Class Ring

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thatoneguy82, Jun 11, 2012.

?

Type of Class Ring and If You Wear It?

1. High School - Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. High School - No

33 vote(s)
    84.6%
  3. College/Undergrad - Yes

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. College/Undergrad - No

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  5. Graduate - Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Graduate - No

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  7. Professional - Yes

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  8. Professional - No

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Lately, I've been noticing people's fingers and observed that a good portion wear their class ring. At least, what I'm assuming to be a class ring. Men's are more prominent than women's rings. I tucked away my class rings a couple years ago since I didn't want to wear any jewelry. Rings since I have a High School and a College one. Both are too big but the college fits well on my left middle finger, since I already have a band on my right ring finger. Not really sure how long it will last since it's loose and gets in the way at times.

Anyway, now I'm curious to see how many here also wear class ring. I believe there could be many types of class rings. High School, College/Undergrad, Grad, and Professional. Which are you?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I wear my college rung every now and then. It is lose on my finger. If I dress up a lot or am going to a more professional environment I tend to wear it.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have a high school one and an army one, no college ring.

I don't wear either of mine but they're nice keepsakes.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'm probably going to wear my engineer's ring when I graduate. As far as I know my university doesn't have rings.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I never bought a class ring. Would probably not wear it if I did which is why I likely never ordered one.

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

8. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I have three rings: high school, college from bachelors and college from masters.

I wear none of them and they're in some shoebox with other similar items.

9. 184550 Guest

I don't have a high school ring, an undergraduate ring and won't have a graduate ring.

I never really saw the point in getting one (or any). I'm not one for jewelry though; I wear a watch and that's it. I'll wear a wedding band if/ when I'm married.

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

Never got one from high school since I figured I'd never wear it - kind of wish I did though. And although I had the greatest time in college, I didn't get one for college either. In fact, I'd rather have my high school class ring than a college class ring.

Not big on jewelry - haven't even had a watch for almost 10 years.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I didn't get one. I'd rather get a Tissot or something.

12. avro707 macrumors 6502a

We never had them back when I was at school. You got a nice certificate and a very important letter with your grades. Then it was off you went.

Even if we did get them, I wouldn't wear them.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Didn't buy one at any of those levels. The last ring I wore before my wedding band was the initial ring that I received as a gift at my Bar Mitzvah.

14. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I got one my senior year of High School (parents made me get one). I don't even know where it is :p

15. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I have a high school ring, never wear it. It just sits in a box with other similar "junk". I'm glad I got one but don't see the point in wearing it.

16. ace198 macrumors regular

I didn't get a class ring for high school because it seems that anyone graduates nowadays. Not special at all.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Never bought a class ring. It never appealed to me, nor do I get the purpose. *shrug*

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Rings? :confused:

Receiving my degree was enough, as were the memories from my 9 years of uni. ;)

19. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I have never heard of 'class rings'. Is it an American thing? A souvenir ring for finishing a certain stage of school is a strange idea.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I never bought class rings.

In fact, I didn't attend my High School or College graduations. Also didn't attend my Doctoral Convocation.

Not much on ceremonies or school jewelry.

Didn't like school much (even though I went for about 100 years)...just send me my Diploma and leave me alone.:p:D

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never got sucked into buying a class ring, either from high school or college.

From what I noticed, people in high school wore them for a few weeks, but once they got to college, it was put away. College folks did the same thing wear them until they got a job and put them away.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Never bought either high school or college--I didn't anticipate ever wearing it and I had plenty of other things to do with the $300, as my parents weren't interested in buying it for me.

23. mtreys macrumors member

Parents offered to buy my HS ring but I turned it down. Never wanted to waste money on one. After 6 years, I finally entered college and once I get my Aggie(TAMU) ring....well, there won't be any taking that thing off - ever.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Man $300 would be getting off cheap. My ring in 2007 was like $800 and the same ring now is like is over $1400.

The ring I view it as a personal thing. I got a ring from TTU and to me it represents the work and struggles I went threw to earn that degree and yes it was a lot of work and struggle for me so yeah the ring means a lot. I would of gone 10k but my mom told told me to get 14k and she was paying for it. Either way it really depends.

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Looking at the site it looks like they started at $300ish for a silver version (I really don't care for gold jewelry) and ran up to $1800 with optional stones and high grade gold. Nobody I closely associate with wears a class ring with any regularity. Perhaps its a regional thing.