Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
There's been mention here and there about the ticking/clicking sound in video with Wifi turned on with the new 4th gen iPod touch. But often, it comes up as an added post, or is mentioned along with light leaks or other problems.

I'd like to keep this for people who have the problem, and anything they've done to remedy it including exchanging it and what their experience was.

I have two new touches, one 8GB and one 32GB, and they both do it. And it doesn't seem to matter whether it's an unsecured network or a secured one, clicking happens in either case. Wifi turned off, as expected, causes no problems.

I believe DUDEMANGUY5 had trouble with the clicking sound on his 32GB, and after his 6th exchange, he finally got one that was trouble free.

I just called Apple support over the phone about it. And of course they said they'd never heard of it. They suggested the usual, a reset, and a restore, both which I've already done. So they said either send it in for repair/replacement, or take it to my local Apple Store.

So I'm considering taking it to the Genius Bar tomorrow. I just hate the whole defective exchange/return process, but it is what it is.

Anyone else still deciding whether to just deal with it, or try an exchange?

And anyone who does NOT have this problem, please don't post about people complaining, etc. This is a forum for users to help users. And this problem is in fact real, and present on many people's new touches.

We just want a resolution, be it a successful exchange, or a software fix in the near future.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
To me it seems like most people have this issue. iPods w/o clicking seem to be pretty rare. I also think that there are no iPt's completely free of clicking. People who claim to have a clicking-free-iPt just don't perceive it due to the clicking being less marked.

Must be some sort of induction making the microphone vibrate.

Why is it only on encrypted networks? I suppose because of the protocol overhead, encryption data is exchanged continuously. It's only a guess though. You could try to cause clicking on a non encrypted network by receiving data in the background, like playing internet radio.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
To me it seems like most people have this issue. iPods w/o clicking seem to be pretty rare. I also think that there are no iPt's completely free of clicking. People who claim to have a clicking-free-iPt just don't perceive it due to the clicking being less marked.

Must be some sort of induction making the microphone vibrate.

Why is it only on encrypted networks? I suppose because of the protocol overhead, encryption data is exchanged continuously. It's only a guess though. You could try to cause clicking on a non encrypted network by receiving data in the background, like playing internet radio.

Mine is on both encrypted networks, and non-encrypted ones.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Yes, i think it's equivalent.

I always have push mail on, so maybe that's it. Well, I'm definitely not going to turn off push mail when I want to take video. what a hassle that would be. haha.

Either way, I really hope a software fix comes out for it. Apple's not one to admit anything about this kinda stuff. They might just throw the fix in and not say anything. One can only hope.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
My gut also tells me that every new touch has this issue to some extent, but maybe some have a much less pronounced click noise.

I was going to attempt an exchange tomorrow, but I'm going to wait it out to see if they slip a fix into 4.2 for it.

I also noticed the problem doesn't appear to be on FaceTime, nor does it happen caling over Skype that I can tell. So there must be a way to correct this.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
A simple fix would be turning off wifi on startup and turning it on again on quitting the camera-app.

The fact that it doesn't appear while facetiming is weird though. Maybe the compensate it via software? I don't know.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
A simple fix would be turning off wifi on startup and turning it on again on quitting the camera-app.

The fact that it doesn't appear while facetiming is weird though. Maybe the compensate it via software? I don't know.

Not sure. It also doesn't appear to be there during a Skype voip call either. Maybe FaceTime and Skype generate enough background noise that the snapping/clicking can't be heard, but I think it would still be pronounced enough based on my results with video and voice memo recording.

DUDEMANGUY5

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
I believe DUDEMANGUY5 had trouble with the clicking sound on his 32GB, and after his 6th exchange, he finally got one that was trouble free.

I just called Apple support over the phone about it. And of course they said they'd never heard of it. They suggested the usual, a reset, and a restore, both which I've already done. So they said either send it in for repair/replacement, or take it to my local Apple Store.

Anyone else still deciding whether to just deal with it, or try an exchange?

And anyone who does NOT have this problem, please don't post about people complaining, etc. This is a forum for users to help users. And this problem is in fact real, and present on many people's new touches.

We just want a resolution, be it a successful exchange, or a software fix in the near future.

-Yes, It was on my 6th Exchange that was a no clicking and no light leaking one.

-I spoke with apple support about it too before i exchanged my first one, and they said they didnt hear about it either... so they lied to you i guess?

-I really believe this is a manufacturing issue

Best of luck on the exchange!

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
-Yes, It was on my 6th Exchange that was a no clicking and no light leaking one.

-I spoke with apple support about it too before i exchanged my first one, and they said they didnt hear about it either... so they lied to you i guess?

-I really believe this is a manufacturing issue

Best of luck on the exchange!

I've decided for the moment to hold off on the exchange. Honestly, I almost feel like switching to airplane mode to shoot vid is less trouble than running back and forth to the genius bar until I finally get a click free one. And with a 14 month old baby at home, I hardly have the time for that whole song and dance. Glad you had a happy ending though. I'm gonna hang on to my "clicker" for now I guess.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Well, I'm waiting on my first exchange. Apple will send me a new one and pick up the old one so that's nice.

Anyway, if this is a general design flaw I'll just get my money back. It's a cool device but stuff like this is what I'd expect from a cheap knockoff and since I tend to actually use the camera and microphone on occasion, I probably won't always remember to turn the Airplane Mode on.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Well, I'm waiting on my first exchange. Apple will send me a new one and pick up the old one so that's nice.

Anyway, if this is a general design flaw I'll just get my money back. It's a cool device but stuff like this is what I'd expect from a cheap knockoff and since I tend to actually use the camera and microphone on occasion, I probably won't always remember to turn the Airplane Mode on.

Let us know how you make out with the new one.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
I just got my ipod touch today(yay to amazon 2 day shipping:) ). I tried to make some videos but didn't hear any clicking sound. I didn't try to watch the video on the computer so I don't know if its there (if it comes only on watching videos in itunes). Does it come on the ipod too? is it loud? I'll try again at night with no background sounds.

And yes, wifi was on.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I just got my ipod touch today(yay to amazon 2 day shipping:) ). I tried to make some videos but didn't hear any clicking sound. I didn't try to watch the video on the computer so I don't know if its there (if it comes only on watching videos in itunes). Does it come on the ipod too? is it loud? I'll try again at night with no background sounds.

And yes, wifi was on.

Yeah, you should definitely hear it on the iPod playback. I do. Is your Wifi secured (requiring a passcode) or open? Some have said only secured networks cause the noise, but I've had it on both secured and unsecured/open ones.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
Yeah, you should definitely hear it on the iPod playback. I do. Is your Wifi secured (requiring a passcode) or open? Some have said only secured networks cause the noise, but I've had it on both secured and unsecured/open ones.

It is secured. I'll check again when I get home as i am in school right now:D

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Let us know how you make out with the new one.

Well, the new one has the issue as well (both on movies and on memos).

However, sometimes it doesn't manifest. I've tried recording a memo while browsing the web and I couldn't hear any clicks. My original hypothesis was that the clicking was caused by data being sent/recieved on the wifi and my testing this time around doesn't support this. It might be a combination, of course.

This lead me to believe that it might be a software issue.

I'm going to keep it and hope for a patch.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
It can't be a software issue. Software doesn't behave that random (limited number of states). Hardware does, because it's a lot more complex.

Maybe you can fix it by software if you know the origin of the problem. Like if it was Wifi you could turn it off by software during recording and reactivate afterward.

If it was a software issue they would have done it on purpose, which I don't believe.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
It can't be a software issue. Software doesn't behave that random (limited number of states). Hardware does, because it's a lot more complex.

Maybe you can fix it by software if you know the origin of the problem. Like if it was Wifi you could turn it off by software during recording and reactivate afterward.

If it was a software issue they would have done it on purpose, which I don't believe.

I don't think you can definitively say whether it's hardware or software, or a combination, until you have a full and clear knowledge of the units parts and operation, and testing has been done. I'm with you though in thinking that a logical assessment leads you to believe it's a hardware problem, namely the wifi antenna and mic being just too darned close and not isolated enough.

So we'll see. I'm going to keep hanging on to my unit until I hear of more successful exchange experiences, and until iOS 4.2 comes out. The endless exchange process can be way more stress than I have time for right now.

cityathrt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
I was one of the main contributors in the original clicking thread. Quick summary of my experiences here.

Did a restore myself, another after calling Apple support, yet another at the genius bar and a DFU as well. Problem was not present on unencrypted wifi in Apple store, present on encrypted one at home. Not present on FaceTime.

So whoever keeps sprouting that a firmware restore fixes the problem has no idea what he's talking about. At the moment I give up. I can live with it, it seems to be a persistent problem across many units, I don't want to end up with worse problems of light leaks or bad home buttons in an exchange, I don't want to go through the exchange process. Because when it comes down to it, I'm still plenty happy with my iPt4.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
At the moment I give up. I can live with it, it seems to be a persistent problem across many units, I don't want to end up with worse problems of light leaks or bad home buttons in an exchange, I don't want to go through the exchange process. Because when it comes down to it, I'm still plenty happy with my iPt4.

This pretty much sums up my attitude about it at the moment.

Though interestingly enough, I DO have the clicking on the Apple Store's open network. Question: Do you have PUSH mail enabled? I do. I was thinking that maybe having a very busy service like that might add to the noises? Not sure.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007

Try making multithreaded software for a while. Then we'll talk. ;)

If it's a hardware problem, its a weird one.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I think the whole idea of temporarily disabling or at least "freezing" Wifi activity when the camera App is launched is a good idea
(for a future update). The only problem I could see arising from this, is if you go straight into Camera from Mail, where you just sent an email, possibly with an attachment, that didn't complete. But in that case it can always pick up where it left off when you take focus off the Camera app and switch to something else.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
This pretty much sums up my attitude about it at the moment.

Though interestingly enough, I DO have the clicking on the Apple Store's open network. Question: Do you have PUSH mail enabled? I do. I was thinking that maybe having a very busy service like that might add to the noises? Not sure.

I tried to push an email to myself while recording a memo. No clicking. However, sometimes there is clicking. Maybe Apple embedded a tiny cricket in the device. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.