Classic app in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by isoMorpheus, Aug 11, 2011.

1. isoMorpheus Guest

I'm trying to run an application that is "Mac Classic Only" by Matt Neuburg, the extension is sit.

Here's where I got it(http://www.apeth.net/matt/default.html#agthings), it's the JACT Plato Reader and I am using Lion on an i7.

Is it simply impossible or does there exist a fairly straightforward workaround(oxymoron...)?

Cheers,

:apple:

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm pretty sure you are out of luck. With Lion dropping Rosetta (pre Intel OS X binaries) support, why would Apple keep Classic (Pre OS X binaries) support around in Lion?

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Natively - impossible. Classic works on PowerPC Macs running OS X versions up to 10.4. Classic has never been available on Intel Macs.

From Apple themselves : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2253

Perhaps try emulation software that runs classic Mac OS?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

".sit" is Stuffit archive format. You can probably use the current version of StuffIt Expander to un-stuffit. But, if there's an application which requires PPC, let alone OS-9 Classic, support, you're out of luck with Lion. Classic mode was dropped with Leopard.

Also, if I'm reading the link correctly, this requires HyperCard, which is long gone. I don't believe OS-X has ever supported it. Perhaps there's a third-party app that can read stacks, but I don't remember any. This assumes the contents of the StuffIt file are data, and not a Classic application.

5. mrmister macrumors regular

To be clear: it should be possible, as maintaining Classic, or having it available as an optional install you can purchase, is not technically complicated.

But Apple doesn't like it. So all that software goes fallow.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

HyperCard may be long gone, but SuperCard® is not. SuperCard® has been around nearly as long as HyperCard and is [largely] HyperCard-compatible. For users who only want to run SuperCard or HyperCard stacks, the SuperCard Player is free.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember SuperCard. I wasn't aware there was a player that ran on OS-X, so thanks for the tip.

For the OP: If there are data files when you un-stuff the archive, then perhaps the player will work for you. Again, if it's an app, then you're probably out of luck.

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

The unstuffed archive contains only the App "JACT Plato Reader".
    It's last modified date is August 1995.
    You'll need a PPC Mac that can run or emulate OS 9.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Or an Intel Mac that can emulate OS 9. SheepShaver is your friend. It works on both PPC and Intel Macs, and is actually faster on Intel Macs.

10. palyons macrumors newbie

Actually even if the archive is in .sit format, there's still a good chance the latest version of StuffIt will not work as expected. However one App I found that was able to extract older forms of .sit archives is called Archiver, formerly known as Rucksack.