Cloud for UK iPod touch users

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Loge, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Looks like from 1 Oct, UK iPod touch users will be able to access the Cloud Wi-Fi network for £3.99 a month with no minimum term.

http://www.thecloud.net/page/3653

2. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

Just wanted to add, this could be a great deal, but is lock by MAC address just to your Touch. So if you then get an iPhone or have a laptop, you cannot use this on the same deal.

Also, if you have BT Broadband, some of their packages give 250 minutes per month of free BT OpenZone access. This includes The Cloud network, as BT are available by a partner link.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

So iPhone users get it free, but we can't use that. Ace. :eek:

4. wfuggle macrumors member

No ........ iphone users will get it for £35 per month but they are throwing in free data on EDGE, 200 minutes voice and 200 texts a month in an 18 month contract! That's a really expensive Wi-Fi contract :)

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

UK iPhone users will get free Cloud WiFi access.

6. wfuggle macrumors member

Have you tried remembering your btopenzone password and 9 number username to type in on a Touch! With no copy and paste it will try your patience.

As it is MAC specific you can just walk into a pub (where most Cloud points are) and you're connected with no need to bother with passwords and user names. Click on iTunes Store etc and you're in. Don't often take a laptop to the pub but can share itunes previews with friends etc. About to check this with YouTube button on Touch but should work. (Cloud - Touch beta tester - no NDA)

7. Project macrumors 68020

Thats because this is a single machine deal. The multi machine deal is £10 a month.

8. wfuggle macrumors member

Do you have hacked / unlocked US iPhone? If so can you access Cloud for free now? I assumed that the Cloud access is part of O2 contract which is point of my post! It was meant in a sarcastic / jokey way hence :)

To be serious I assume free access will be linked to MAC address which will be supplied to Cloud by O2.

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Its controlled by MAC address so im guessing only O2 UK iPhones can do it, but its not exactly part of the contract its a separate deal between Apple and The Cloud.

10. iZaid macrumors member

iPhone internet for you book

you can connect your iphone to the internet then connect you book to the iphone with bluetooth, i think:) well something like that, you can do it with most phones anyway.

11. wfuggle macrumors member

I'm speculating but I don't think this is necessarily true (despite the way SJ announced it). There are a lot of tie-up deals between O2 and thecloud.

for example their business wlan is via the cloud see the info cut from this page below:
    http://www.o2.co.uk/business/sme/mobiliseyouroffice/mobiliseyourlaptop/wlan

For non O2 customers and non O2 business customers you can use the Premium SMS service:
    Switch on all WLAN capabilities (refer to your laptop/XDA user guide).
    To purchase, send a text message from your mobile to 78007 containing the words: CLOUDUK 30 or CLOUDUK 60 or CLOUDUK 180. You will then receive a series of text messages with your username and password
    Make sure you are located at the Wifi hotspot
    Open your Internet Browser, The Cloud landing page should appear.

12. sananda macrumors 68020

this £3.99 (no minimum term) deal seems very good value to me. especially considering the price for other devices is £6.99.

as for those complaining that iphone users get it for free. don't be dim. it's all part of the (at minimum) £35 monthly charge (minimum term - 18 months).

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

My #1 wish now for an update is that they make safari remember login details.
    It's a pain in the arse logging into wifi hotspots... and considering that's what steve jobs said safari was actually for it seems a bit of an ommission.

I managed to get the office wifi account.. bt openzone but I'm not paying for it. Even they haven't managed to find a cost effective way to connect at costa coffee though (CC affiliate with a bunch of small companies but nobody well known), so I have to use starbucks.

No cloud near me otherwise I could probably get the company to pay for it. Tell them what mac address it is.. change the laptop mac address to match. No problems :p

14. dcv macrumors G3

Is this deal even worthwhile? Have any of you found a Cloud hotspot? I don't really have any experience of using The Cloud; I've mostly used T-mobile hotspots. From what I've seen most of The Cloud hotspots are in random pubs aren't they? Doesn't seem like very good coverage.

15. sananda macrumors 68020

i noticed a lot of phone boxes. i'm expecting to see many iphone and touch owners huddling around phone boxes (which have been feeling rather neglected these past few years)!

16. Loge thread starter macrumors 68020

Loge

They are supposed to have complete coverage over the City of London, where I work, for example. I think I will give that a try for at least one month.

17. dcv macrumors G3

I work in EC2 - typed in the postcode and it just came up with a few pubs. I've tried searching for wifi points in the City before but most were locked otherwise it was just the T-mobile ones at Starbucks etc.

Let us know how you get on though!

18. sananda macrumors 68020

19. Loge thread starter macrumors 68020

Loge

I should be able to sign up on Monday evening, and give it a go on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

20. tadunne macrumors regular

Anyone in Birmingham using the cloud? I've been trying but only found 2 working hotspots so far, The cloud site suggest that there should be much more coverage than that. Theres loads of BT openzone coverage, which is weird I a thought "the cloud" supplied BT their wifi hotspots?

21. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

That's quite a cool deal. I would definitely subscribe to that if I lived in London.

Then all we need is Skype on the iPod touch and I can throw away my phone.

22. Loge thread starter macrumors 68020

Loge

Well, it works round the City, if a bit patchy. Certainly not 100%!

Posted from Fenchurch Street.

23. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The cloud website exaggerates somewhat...

Half a dozen phone boxes does not make citywide coverage - Wifi doesn't propogate very far with all the buildings in the way.

24. tadunne macrumors regular

Guys I would not bother with them myself (and a friend) have had no response from the customer support. Me and a mate have just walked around the centre of Birmingham and here's what we got, I've forward this to their "customer support" but I don't think anyone is listening?

Ok I've been out at lunch today and heres what I've found. This is with two different iPod touches.

No Cloud wifi available, BT openzone available No SSID
    BT PayPhone - Pinfold St B2
    Shakespeare
    BT PayPhone - Temple Row West B2 5PA
    BT PayPhone - New St B2 4NP
    BT PayPhone - New St B2 4NSc
    BT PayPhone - New St (102) B2 4HQ
    BT PayPhone - Temple Row West B2 5PA

SSID available but can not access web/landing page or landing page does not let us log in
    BT PayPhone - High St B4 7SL
    BT PayPhone - Dale End B4 7LP
    Woodcock
    Square Peg

Works

BT PayPhone - Stephenson Place B2 4PY
    Briar Rose
    O2 Birmingham
    BT PayPhone Union Passage B2

Yet again BT openzone available (and working) at every point? :mad:

Is it this bad in Birmingham?

I think these guys need to be taken to trading standards about listing hotspots that are basically not available.

25. dcv macrumors G3

Oooo, interesting...

I'm on Bishopsgate and have brought my Nokia internet tablet thingy into the office today. I can occasionally see "WiFi Zone - The Cloud" popping up in my available networks but the signal strength is too low to connect to it.

Will have to take a walk later to see if I get a better signal...