Cloning hard disk problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omarjk, Sep 19, 2009.

1. omarjk macrumors regular

On my new MBP I fired and set-up the system, and SL was already installed.

I followed the procedure of cloning my Leopard HD on to a local back-up drive, using CCC, plugged it in to the MBP and booted from the clone.

It has booted up without any noticeable issues but when I go to open Disk Utility, or any other program on the cloned disk, I get the '...application X quit unexpectedly' dialogue box.

Am I doing something wrong here?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes. I wouldn't try booting a newer machine off an older install of the OS. Typically that doesn't work. But, your error sounds more like a permission issue. Are owners enabled on the cloned drive?

If you're using the cloned drive to migrate to your MBP, boot off the MBP's internal drive (SL), then use the Migration Assistant. You can select your cloned external drive to import settings, applications, users, and data.

3. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

As I understand it the MBP is compatible with Leopard 10.5.8.

I have already used Migration Asst but it did not copy over any of my personal folders eg CVs, movie files, music. It was at that point that I thought to just restore the clone to the MBP's internal disk with Disk Utility, using, for the sake of clarity, the clone as the source and the internal HD as the destination.

How can I overcome this problem? I do not mind uninstalling SL on the internal HD but I need to be able to get that stage in Disk Utility in the first place don't I? Unless I can boot from the install discs - which I'll try now before updating this thread.

EDIT: running an erase and install on the Leopard disc

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

well usually, whatever OS is initially on the machine that is the lowest common denominator.
    so if its 10.6.0 then 10.5.8 usually will not work to boot from.

perhaps you didnt properly select everything when using migration assistant?
    i migrated a 15" umbp with 10.5.8 (on an external clone) to a clean installation of 10.6.0 without issue and all my preferences and files were remained in place.

try to do a remigration or get a secondary drive clone your current external and upgrade the 1st external clone to snow leopard and transfer it to the MacBookPro's drive via clone.

i prefer superduper...though.

5. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for you input. At least the MBP now has a fresh install of Leopard, but I am still getting the same problems with the clone. I believe the clone may be faulty in some way ie the file transfer procedure not the hardware.

Migration Asst (MA) offers me to transfer files and folders, but when I select everything it only comes to 90GB in size, whereas the clone was 110GB exclusive of my Boot Camp partition (how I will migrate that is one for the future).

Would you re-format the external and clone, bearing in mind I don't have a second external to follow your suggestion? Or I could upgrade my MB to Snow Leopard, and install SL on the MBP again, and try my luck that way. Which do you think is better? My money is on no. 1.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The way to migrate the Bootcamp partition is by using WinClone. Use it to create an image file of your old BC partition. Then, on the new drive/machine, use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a new BC partition (don't use Disk Utility). Once that's done, use WinClone to restore your BC partition from the image file.

7. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Nice one gr8tfly, will enjoy being at that stage the way this is currently going.

8. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

I have just performed a clone on a freshly formatted external. The clone is 200 MB leaner than the original. Is there a simple explanation for the difference?

Thanks

9. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Your problem is because your clone's OS did not originate from the grey Install disc that came with your new MBP. Every Mac's install discs are specific to the hardware they came with, so if you boot from a clone of an older MB you will likely have problems. A solution is to update your clone from your new MBP or you can install SL onto your clone (if you need to clone your data back to your new MBP).

10. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Now I am experiencing the same problem. Applications are not opening after I boot from the clone, importantly that includes Disk Utility. Strangely, MS Word was fine and so was iDVD.

Attached is a report of Safari crashing on me.

The issue is either:

- the cloning process; or
    - the hardware.

Does anyone have a good idea of how I should move forward from this point?

I am getting more frustrated!

Attached Files:

11. Z06jerry macrumors regular

see post 9.

12. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Jerry, I think that this isn't all that is going wrong in my case. I booted up my MB from the clone and still have the same problem with opening applications.

So the same hardware and software are in use.

I would try installing SL on my MB and then cloning the HD, but it is not satisfactory to install a new OS on my MB without having a working back-up of it's Leopard install in the first place.

I am at a loss here.

13. Z06jerry macrumors regular

I'm suggesting that you update your clone to SL. Connect your clone to your new MBP, Insert your SL install disc and you should be given the choice of which volume to install SL to , do you not? Choose your clone. Once you have updated your clone to SL you should be able to boot your new MBP from the clone and then copy the clone (now running SL) to your new MBP.

I'm not 100% sure if your grey SL install disc will allow you to do this but its worth a try. The white retail disc should definitely work.

14. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Right, got it.

I'll give it a twirl, although I am just trying to re-clone a last time before taking that step.

Will update once both options have been tried.

Cheers.

15. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Oh dear, I am losing brain cells and gaining grey hairs over this - at least the discovery of the Tom Bihn Brain Cell is a highpoint:

http://themacfeed.com/?p=3334

Before installing SL on the clone, does it make sense to install to the MBP too?

16. Z06jerry macrumors regular

No. Once you are successful installing SL on your clone, you can boot your new MBP from the clone and then copy it to your new MBP's internal hard drive.