Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonswizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
London, UK
Hi there, apologies if this has been answered before.

I'm looking forward to SL as much as everyone else, but was wondering what the advantages of doing what I've seen on here as a "clean install" versus just putting in the disk with Leopard installed and letting it upgrade?

How would I go about doing a clean install anyway, would I have to make a copy of my HD or something?

Any clarification would be great. Thanks.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
there are a few advantages to a clean install... for example, I currently have issues connecting with my home network when I'm in my room. it is the furthest room from the modem/router. my sister with the exact same MBP can connect in here, and I can connect just fine in Windows XP. I've tried many, many times to fix the issues, but there is something funky going on.

so I will be doing a clean install to hopefully solve this problem once and for all:eek:

clean installs are good for a "fresh start"

EDIT: to do a clean install, you want a backup somewhere. I have a time machine backup, but I will be doing it the major-hassle way, dragging things over from another partition of my TM drive. oh well, such is the price for a fix...

sputacus

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2009
Duncanville TX
there are a few advantages to a clean install... for example, I currently have issues connecting with my home network when I'm in my room. it is the furthest room from the modem/router. my sister with the exact same MBP can connect in here, and I can connect just fine in Windows XP. I've tried many, many times to fix the issues, but there is something funky going on.

so I will be doing a clean install to hopefully solve this problem once and for all:eek:

Just curious...did you try a clean reinstall of your current OSX in an attempt to fix your connecting issues?

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Just curious...did you try a clean reinstall of your current OSX in an attempt to fix your connecting issues?

a very good point, but no, I haven't. I figured if I'm going to do a clean install I might as well wait for Snow Leopard...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.