Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JefferyShin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Well since most of y'all have ipads, im sure you have this problem.

People want to see, and touch your iPad. Everyone comes up to you and asks if they can touch it. And some of them have greasy fingers.

After like five minutes, i look at my ipad and it looks like someone rubbed a big mac all over it.

How do you guys clean it?

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Don't let people touch it. Just don't.

If they are really curious they can visit an Apple store and take all the time they want.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Spray Windex on a tissue and wipe it down. I'm sure people will gasp when they read my reply but I've been doing this to my iPhones for years with no problems and I have been doing this to my iPad with no problems.

Cheers.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Spray Windex on a tissue and wipe it down. I'm sure people will gasp when they read my reply but I've been doing this to my iPhones for years with no problems and I have been doing this to my iPad with no problems.

Cheers.

I'm not gasping but i find wiping it down with windex unnecessary, like the other reply i use the imac screen cloth and it comes off very easily... Of course using just about any other soft clean cloth will work.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Spray Windex on a tissue and wipe it down.

Ugh! Anything but Windex!

Novus #1 and an iClear chamois if it's really yucky. Otherwise, just the iClear.

I'm putting a screen protector on it anyway. (It's on the way.) It only takes 5-minutes for the "miracle", "oleophobic" surface to get really annoying, especially when reading in iBooks.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I use sand and grind it into the screen. Makes a nice anti glare and anti finger print surface

mrcc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009

Cheers.

Windexi
Is the worst thing u can use

JefferyShin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009

If they are really curious they can visit an Apple store and take all the time they want.

Ah, but I live in Canada, so pretty much NO ONE has played with an iPad.

And would windex work? I've only used windex for cleaning my Mac, never my iPhone or iPad.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Ah, but I live in Canada, so pretty much NO ONE has played with an iPad.

And would windex work? I've only used windex for cleaning my Mac, never my iPhone or iPad.

Ah, but it doesn't mean that your iPad should be made into a demo for strangers until local stores start carrying them. Learn to say no, it's your property. :). I wouldn't try Windex. Just use a recommended screen cleaner such as iClear and a microfiber cloth. Remember, just because some here might say they are using Windex, doesn't mean they really are. There's no way to validate that so just beware of such solvents and use only what's recommended from Apple or use bonafide screen cleaners for the iPhone or iPad.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Gasp!!!

Seriously, though, Windex is about the worst thing you could use on your iPad screen, or 3GS for that matter. Why?

It's the "oleophobic coating" on the glass that will sooner than later be completely destroyed, and if you thought it was some sort of nightmare cleaning your iPad screen now, just wait until it's plain old glass and not the easy to clean factory coated stuff.

Sure, Windex seems like a great solution (pun intended) at first, but believe me, I ruined my 3GS screen this way, and now I want to blow my brains out every time i make a call on this thing! It's now just about impossible to keep clean, and it seems that if I bring it anywhere near my skin it's a smudged up mess. Even Apple warns us to not use "glass cleaner" on these screens, i.e. Windex!!!

The 3G doesn't have this coating, so maybe Hawkeye411 had nothing to lose, literally, but the iPad certainly does, and so for the love of God listen to the other posters and use a dry cloth, a slightly dampened one, the side of your hand, or even the cat if you must.

Believe me, my iPhone 3GS glass seriously doesn't have a scratch on it, and I'm going to be replacing it just as soon as I can because I can't take it anymore, it's just soooooo unpleasant to use without that coating.

Come back, olephobic coating, come back!!!

:)

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
BTW, Windex will cloud window tint film (like on your car or home windows). So, I assume it wouldn't be good for anything but pure glass. And, even then...

I use the Martha Stewart window cleaner on actual glass and tint films (hey, they have blowout prices at Home Depot...), along with No Streek Glass and Silver Polish (on glass only). But I wouldn't recommend the latter on anything with a film or coating. Would be good on an iPhone 2G/3G with no screen protector, but not a 3GS or iPad. In fact, I rather suspect the No Streek would work better than the Apple coating if you've got a 2/3G. Not at ALL impressed with the coating - I hate it.

There are so many more effective and more environmentally-friendly products out there than Windex. I wouldn't recommend it for anything, really.

bluefox9er

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010

nenene i got an ipad and you havn't nenenene

how utterly childish and selfish of you....little secret..the damn thing is MEANT to be touched!!!

Koalaboy

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Whilst I don't have mine yet, if the screen is like the iPhone, it will be a bit of heavy breath (huff huff) and a rub with my jumper. Works fine.

Otherwise, a microfibre cloth as has been mentioned.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I use a power support crystal shield and put Rain-X on it. It makes it more slippery like the iPad glass and makes it much more fingerprint resistant and it wipes off super easy. I'm not sure what chemicals will impact the oleophobic coating so I don't recommend putting cleaners directly on the screen.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Gasp!!!

Seriously, though, Windex is about the worst thing you could use on your iPad screen, or 3GS for that matter. Why?

It's the "oleophobic coating" on the glass that will sooner than later be completely destroyed, and if you thought it was some sort of nightmare cleaning your iPad screen now,
:)

Does the iPad really have this coating? If so it sure does not work because it smears like hell without using some sort of solution along with a microfiber cloth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.