Cleaning a Mac Pro Case

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GlynJones, Sep 4, 2010.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hi,
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a used 1,1 Mac Pro and on the whole I'm very happy with it. The only problem is that it's a bit grubby. The aluminium is a bit tarnished and marked with spots. I've tried cleaning as best I can but the marks still remain.

As anyone got any tips for making it sparkle again? I've noticed aluminium cleaner and saw a YouTube video of someone using stainless steel cleaner but I'd rather ask the pro's as I don't want to damage it.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Glyn Jones.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would only use iKlear on my MacPro and whatever didn't come off I'd live with.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

But iKlear is only meant for screens... so you wouldn't get as good enough of a clean as you would with something more.... appropriate.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Wrong.

For your reading pleasure:

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

For the outside of the case you could use a kitchen cleaner designed for grease if it really won't budge, that would do the same job, don't use it on the inside though :p Also, it might leave white streaks where you wipe it off, but that can be removed using some dry kitchen roll.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1 for iKlear but I'm sure some normal mild detergent will work too and costs a lot less than iKlear.

For getting rid of dust in the innards, I would use can of air

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

But Mac Pro isn't listed! :eek: :p

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Smartass. I've used it before and it was great. I would not use something harsh because I'd fear it damaging the metal.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I use regular kitchen cleaner (Fantastik, Glass Plus, 408) for exterior. Compressed air for interior. My 2006 MP looked like it was brand new when I sold it. No reason to use rip-off cleaners "especially for" computers. The MP case is no more fragile than a Viking cooktop.

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

+1!

There is absolutely NO reason for buying completely overpriced computer cleaning products.
    Normal dish detergent, a little bit of water and kitchen paper are totally capable of cleaning EVERY computer part, case exteriors, screens, keyboards, you name it. And no, they won't affect the aluminium at all.

For cleaning the inside I recommend using compressed air and a small brush.

11. Zak.V macrumors member

I would not use mothers on the Anodized cases. For raw aluminum its is a good product to remove oxidation but while being worked in it turns to a black paste which might get left behind in small amounts. The surface is not smooth like that of a car. Polishing scratched aluminum with mothers does the same thing.. Fine scratches are filled with black and are more noticeable instead of appearing as dull aluminum.

Anodize is a resilient finish. Do not be shy to use products like Spray Nine, Fantastic, Simple Green, Mean Green.

If you are truly worried test the cleaner on the bottom of the case in a small area.

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Don't use compressed air cans because they are essentially compressed liquid that turns into air when used. This can easily lead to some of the liquid to spray out of the can at times rather than air, and the liquid can damage your electronic components.

The best thing to use is an oilless air compressor. They aren't too expensive and the only downside is you have to wait for them to fill up, which is extremely noisy. They do a way better job than air cans and they also work for filling up car tires, so you get plenty of use out of them. Plus you don't have to keep buying air cans so you end up saving money over time!

As for cleaning the case, not sure what the best way to go about that is, but I do know that people should always take proactive care with the case and clean it every so often (same with clearing out the dust inside).

13. Zak.V macrumors member

An air compressor takes in the air around it which has water vapour floating around. A compressor can/will shoot just as much liquid as a can.

A can or compressor will easily blow the tiny amount of liquid dry.

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

As long as you hold the can upright. If you tilt it too much (or hold it upside down) it will spray liquid onto the surface.

15. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Exactly, and meanwhile an oilless air compressor will never do that. I will agree that there *might* be an extremely tiny amount of water vapor that comes through, but that is not what I am talking about, I am referring to the fact that air cans are far too easy to spray liquid on accident.

16. freedom42 macrumors newbie

Household vinegar (full strength) takes the tarnish off and leaves the finish intact. Wash with clean water and dry.

I don't remember where I found this on the web, but I have a few years experience with this method. Works great.

17. MCHR macrumors regular

Windex works great. Ammonia based, dries clean & clear. Squirt on, rub lightly with a soft cloth and you're good. You can also use isopropyl alcohol if there are grease or handprint marks.

18. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Am I the only one that uses a Magic Eraser on my Apple aluminum products, a MacBook Pro and an older Mac Pro? I have not seen any detrimental effects, and the surface is absolutely just like new.

19. MCHR macrumors regular

What's in it? Does it smell like anything? I hope it's not re-labeled window cleaner (I'm sure it's not).

20. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

21. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Magic Eraser is awesome on MacBooks (as well as just about anything else)

22. filmweaver macrumors regular

Plain ole Windex on mine and it sparkles.
    The best cleaner polish for Bare aluminum is SemiChrome. However I believe the exterior of the MP case is clear coated aluminum to keep it from oxidizing.