Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

just1ed

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
Sorry for reviving a 6 year old post, but I would really want to debunk all the myths once and for all in case anyone else reads these posts. Whether you spill water or coke, when the Mac is powered on or turned off, ultrasonic cleaning, when done properly, has a VERY high success rate. Just youtube for instructions.

The reason why one of the poster mentioned that he has 30% sucess is because he is doing manual cleaning with a brush. The only issue is that a proper one, even those from China, costs around $200 at the minimum.

I work as a Mac repair technician, and I only have encountered 2 boards where cleaning didn't work after liquid spill. One was because the customer used hair dryer on her Macbook Air, and the other was because she left it in a cupboard for one month, and her logicboard had a lot of corrosion.

Most of the time, the logicboard will be revived, but you might need to little parts like cables or I/O boards, which are inexpensive anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.