Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120505-itunes_everywhere_image.jpg

Boy Genius Report claims to have received information from an Apple source noting that the company is finally gearing up to launch its cloud-based iTunes initiative, a program that will also included wireless syncing for devices.
We have been told iTunes will be getting a huge cloud capability that many people have been asking for (and logically thought would happen sooner or later). These new capabilities are broken down into three groups:

1. Streaming music and movies from Apple's servers to your computers, devices, etc.
2. Streaming music and movies from your home computers to your other computers, remote devices, etc.
3. Wireless iTunes syncing with devices
The report claims that Apple's cloud-based streaming service will allow "pretty much any" Apple device with Wi-Fi capabilities to stream purchased content stored on Apple's servers. Home-based streaming is expected to work in a similar fashion, allowing users to access content stored on other devices as is supported in a limited fashion for some devices today. Apple CEO Steve Jobs addressed the topic of syncing media to the cloud at the All Things Digital conference last month, noting that the company is "working on it".

As for wireless syncing, which Jobs also recently promised "someday", the report claims that apps purchased on iOS devices will immediately sync back to the devices' host computers, with syncing of calendars, notes, and contact also supported as can be accomplished by MobileMe syncing today.

Finally, the source adds in a brief hardware claim, pointing to Apple's traditional iPod-focused media event, usually held in September, as a venue for the introduction of at least "two new devices with camera/camcorder capabilities". It is unknown what exactly the source is referring to, although Apple's iPod touch is widely expected to gain camera functionality after having the feature appear in prototypes of the current generation of the device but be axed from the final released design. Apple's iPod nano also currently sports video camera capabilities, albeit at a relatively low resolution.

Article Link: Cloud-Based iTunes and Wireless Device Syncing Coming 'Soon'?

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
the report claims that apps purchased on iOS devices will immediately sync back to the devices' host computers, with syncing of calendars, notes, and contact also supported as can be accomplished by MobileMe syncing today.

Seems like more proof MobileMe might become a free service.

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Streaming content to your devices just seems out of place now that the days of "unlimited data" seem to be numbered.

jtropeano

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Denver, CO
Can't Wait!

I have my 510 GB music and movie collection stored on my Time Machine drive. Any time I want to sync iTunes with my mobile devices (iPhone and iPad), I have to mount the drive, and launch iTunes. What a mess. It's slow, it's clunky, and it's a hassle.

This cloud based iTunes rumor, if true, would be such a benefit to those people like me.

It seems like a no brainer. With HD content eating up so much hard drive space, it doesn't make sense to have 75% of your hard drive (or more) dedicated to media content.

- J

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
I hope the cost in terms of additional bandwidth required is factored into the price as the value to me as a user is going to be constant or possibly less (losing mobile signal is far too easy).

So now, when you buy an apple computer, phone, pod, TV.. you'll need to factor in the additional cost of access..

For example my cable broadband is capped at 20GB a month. With this streaming I'm going to hit that very easily at home.

Next, you'll not be able to add your own songs - kiss goodbye to choice of legal song vendor for mp3s, or movies etc. :eek:

Soon your apps will be cloud-side only.. :p :D

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Hopefully they will let us MobileMe members get "dibs" at a Beta or something. I was very surprised that they included a feature I requested in the next .x and final version (might have been a PITA for everyone).

Anyway when Wifi syncing becomes available, I predict those mini surge protectors with USB ports will become all the rage. I know i'll have a few.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Seems like more proof MobileMe might become a free service.

Certainly should be reason enough, with the amount of storage they'll need for the cloud, MobileMe usage of that would be very trivial. At least allow MobileMe to be free up to a certain limit...

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
good pr strategy, give them something else to chat about and lets forget the little reception issue!
i for one do not care!

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Some of these comments lead me to believe that some people think that they'll be able to upload their multi-hundred GB library. I'm fairly certain that if this cloud service is indeed rolled out it will be ONLY for media purchased from Apple.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Anyone that thinks you will not have to pay for storage is silly. They will charge for space.

they're not going to let anyone upload their huge media library to the cloud. why would they keep a million copies of the same song, if one copy can be shared amongst a million customers?

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
This will most certainly NOT be a free service. The content owners would not allow it and Apple has to pay for that datacenter in NC somehow.

GL

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Some of these comments lead me to believe that some people think that they'll be able to upload their multi-hundred GB library. I'm fairly certain that if this cloud service is indeed rolled out it will be ONLY for media purchased from Apple.

This.

The media giants would not trust that you acquired that media legally. Why would they allow you to stream something that they cannot prove that you have a paid a license fee to have?

GL

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
These limited data plans are fail.

I went over 7 gigs last month. There is no way in hell I am going to change to a metered plan.

Why is Apple pushing streaming if no one can take advantage of it without paying out the arse?

And what will MobileMe be for? Find my phone? That is ridiculous. Android you can just buy an App that does the same thing for a buck rather than shell out $100 a year.

I think MobileMe will find a graveyard spot next to the Kin.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51

This.

The media giants would not trust that you acquired that media legally. Why would they allow you to stream something that they cannot prove that you have a paid a license fee to have?

GL

Exactly what I was thinking. Most likely only content purchased from iTunes... Makes the most sense.

blubyu

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
Why does Google give away almost every consumer thing they create? Sometimes money is made through halo sales of hardware, or simply by converting mindshare into stock activity.

Because google is simply using their free apps to mine all of your personal data so that they can sell it to the highest bidder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.