Clean install of iOS 8 much better.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by nikhsub1, Jun 4, 2014.

1. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

This is something that most of you know but, I restored after my iOS 8 install and it ran like poop... really bad, bugs that no one had, I had. I decided to reinstall and setup as a new phone and voila, it runs infinitely better. Sure there are some things, but before it was literally unusable. Anyway, maybe this can help someone...

2. iConnor macrumors member

Yhup thats what I did. No backup for me. Runs great

3. flatfoot99 Guest

thanks, mines really bad (just did an update, and knew better). Can I restore from a back up after? Or do I need to download each app individually etc???

4. nikhsub1 thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

No that's the thing, if you restore from the clean install, it isn't really a clean install anymore... I did the restore first, then it ran like rhino dung - I then redid it and set it up as a new phone, had to redownload all apps - not so hard when you can go to the 'purchased' section in the store. It's more work but the phone runs like butter (with some exceptions) as compared to restoring settings.

5. michaelra macrumors newbie

I did a restore from backup (not a clean install) but I find it very snappy. No problems so far, except for Whatsapp crashes on some threads (did an app reinstall and that cured it) and Tweetbot. But those are apps, not the iOS itself

I must be one of the lucky ones

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I am doing a clean install now but I do plan on restoring a backup. I have texts from 2009 on my phone haha. I like to keep it running dont want to start new. i did delete all the apps i dont use before creating the backup file tho. Apple needs to let you choose what to backup. like all I would really want is text messages, contacts, emails, music. i don't care much about app data.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

A lot of time it's the text messages (in particular with attachments) that end up in that "other" space eating away the free space.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

my "other" is only like 2gb. I have 23gb of photos. and like 15gb of apps.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

In your case it sounds like you were spared by that (and/or perhaps don't have a lot of media attachment in the messages).

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

like I said 2009 haha. and I do send a lot of pictures. not many videos tho.

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

guess I am lucky.

Attached Files:

12. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I agree. I did an "update" install of ios 8 on my i5s and it ran ok at first then it started to glitch a lot, AppStore wasn't working among other things.., yeah so I ended up doing a fresh from itunes install of ios 8, reinstalling my apps and it's working a lot better...well as good as it can be considering it's beta 1.

13. outlawarth macrumors regular

I will also second this. Clean install of iOS 8 working very well. I don't have any of the problems others are reporting.

14. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

I agree. We should suggest that to them. Sometimes they listen. :) I would just backup the essentials too.

15. wolsoncpa macrumors member

wolsoncpa

People that don't do a clean install (restore/setup as new) should not post any bugs and/or not working apps on this forum. Who knows what baggage is left over from their previous version of iOS.

16. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

I still say that a "reset all settings" does wonders and is a lot easier than start from scratch. I only have the beta on my iPad mini retina and a reset cleared up random flakey stuff. Still get the beta bugs but couldn't be happier with that reset switch.

17. wrightchad1 macrumors member

I can personally attest that doing a "reset all settings" makes things worlds better

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

19. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

I had it on my 4S for about 2 hours but my music would play one song and then stop so I downgraded back to 7.1.1

20. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

People that do a clean install shouldn't post which apps are working for them on this forum. That's not the way iOS is used by the vast majority of people.

I don't agree with that statement or yours, but I'm just pointing out that it goes both ways.

21. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

22. nikhsub1 thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Anytime there is an issue with the phone that is software related, Apple will ALWAYS suggest to restore the phone and set it up as a new phone without restoring from a backup. I realize that most people DO restore from backups, including me. However, if you are beta testing this OS it is for sure better to leave the clean install without doing the backup restore.

When iOS 8 goes to GM, the backup restore may work just fine but at this point it does not.

23. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I see what you're saying, and I too have recommended that people restore as new when they are experiencing seemingly unsolvable issues. And yes, you're assured of getting the best results from beta versions if you restore as new. But I did an update and my devices aren't experiencing any strange issues that I already haven't read about from those who restored as new. In the majority of cases, people aren't going to have dramatically different experiences between the updating and restoring options.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Again, based on a previously linked thread it seems there are those that have more issues with clean installs and almost none with an update install.

25. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

I did an option+update install and just now had to go back to 7.1.1 AGAIN because it told me activate my phone again and while trying to do so froze and wouldn't let me turn it off when I finally reset the phone by holding down the home and sleep/wake button it was still freezing on the same screen. I'm hoping when the final release comes out it the fall that it will actually somewhat work on the 4S.