Cleaning the Apple case?

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Am I the only person who can't keep this thing clean? It picks up dust and dirt from everything, and it doesn't wipe off easily with water. Does anyone have some tips that I'm missing?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Ive used a cheap LCD cleaning spray with a microfiber cloth and it worked fine. I'm pretty sure most cleaning solutions (non heavy duty) should be ok.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I've been using Turtle Wax Upholstery Cleaner. The same one you would use to clean car seats or whatever.

Same type of bottle as the one in that link, but the one I got is for auto. Actually purchased it for my car but gave it a try and it worked out good. Been using it for over a week as needed. Actually just used a few minutes ago.

Gets it back to looking new and as it's foam doesn't really get it wet.

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
This is why I have been hesitant to spend $40 on it. Been going "naked" for two weeks, makes me nervous, but like how it works outside of a case. What to do, what to do? :confused:

lilboarder32

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
This is why I have been hesitant to spend $40 on it. Been going "naked" for two weeks, makes me nervous, but like how it works outside of a case. What to do, what to do? :confused:
I don't have my iPad yet, but I feel close to the same way. I have read a lot of mixed reviews about the apple case, and the two things that stick out to me are the price, and the fact it gets dirty. I don't really want to have a regular cleaning session of the case, so I don't think I will end up getting the official case, although I really want to.

andrewb21

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Los Angeles
I have been using the iPad case as well and it does get dirty really easily. The way I've been cleaning it is by rubbing the spots with my finger, with enough friction it rubs off pretty easily. Not incredibly efficient though...

Not a huge fan of the case overall, and if I didn't need it to prop up iPad for typing, i'd just return it and get a sleeve. Bah! Hate feeling restricted to an accessory.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Prior to putting the iPad in the case I sprayed it with sneaker repellent. This keeps the dust and water off of it. It's a lot easier to clean now.

malanius

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
I wear glasses and have found that my glasses cleaning cloth works just fine to clean it up. and since I've always got that on me for my glasses it's a win.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Best thing you can do is buy a case for the Apple case. That way it doesn't get scratched.

They also sell Invisible Shields for the Apple Case so it doesn't get messed up. But I would get a Shield for the case that way you can put it in a case so it doesn't mess up the look of the naked case.

jeff323

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Best thing you can do is buy a case for the Apple case. That way it doesn't get scratched.

They also sell Invisible Shields for the Apple Case so it doesn't get messed up. But I would get a Shield for the case that way you can put it in a case so it doesn't mess up the look of the naked case.
I've tried 3 or so different cases for my Apple Case but they seem to pick up dirt easily. What is the best way to clean them?

epoche

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
Oh I have had jam on back of Apple case from eating bread and jam-and handling case with sticky fingers. Damp wash cloth and dry towel works fine.

Westin

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I stick mine under a sink and run it with a wash cloth. Then let it dry. Works well

h3nG

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Lol...WTF? A case for your case?

I wished they had used leather instead of the microsuede material.

Dapper

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Any mild diluted detergent "Dawn" should be fine. Surprised that you are unable to clean with MF alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.