world exept at&t) ... I figure if we file a class action suit they will have to either A. enable mms for the iphone, or B. give us a discount and form a new plan for the iphone that is unlimited sms only and pay us back for services not delivered.

Any thoughts on this? anyone in here a lawyer that might have some advice or be willing to take this on?

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid you have no ground to stand on, because they never promised MMS on the iPhone, and there is no plan for iPhone that includes "unlimited MMS messages."

The unlimited message plan is for SMS only.

Text message does not equal MMS. Sorry.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What?

Who says they have to provide it?

Sound like someone trying to sue the cable provider for not carrying a certain channel.

They offer different plans for different phones. The services provided in the plans is clear.

Jailbreaking is illegal?
    Jail breaking may void the warranty just like modifying my jetski supercharger and air intake will void my warranty. Not stock no talk of warranty. you always have to except a level of risk in modifying something as stated in the warranty.

Good luck though but I have no interest.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

But wait a second.

I have Unlinited family messaging on my account where it states

With just one package - ALL lines in your FamilyTalk group can send and receive UNLIMITED text, picture, video and instant messages with anyone in the US.

Hmmmmm interesting.

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Yes, it's a stupid idea and is an example of why our courts are clogged with idiots and losers looking to have every boo boo rectified by the courts. If you want MMS, go with another carrier.

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If you want MMS that bad, then change to a non iPhone plan and enjoy it. You lose Visual Voicemail this way, but it works great.

But, I think you could sue them for this. If you get an unlimited plan that says it includes MMS, then they do need to provide it.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I do believe that my work here is done before it had a chance to begin.

OP, I'm going to sue because they don't have voice dialing... right. Everything quoted is all they need to say in court.

8. calvy macrumors 65816

Yes, let's do that. Lawsuits solve everything.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This is a piece of America right here.

It took me an extra few seconds to post this because this site slowed down. Let's sue Arn. My iPhone doesn't get a constant 5 bars of 3G signal, let's sue AT&T. I dropped my iPhone and the screen shattered. Let me sue Apple because they made a screen out of glass.

While I'm at it, why doesn't Arn sue you for wasting 17KB of space on the servers.

10. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

That is a funny quote!

But please people, let's give the OP a break! He or she has a right to state his/her thoughts and opinions! Right? Whether we agree with it or not. :cool:

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Really?

OP-

This thread is ridiculous. You make me embarrassed to be an American. Please stop.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I like that idea. We could join together for a class action as we all wasted the time to read this thread.:D

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

In all fairness, even though I am firmly against all forms of litigation, he's partial right. Within our texting plan, which is the same price as any other phone's texting plan price on AT&T, we are paying for the ability to send/receive mms, but yet we haven't the ability to to so.

I don't really know the cellphone business's ins and outs, but I'm sure someone is saving a bunch of money by having the iPhone not be able to send/receive mms.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I am curious to know how many of you would be interested in pursuing a lawsuit against rtztgue for not having a clue.

15. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

?? :confused:

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes!

We're not arguing that he shouldn't be allowed to speak, simple voicing OUR opinions about his.

17. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Yes, I know nobody was arguing that, and I know you are voicing your opinion... But, so was I! :p

18. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

I guess that answers that ?. BTW. The at&t contract and in office personnel specifically state that we get MMS. The phone has the ability to do it. By at&t not providing it, its Breach of contract. I agree a lawsuit should be the last resort, but has anyone else found a way to get at&t to honor their deal and phone plans? It is time to ratchet up the pressure on At&t and Apple to either provide mms or not charge us for it on their unlimited "messaging" plans.

I also have another phone for mms, but guess what at&t does when you switch the sim from your iphone to another phone so you can send an mms? It gets lockdowned and that phone wont send mms either.

The biggest frustration is that AT&T representatives swear up and down that we should be able to send mms, but there is something at corporate that shuts them down shortly after activating it by doing a network sweep. Charging for something and then purposely not providing it, is illegal.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Please either take a picture of this, link us to where we can find this, or screenshot it.

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'll be good money that when the contract says MMS, it includes a footnote that says "on compatible devices". My Rogers contract certainly has that disclaimer. Your carrier can't be held responsible for you selecting a handset that does not support a feature. That would be like buying a basic handset and a 3G data plan, and then complaining that they're ripping you off because you don't get 3G on your handset.

The iPhone does not presently support MMS. The fact that the hardware does is irrelevent. The phone, as sold, does not. Neither Apple nor AT&T make any claims that it does. To get it, you have to go through a practise that Apple officially discourages and does not support. That is not grounds for a lawsuit, and you'd be laughed out of any courtroom.

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Umm, isn't the lack of mms an iphone issue and not an AT&T issue? AFAIK, it is the iphone that does not support MMS. If this is the case, you haven't a peg to stand on. I suggest if this is indeed the case, perhaps you should sue apple instead. :rolleyes:

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Talk to apple for failing to put MMS on the phone. Really the fan boys need to blame the people who fault it is and that is apple plan and simple

23. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We have the same thing, unlimited SMS and MMS through AT&T and it's $30 a month. It's great for the other phones we have.

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

+1. Do this. Give it up afterwards, but do it anyway. You won't find it.

25. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Remember the lady that sued because she bought a cup of coffee that burned her legs when it spilled while she was driving? She won because the cup didn't state "caution, content is hot". She knew what she was buying when she bought it! She knew it would be hot! But she won anyway!

You may, or may not have a case. Only way to find out is by you contacting a lawyer with knowledge on these type of cases. Just because we may think you don't have a case doesn't mean you can't. I never thought that woman would win her case -- and she did.

Heck, if you do sue and win we will all thank you for it!