Cloning with superduper so difficult?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cave Man, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I just downloaded Superduper 2.6.2 to give it a try but I can't seem to figure it out. When I try to clone one drive to another using the "Copy Now" button it asks me to pay the registration fee. But on the web page it seems to indicate that this is a free provision of the application. What am I doing wrong?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why not use Carbon Copy Cloner which is free?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't answer about Super Duper but using Carbon Copy Cloner cannot be simpler. I also advocate using this. A great handy app.

4. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

SuperDuper is supposed to be free. The free version has some features disabled - the most important one to me being that the free version will clone the entire HD every time where as the registered/paid version will only copy the changed files ("smartcopy"). I've had no problems with SuperDuper, but I paid for it a long time ago after testing the free version for a few weeks.

Are you sure you don't have an option selected that requires it to purchased? Also, the developer is is pretty good about answering questions at his own forum at the superduper web site.

5. rumorguy macrumors newbie

buy it

superduper is the best--buy it, you get what you pay for. and is your data and time worth less than $27.95? :D

Their email support is excellent, I have had quick responses on the weekend.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Why not use Apple's Disk Utility?

Run it off Mac OS Install DVD. Use "Restore" and check "erase destination" to enable block copy (make sure the destination drive is partitioned using GUID and formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled)).

This is a 100% reliable method to make a bootable clone.

7. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's the ticket - thanks! I had to change one of the options.

Not on a hackintosh. ;)

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I see where that could be a problem... (missed your sig, obviously)