Clicking Apple Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darshi, Jun 8, 2009.

1. darshi macrumors newbie

I have this old apple monitor, its a see-through CRT screen, not sure what they are called but its very retro. Anyway its had this weird issue where if I unplug the power cord to may mac (and therefore to the monitor also, as it gets its power from the one cable from the video card) I get this rapid clicking sound from the monitor and when I plug it back in. (I read somewhere this is the sound of the monitor relays switching on/off) Then when the computer boots the screen stays blank. I know the monitor has power as I can switch the mac on from the power button on the front of the screen. In the past when this has happened the problem miraculusly goes away when I try to start up again a day or so latter, this time however its not working...:(

Have tried to resit the video card, no change.

Any one have any ideas what the problem is with unplugging the power from these old screens?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think you're talking about an original style iMac, which uses a CRT for its monitor, but it's not an Apple monitor per se.

Anyway - you might be hearing automatic degaussing switching on and off on power up. But, if you don't have any video at all, then I would suspect a high-voltage problem. If there's a lot of dust inside, it could be arcing, but I would think you would see at least some flashes of video on the display.

If you are not experienced working around CRT's and high-voltage, I would strongly suggest not blindly reseating cables/boards. Even after power is removed, there can be lethal voltages inside. Please be careful.

"retro" - hummm - thought that was 80's... Oh well.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds to me like a CRT Apple Studio Display with an ADC connector.

You may just have to retire it. New displays aren't terribly expensive.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

wow. I'm embarrassed. I totally forgot about that one...:eek:

Unfortunately, it doesn't change the "diagnosis".

5. darshi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes thats my monitor (apparently the last CRT apple ever shipped) Shame it was such a good looking bit of gear.

I think that dust may have been an issue, as I can see its dusty in there.