Clean the screen - with what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skybar, May 14, 2011.

1. Skybar macrumors member

As many of you know, the screen gets dirty. Especially on a laptop where the fat from your fingers gets on the keyboard, and when you close the lid.. yeah, that fat gets on the screen.

A buddy of mine recommended the cleaning solution "iKlear", which he bought on Applestore. But they don't sell that anymore, and I have no idea where to buy it in Europe. Sure I could order it from their site, but it takes time to ship from the US and the shipping cost is higher as you can imagine.

So, question 1: Does anyone know where you can buy this in Europe or Sweden?
    or, question 2: Does anyone know of a different solution that works just as well? (and ships within Euro/Swe)

2. Crwoo macrumors newbie

3. aicul macrumors 6502a

Most computer stores will have a kit on sale. Often very over-priced (at least in Swityzerland).

But DO NOT use sand :eek:

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I just dampen a microfiber cloth and wipe the screen then use the cloth that came with the MacBook to dry it.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Most people just over complicate screen cleaning.
    Really all you need is a wet cloth. kitchen paper works too. You only need to be smart enough to only get it a little wet or squize it enough so no water might run down the screen and damage something.
    If it is so greasy that a wet cloth doesn't help all you need is to mix in a little random dish-washing detergent, or some lemon juice.
    It is no different than cleaning a window just more delicate with the matte screen.

I cleaned my displays without some special iKlear like nonsense for years and never had a problem.

6. KwanMan macrumors regular

i use the microfiber cloth from my glasses, works perfectly

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Water with any towel that is soft...no cleaner is required. I don't see the point of those cleaners when water does works fine.

8. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

A microfiber cloth is an easy solution for a dirty screen .

9. Internal Fury macrumors 6502

10. Skybar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I just figured it'd be a lot easier to spray something on and then wipe it off, but yeah a moist cloth might work just as well.

What is this microfiber cloth you are talking about? Is there something special to it than a normal towel?

11. Crwoo macrumors newbie

microfiber is a very soft towel that will not scratch, also they are generally lint free

12. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

Like others, I use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe, and buff dry with another. I buy mine in packs from Target. They come in blue, orange, and white.

13. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Micro fiber cloth is a plus, don't use your shirt. As far as paper towels, most of them wont scratch the screen, but some will.

14. vnle macrumors 6502

15. smcbaird macrumors newbie

Spray windex on paper towel and voila.
    Note, if you ever use windex, don't spray it directly on the screen.

16. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

NOOOOOO!!! the alcohol in windex will remove the glossy coating on the screen. Either use a dry cloth (microfiber is nice) or use a non-alcoholic glass cleaner.

That being said OP windex is fine for yours because it is a glass overlay.

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you can find Klear Screen, it's the same product as iKlear, just not marketed targeting Macs.

Do not use Windex. Do not use paper towels - paper can scratch.

Use what Apple recommends, which is a dampened lint-free cloth (micro-fiber or soft cotton, the former being preferred) or iKlear/Klearscreen. You should be able to order directly from the Klear products site: http://www.klearscreen.com/

18. mac00l macrumors 6502

Alternatively for those of you with a new machine, wondering what to get, dont get anything.

Just clean your screen at least once a week with the fiber that comes with the mbp, and that should be enough to keep away the mess that needs to get clean with special liquids.

Cheers

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

So true. People with OCD issues might not like this answer, but if you refrain from sneezing on your screen and if you put some kind of thin cloth over the keyboard every time you close it (I use the piece of foam that came with my MBP) then you can get away with wiping the screen once a week using the microfiber cloth that came with the MBP. Dampen it with water in extreme cases. That's all.

In other words, Apple gave you all you need. Don't complicate your life so much :)

20. smcbaird macrumors newbie

Yes this is true, but i forget to mention that you use the non-metho based windex cleaner. Sorry! Forgot to mention that!

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm not sure how heavy you are, maybe your fat leaks out, but finger oil/sweat/grease isn't exactly fat.

I used to use iKlear until my bottle ran out. The stuff was great. Now I just wipe down my laptop every couple of months with a moist towelette.

22. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Don't spray anything onto the screen! Doing that will be a recipe for disaster as you get fluid inside of the computer

23. Skybar thread starter macrumors member

I'm not a native english speaker, so I just chose the word closest to what we use in sweden. You understood what I meant though, mission accomplished.

So many great tips in this thread, I am really grateful! I will get my hands on a microfiber cloth and see how that works out. Just a question though: When you say it should only be dampened, how exactly do you do that? Whenever I have to wet a cloth or paper it always get superwet, and if I try to only put a little bit of water on it its like spots of water here and there, no continuity really :eek:

Sorry if I seem totally behind on this, its my first laptop so I've never really had to clean my screens before.

24. gfx.KDay macrumors newbie

Use a barely damp papertowel, but do not drench the thing. Squeeze as much water off of it as you can before wiping anything with it.

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Fair enough. I just thought it was a funny statement, I meant no harm.