Clean install: regular vs DFU

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jakimo, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Jakimo macrumors 6502

Would someone explain the difference between a normal option-click Restore and a DFU restore?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

DFU is for when something is really broke and a regular Restore fails. Also, DFU is much more likely used in the jailbreak scene.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

DFU is if you don't want to take chances of something that might be still lingering...

I always do DFU restore as NEW no backups no matter what, it's simple to do and makes me feel better even though I might not need to it. In all my years of owning iPhones I have never had any battery issues nor other similar problems, especially important if you like to jailbreak and play with tweaks.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

From iClarified: DFU means Device Firmware Update. If a restore using Recovery Mode doesn't work you will want to use DFU Mode as a last resort. When placing your iPhone into DFU Mode it does not load the OS before attempting the restore

5. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

If DFU is low level and cleaner, why would anyone NOT chose to do so?

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Because it's not as easy to do and most times is not needed. The same reason why people don't secure trash whatever they want to erase from their computer.

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

And why people forget to make backups before upgrading to a new unreleased firmware and run into trouble.

8. ajiuo macrumors 65816

If you are moving from beta to GM/final back up to icloud, do a DFU restore to GM, set up as new phone, and then back up from icloud.. Itunes backups also tend to backup bugs.. Icloud just backs up what you need and reinstalls all apps.. Much cleaner.. Still not 100%

9. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm curious now, is there a DFU mode for iPads as well?

10. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Of course.

Same process for every device pretty much. I'd recommend just Googling how to do it, or watch a video - very easy.

----------

I suppose it's not "Apple certified" because IIRC, but I might be wrong, it's actually a little more trouble booting it back out of DFU - jailbreakers of course have programs like TinyUmbrella to do it.

As far as Apple are concerned once it's in DFU, you gotta restore it!

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I put my iPad into dfu mode before I downgraded back to ios6. Then sold it.

12. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Will DFU's get rid of the lag in transitions? Yes Im obsessed with this now LOL Wanna see if there is a way to make it a little faster!

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It's not more trouble booting it back out, you are mixing causes of jb procedures that people do while in DFU mode, with the actual DFU mode.