Cloverfield Movie Name...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

So I saw the movie Cloverfield today. I didn't really like it very much mainly because the of the shaky video camera recording which gave me a headache. After watching the movie it seemed like nothing really happened. That aside though...

Where does the title of this movie come from??????????
    :confused:

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

"The film's final title, "Cloverfield", is the name of the exit Abrams takes to his Santa Monica office."

...It was initially the "code name" for the film but was never changed.

3. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Well thats interesting.

You would think they would actually have the name of the movie be relevant to the film...

I guess its just part of their vague marketing technique.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, what's it about anyways? i mean, i've seen some ads on tv, but didn't really tell me much

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

a waste of $10.75 :p
    to sum it up in a sentence is King Kong (or some mysterious creature) takes over/comes to new york and its shot in a first person perspective

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

A deep sea monster attacks New York. The entire movie is from the perspective of a Handycam. I personally thought the movie was extremely well done and certainly worth seeing in theatres. But I think you have to be a sci-fi or monster-movie fan to fully enjoy it.

7. AstrayCliche macrumors member

I thought the shaky camera would bother me (it has in the past with like the Bourne Identity movies), but it didn't so much. Otherwise, I think the movie was really well executed. Easily the most suspenseful monster movie I've seen in a long time. The ambiguity to everything (even the title) added to it.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

As I understand it, 'Cloverfield' is the codename designated to the monstery beast by the US Government/military – like, say, 'the Manhatten Project' referred to the development of the atomic bomb, or 'Desert Storm' was the codename of the operation to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi occupation.

I might be mistaken, but that's what I'd heard.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In that case, it has to be seen on bargain-basement rental. The age of the B-movie never went away.

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

But the big appeal of Cloverfield is its effects and cinematography. It will not have the same effect on a TV that it will in a theater... Anyway I saw the film and thought it was awesome :p

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

As much as I enjoy the finer aspects of cinema, a nuanced performance or the works of a man (or woman) who has poured their being into a movie for us to experience, every now and again I just want to see some special effects, some carnage, and walk out of a movie saying "that was so cool!" This isn't your Snakes on a Plane fan-service where a pop-culture figure is given a gun and some one-liners, it's a genuinely interesting and engaging bit of sci-fi. If only B-movies were consistently of this calibre, they probably wouldn't be so looked-down upon.

12. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

i would rate it a C.

It's basically a cross between the blaire witch project, king kong, and gozilla

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I thought it was brilliant, not exactly 100% original but still, pretty damn awesome.

I guess you have to want to see something that's actually different to the big budget, big actor, same storyline films.

14. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's correct. It actually says "Code name Cloverfield" on the military screen at the very beginning of the movie -- although if you miss that 3-second bit you'll never see another reference to "Cloverfield" in the entire movie. They did call it Cloverfield though because of the previous explanation about Abrams' office.

I thought it was pretty entertaining, although I'm not sure I'll ever see it again. A good one-time experience. It does leave me wanting to know more than what was shown from the kids' hand camera.

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Despite all the hype and viral marketing, Cloverfield has to be one of the worst movies I've seen in years.

Unless your a die-hard fan of the monster/horror genre, I would wait for the rental window.

16. dL. macrumors 6502

I watched it yesterday. Mix feeling. I must say this is one of the most uniquely shot movie I've ever watched. First person view actually makes me feel like I am inside the disaster and I can actually feel the whole movie, which was very nice! The down side is that the whole movie is quite pointless and nobody knew it actually would end like this...

I kinda forgot how the movie was about already... but the 1.5 hrs of intense excitement in the theatre was a blast!

dL

17. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Wow....A Brit knew that and I didn't :eek:

:eek:

But yea the monster is essentially known as "Cloverfield"

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

That's how I described it to someone shortly after we saw "Cloverfield": "The Blair Witch Project meets Godzilla."

No, this wasn't the greatest movie ever made, but it was a fun way to spend a couple of hours. I think that if you go into it with reasonable (read: low) expectations you'll enjoy it. ;)

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought so. If it's of any interest the name Cloverfield Boulevard in Santa Monica is derived from the original name of Santa Monica Airport, which was Clover Field, which in turn, was named for a local pilot who died in World War I, Lt. Greayer Clover. Now the poor man now has a bad monster movie named for him. I suspect he might have been happier with the airport.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, I thought the movie was alright but I won't see it again unless its on cable. I thought the movie did what it was suppose to do and left me with a lot of questions AND wanting more...I wouldn't mind reading a manga about it just to explain it more.

Bless

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just got back from seeing this. Thought it was both terrible in that nothing really happens, but the storytelling aspect is fantastic. Although yea the camera did annoy me at times. I was more impressed at the length of the scenes. Barring a few "flashbacks" (lol, JJ) it felt like you were there from start to finish. Even though it lasted 7 hours in their time.

Probably wouldn't watch it again but I don't regret spending my £4.40. But I'm more a fan of a big build up from initial warnings and I would have liked an explanation at the end.

Speaking of which! As the credits go off some chap says "tell them..." or something to that effect. I hope there's a sequel or retelling of the story from a different angle. A high up in the army who finds out about it. That'd be nice.

22. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

not a great movie(story had little substence,action was ok,interesting camera views if you dont get motion sick) with a specially crap ending :(

23. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Hey, I saw cloverfield. It was ok. I think they called it "cloverfield" because at the end when the "alien" attacked the guy that was filming it, he way laying in a cloverfield. Thats what I think, not sure though

24. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

^ Thats it. I can't believe how many people have missed this, but it does actually say it at the start of the film.

Saw it last night, and wow.

25. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Really liked it.

I have read that at the ending, during the Coney Island scene you can catch a glimpse of something falling into the ocean.

I am glade no one tried to explain where the monster came from, like the gazillions of Godzilla movies. That gets boring real fast with me.