Clean Install or Upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bonswizzle, Aug 16, 2009.

1. bonswizzle macrumors member

bonswizzle

Hi there, apologies if this has been answered before.

I'm looking forward to SL as much as everyone else, but was wondering what the advantages of doing what I've seen on here as a "clean install" versus just putting in the disk with Leopard installed and letting it upgrade?

How would I go about doing a clean install anyway, would I have to make a copy of my HD or something?

Any clarification would be great. Thanks.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Clean install means wiping everything off of your HD and starting fresh.

3. bonswizzle thread starter macrumors member

bonswizzle

Wouldn't that be a lot of hassle, moving it over to an external, moving it back, reinstalling apps etc? There must some advantages...

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If you're doing all that just upgrade. There's no advantage with a clean install.

5. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

there are a few advantages to a clean install... for example, I currently have issues connecting with my home network when I'm in my room. it is the furthest room from the modem/router. my sister with the exact same MBP can connect in here, and I can connect just fine in Windows XP. I've tried many, many times to fix the issues, but there is something funky going on.

so I will be doing a clean install to hopefully solve this problem once and for all:eek:

clean installs are good for a "fresh start"

EDIT: to do a clean install, you want a backup somewhere. I have a time machine backup, but I will be doing it the major-hassle way, dragging things over from another partition of my TM drive. oh well, such is the price for a fix...

6. sputacus macrumors regular

Just curious...did you try a clean reinstall of your current OSX in an attempt to fix your connecting issues?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Agreed.

8. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

a very good point, but no, I haven't. I figured if I'm going to do a clean install I might as well wait for Snow Leopard...

9. LoganT macrumors 68020