Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i just found a blemish or a smudge on the case of my 17 inch unibody .. i tried google searching about cleaning the case and only found stuff about cleaning the screen ... has anyone cleaned the aluminum casing ? if so what did you use ?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I use a little bit of iKlear. Usually, I clean the screen with one of the disposables, then use the left over to clean up the case, keys and trackpad.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
what about aluminum cleaner ?

Apple states to not use solvents on the case. Just use water. I believe the aluminum is coated and not bare.

I would just use a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and distilled water. Spray it onto a microfiber and then wipe the case down. That is all you should really do.

CoffeeWarrior

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Apple states to not use solvents on the case. Just use water. I believe the aluminum is coated and not bare.

I would just use a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and distilled water. Spray it onto a microfiber and then wipe the case down. That is all you should really do.

Well, most glass lens cleaners are designed not to strip away coatings, like Lens anti glare, UV, anti scratch etc...

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I use a 55M solution of dihydrogen monoxide to clean mine. It's this great chemical that cleans excellently. I use it often to clean my aluminum Powerbook (now MBP) and have never had problems.

Ruahrc

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Not only that, significant levels of dihydrogen monoxide have been measured in every lake, stream, and river in the world! It truly is an environmental issue of massive proportions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.