Classroom-Focused 'Minecraft: Education Edition' Launches on macOS and Windows

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mojang today launched "Minecraft: Education Edition" for macOS and Windows platforms, allowing educators and administrators to begin introducing the game to students and use its copious tools and in-game systems to teach lessons in science, technology, engineering, math, history, language, art, and more (via TechCrunch). The game will come with a "Classroom Mode" companion app so teachers can manage settings within the seed created for their classroom, and even interact with the students in their world.

The game has been in a free trial testing period at some school across the country, totaling up to around 35,000 students and teachers who have used it so far. The full game now runs at a rate of $5 per user, with volume pricing available for larger schools. Those eligible to download Minecraft: Education Edition extend beyond normal public schools, and include libraries, museums, and individuals who are part of "nationally recognized home-school organizations."

The Minecraft: Education Edition website also includes resources for teachers to get started with the game, including pre-made lesson plans, helpful tutorials, and starter worlds that'll make it easier to acclimate students into the game's mechanics. For teachers who want to use the game in their classroom but aren't familiar with Minecraft, there's a "Minecraft Mentors" program that teaches them all of the basic principles of the game, along with how it can be adapted to education programs.

Like the consumer versions of Minecraft, Education Edition will receive version updates over time to ensure that the software stays up to date, as well as introduce new game features. The first version of the learning-focused edition will include all of the previous updates introduced to Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition beta, according to Microsoft. Educators interested can begin the sign up process on the game's website.

During last week's Mac event, Apple announced that Minecraft will be coming to the fourth-generation Apple TV by the end of 2016.

Article Link: Classroom-Focused 'Minecraft: Education Edition' Launches on macOS and Windows

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
So...what kind message is Apple sending to these kids? Start building a new desktop?

EDIT: I never understood the game, "Minecraft." Is this something you build?

Last edited:
Reactions: mkeeley

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Um. Wat?

Really pushing all markets now that they've sold it to all 7 billion people already...
Remember, these are the acts of Microsoft. They have no idea what they're doing when it comes to things like this.

Reactions: Borin

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
What about legos will tech kids about history? I have no idea how this translates to learning anything beyond creativity.
It could be effective but it simply won't be used. Maybe the odd lesson or two, but its not going to have an impact other than engaging students that may play it at home. Although that could be disruptive as well.

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
(Anyone remember Second Life?)
I member.

---

Second Life was kind of fun. The press oversold its impact but it was fun to hop in and play. Those that spent serious cash on SL were dumb unless they got an equal amount of fun for how much they spent. People dropping 10 grand and buying property and slaves and stuff...I hope it was worth it.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
The full game now runs at a rate of $5 per user, with volume pricing available for larger schools. Those eligible to download Minecraft: Education Edition extend beyond normal public schools, and include libraries, museums, and individuals who are part of "nationally recognized home-school organizations."
That's $5 per user per year. It's too bad this pricing isn't available for regular version of Minecraft, which costs $26.95 one time fee.

Techalope

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
As an educator this new edition is a step in the wrong direction. What used to be a flat fee is now pay per user. What would cost me 300 dollars is now over 3 thousand.

All of my students are upset that we can no longer use Minecraft in the classroom.

It is a shame Microsoft is destroying something that was amazing.

Borin

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2016
Britannia
Second Life was kind of fun. The press oversold its impact but it was fun to hop in and play. Those that spent serious cash on SL were dumb unless they got an equal amount of fun for how much they spent. People dropping 10 grand and buying property and slaves and stuff...I hope it was worth it.
It's used as a demonstration of sorts for virtualisation of reality, abstraction modelling, the widespread societal effects of internet access and a whole host of other things in some CS courses. It's had a bigger impact than people think it has.

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
What about legos will tech kids about history? I have no idea how this translates to learning anything beyond creativity.
Have you seen Gallipoli in Minecraft? Created in NZ to teach kids about a famous battle in WW1 by allowing them to walk around the landscape. It's very impressive, and shows what can be done if you put the work in. Kids love it because they're mucking about with Minecraft, but accidentally learning an enormous amount.

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/education/activities-and-resources/gallipoli-in-minecraft-learning-kit

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
So...what kind message is Apple sending to these kids? Start building a new desktop?

EDIT: I never understood the game, "Minecraft." Is this something you build?
Minecraft fits the exploration / build personality type. Pretty much virtual legos, but with the 'sandbox' the size of Saturn. You could literally walk/run for years.

The potential for learning is limited ( as all things ) by your imagination. But a quick example: current testing includes inferring answers from an example. Something like this extremely simple example:
http://www.mathsisfun.com/games/3d-blocks-count.html

Minecraft players can 'see' the answer, rotating the object in their mind. Minecraft also teaches conservation ( eat all of your chicken and you may go hungry, cut all of your trees without replanting and you will have to travel for more ).

There's much more... but hopefully that gives you a sampling.
[doublepost=1478026954][/doublepost]
Very simple answer here:
Create a server... grab a map of anything, for example Imperial Palace, Tokyo ( two second search, poor example, but demonstrates my meaning ).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Imperial_Palace#/media/File:Imperial_Palace_Tokyo_Map.png

Have the students build it, while you teach about the structures, classes, society, environment and it's impact and anything else. The students have 'buy in' and will pay attention as they build. Get several teachers to join in for a surprise attempt at stealing the gold from the throne room.

Limitless.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
All of my students are upset that we can no longer use Minecraft in the classroom.
This seems overly dramatic. Nothing has changed from last year, your students can continue to use Minecraft, exactly as they have in the past.

Only now, there is another option.

It may be easier / cheaper ( time=money ) to purchase the Education License option instead of creating / building your own Minecraft server, but that will not be the case for everyone. Continue using Minecraft Education mods publicly available, or better yet, have your Middle / High School students build new mods specifically for your needs.
http://www.youthdigital.com/mod-design-1.html

Reactions: 69Mustang

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
Education edition? Cool, can't wait for the Mortal Kombat Education Edition too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.