Cleaning the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warburg, Sep 6, 2008.

1. warburg macrumors 6502

The on-screen touch aspect of the iphone very quickly creates a messy interface. What is the most effective way to clean the iphone? Is it OK to use a few drops of water on the screen? Can anyone recommend a convenient and safe cleaning solution?:confused:

2. MST macrumors 6502

MST

IMHO you can't beat iKlear, I use it on all of my Apple products and it does a great job on my iPhone, just be sure to follow the usage instructions ;) I certainly wouldn't put water anywhere near your iPhone, even when using iKlear; or any other cleaning solution for that matter, you should apply it to a suitable cleaning cloth [such as those supplied] rather than to the screen directly.

3. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Where do you buy iKlear?

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Water will work just fine, but as the above poster said do not put the water directly onto your iPhone. Few drops of water on a lint free cloth and wipe away.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

How to clean the screen? Few swipes up and down my pants leg has always done the trick :)

6. voxnj macrumors regular

I use disposable eyeglass cleaning tissues (come individually wrapped in a packet.) Costco sells them in a jumbo box. They're handy for my glasses, the computer screens and the Iphone.

7. voxnj macrumors regular

I use disposable eyeglass cleaning tissues (come individually wrapped in a packet.) Costco sells them in a jumbo box. They're handy for my glasses, the computer screens and the Iphone.

8. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I use my sausage dog. Put some peanut butter on the screen -- and call him.

9. goobimama macrumors regular

I just use plain water on some tissue paper. And then swipe it with some dry paper. Works wonderfully.

10. MST macrumors 6502

MST

http://www.klearscreen.com/

You can pick iKlear up from Apple both online and in-store, yes it's a lot more expensive than water [which as a natural resource is absolutely free...technically], but I don't believe that water and a paper towel give you anywhere near as gooder finish as this stuff, each to their own.

Had I not already used iKlear on my other Mac screens would I have gone out and bought it specifically for my iPhone?...Probably not, Now that I've used iKlear on my iPhone would I revert to using any other cleaning solution on it?...No chance!

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I would not pay for the iKLear products they are just overpriced, the better recommendation would be to purchase the Kleer Screen product though ( from what ive seen they sell for less than similar iKlear products)

for day to day usage though, its a bit excessive

I carry a small microfiber with me if I want to keep the screen clean

the other reccommendation ( which i have had for about a week) is to have an anti glare screen protector, ive yet to have to "wipe my phone"

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

13. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the good advice. Since my wife and I both have iphones, I bought the iKlear cleaning kit.:)

14. trixnrice macrumors member

lol. this thread. iklear is like any other screen cleaning solution. any brand/generic solution of this type will work. And spraying mist like solution/water on the iphone is fine. To put my invisible shield on. i put heavy amounts of the given solution all over my iphone. no damage. ppl who say otherwise are either misinformed or do not have common sense. Mist amounts of water will not make it into the internals of your iphone (no matter how bad your light leak gaps are etc.). Just make sure you dont over spray INTO any ported areas. gl. oh yea. using a good quality microfiber cloth is good enough w/o solution or water imo.

15. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

+1

Just buy a microfiber cloth. They are handy to have anyway, for all kinds of tasks. And, they don't run out of solution.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I usually use my iShirt, iShorts, or iFacialTissue.

17. rxmxsh macrumors member

iKlear comes w/cloths and works really well. Get it at the apple store.

18. passingXstorm macrumors regular

lol ya me too. XD

19. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Actually you are quite wrong on this

The Kleer solution has anti static properties

Usually after waxing my car I spray some of this stuff on my black car ( really helps stop dust from sticking to it... especially with all the static that waxing creates)

works great on lcd's too

but I do agree with you, don't skimp on the microfiber. The cheaper ones actually start leaving fibers after a few weeks of use

20. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I used a clorox cleaning cloth on my 1st Gen iPhone once or twice a month. Didn't harm it at all. I haven't used anything on my 3G but the Apple cleaning cloth, yet.

21. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I use alcohol prep pads. They work great and they disinfect. Look up how many germs are on your face and on your phone. Now my buddy douches his with windex. I couldnt believe it. He sprayed each side with windex twice.

22. randymac88 macrumors regular

iKlear is basically rubbing alcohol, which is what I use. Just put a drop of it on a tissue and wipe off the face and back. Works great, and costs about 2 bucks for a pint of it.

23. Inukami macrumors 6502

i put water on normal paper and after that i just use the cloth.

24. qwanza macrumors member

ME TOO!!!! Although I have to, she's getting to fat..

25. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

The first thing I do is use the vacuum cleaner (on low) to suck debris out of the headphone jack hole, data port, and speakers. After that, I wipe my phone off with the inner side of my t-shirt. Then, only if I want it perfectly clean, do I then use the special cloth that came with the phone, BUT, if you use the Apple cloth, the screen will be so clean that you will find much more friction when sliding your finger across the screen. I purposely, don't clean it with that cloth but only a t-shirt because you need some skin oils on there to reduce the friction for your fingers to slide on the screen. :)

(note: when eating greasy foods, like french fries, as preventative maintenance it would be smart/wise/intelligent to wash your hands before touching your phone)