Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
better than previous pics but still looks like a cheap plastic back case compared to iPhone 5.

what on earth would you expect? if real, it IS a cheap plastic alternative to the iphone5...that's the whole point. want premium? buy premium.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
Gonna be huge in Japan.

Also looks like its going to stand up to daily life much better than the anodized aluminum casing.

But what are they going to do to make it at a lower price point? Is a different rear shell going to drop $100 off of the price? Doubtful. Is the hardware inside going to be much different? I doubt that too. Cripple the phone through software just to differentiate from the premium version??

g88bo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
It looks less scratch-prone to me than the aluminium. Black screen with either a black or white back would be perfect!

Or at least an iPhone 5s with a black screen and a silver back!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I plan to buy my first smartphone later this year and my decision is setup up on the iPhone. I am not interested in a watered down/hand me down experience. I want the real deal, yes, it cost a little bit more, but its worth it. Especially with how long I keep phones. Going 5 years so far with my current Nokia feature phone.

so don't buy it. problem solved.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Looks to be some plastic wrap type thing covering it. I would suspect it would look clean and smooth like the 3g/s did. Not bad, really.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I can see it now....

Hey look at my new iPhone...
Is that plastic?
Yup, isn't it cool...
That's not an iPhone, that's a bootleg.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Just thought I am getting the usual out of the way.

"SJ would have / wouldn't have"
"Never going to happen / will happen"
"Will never sell / I will queue three days in a line"
"It will / won't be called iPhone <insert xyz here>"
"I move to Android / Windows"
"Looks awesome / sh****"
"Share Price Up"
"Share Price Down"
"Safari is snappier"

So now that's out of the way ... Moving on :)
Apple is doomed
No blurry images? Fake!
Apple is copying android os, now its copying their phones
Apple is no longer premium
Feels and looks cheap but will still cost too much
Only sell in developing markets
Colors look like 80s style crap
They built a phone to match their new crappy os.
I've been with Apple for 6 years and now they've disappointing me I'm moving on
There now we move on ;)

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
not if you're appealing to teens and tweens. they like those colors.

Its pretty obvious that they are going to market this version to younger users and the price is going to appeal to the parents that will have to pay for them. While more and more kids are ending up with iPhones i envision more and more of them ending up with the cheaper colorful versions. They will probably prefer it too.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
But what are they going to do to make it at a lower price point? Is a different rear shell going to drop $100 off of the price? Doubtful. Is the hardware inside going to be much different? I doubt that too. Cripple the phone through software just to differentiate from the premium version??

that wouldn't make it any cheaper to produce, which is what apple needs to retain profit margin. it has to be a cheaper device hardware-wise.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
4fc1d__budget-iphone-color-renderings-01.jpg

Looks more interesting than the expensive one:D

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Multi coloured products always feel cheaper. They should have stuck with black and white.
The white one does look rather nice from earlier renderings.

I think the colors are mainly to appeal to the teenage market, the iPod Touch obviously did very well in multiple colors otherwise they wouldn't be doing it with the iPhone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I want to see what black and white look like.

Black especially will be like the freaking Monolith.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I see how they fixed the weak spots in the case by making the volume buttons like the on/off one. Should do that with the 5S this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.