Clueless drivers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, Sep 7, 2012.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I ask just 2 things of my fellow drivers.
    1) Please pull to the curb lane when making a right hand turn instead of slowing way down in the travel lane. There's plenty of room.

2) The left lane of the highway is for passing, not casual travel. That's why you have a line of 20 cars behind you. Thank you.

2. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Also please notice red lights, 10 months later and I am still recovering from the smashed to pieces foot and ankle caused by someone jumping them.

3. mgguy, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Also, please stay off of your ***** cell phone or other hand held device when driving, especially if you are texting, surfing the net, or checking GPS.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Please stop honking at me when I'm being cautious when making a right at a red light. It won't kill you to wait for green.

5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I don't like letting people make a lane change in the lane I'm in unless they use their turn signal. Just a pet peeve.

6. q64ceo macrumors regular

This is why I love the video game GTA

I can drive like I want to and have no consequences whatsoever. Well, occasionally when I smash a cop car up or run over a civilian they chase me; but I guess thats whats expected from thug life

7. davidinva macrumors 6502a

One of our recent (past six months) ones is drivers pulling into the left turn lane to cut back over to the through lane instead of waiting in line. Almost got clipped a couple of weeks ago as I was the guy in the through lane next to the idiot.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Man the other day some crazy chick was putting on lipstick while driving too slow in the fast lane. I went to get around her and she swerved into my path.. making me swerve too, and drop my cig and spill hot coffee all over the donut in my lap. At least my iPhone was in my other hand or it would have gotten the coffee treatment too. B****!

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Ohh a road rage thread! What I hate is when drivers don't signal before a turn and just start slowing down without other drivers knowing what they're doing. I'm going to begin laying on my horn every time someone does this.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

11. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I made up a sign that I wear on my backpack when I'm on my motorcycle...

[​IMG]

12. quagmire, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You wait for the green light to turn right? It's one thing to come to a complete stop and clear the area and then go, but to wait for green when it is legal to do so when it is red?

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Now that I've retired and no longer have to drive in the rush hour, I find that all the stress of driving has fallen away.:D

14. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

1. Pay attention. Your car should be moving within 1 second of the light turning green. Put down your god damn phone.

2. Use your turn signals. I, nor anyone else, can read your mind to determine if you are turning.

15. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Two things:

* My biggest peeve now are the drivers who don't know how to turn at a controlled intersection - left and right. What I've been seeing a huge amount of now that there are some red light cameras around is that some drivers think that ANY turn is a ticketable offense.

So, now I (and others, not just me of course) get to sit and wait at a red light as the person turning right has decided that "it says 'red light cameras' so I can't turn right on red at all. I'll just sit here."

Simple rule to never get a red-light ticket: don't make an ILLEGAL move.

It's still legal to turn right on red. Just stop at the damn line for a full damn second, then pull out to where you can see the traffic, then go when able.

Simple.

Same for left turns. If the light is green, you can (and need to!) enter the intersection. But no, now I'm seeing (again, mainly at intersections with cameras) people stop UNDER GREEN behind the stop line and just sit there, happy to wait for the next left green arrow cycle or an obvious (usually huge) break in oncoming traffic.

I think George Carlin had a great bit on this...

* As much as we think that we can influence the bad drivers and have them drive better, we can't. We're simply outnumbered, and as someone else said, "you can't fix stupid."

As such, I've tried to be more accommodating of poor drivers - but man, it's hard sometimes...

16. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I believe that would depend on the type of red light. If it's a solid red in the left turn lane while normal traffic is green then you are suppose to stop and wait. But if it's not solid red and you get a blinking red or a green solid with no turn signal, you should stop behind the light at first and turn when able before the regular red light hits.

17. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Looking at one, you are only suppose to use the shoulder for emergencies, not as an aid for a right turn.

For a counter point point to 2, this is only valid if the driver in the left lane is not exceeding the speed limit. If they are going the speed limit and holding up traffic, then its perfectly valid since you are not suppose to exceed the speed limit.

18. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Someone ALWAYS does this on my way to work EVERY SINGLE DAY I go to work. Funny thing is, they are doing 50 in a 60 and they just cut 3 lanes of traffic to get to that side and a double white line that you're not supposed to cross until further up. I tailgate them and when I pass I make sure to give them a dirty ass look.

----------

Sorry but I disagree with you here. If everyone did the speed limit there would be no "passing lane" . Everyone would be going the same rate of speed and it would be impossible to pass anyone. Not everyone does 60 in a 60.

19. sarcosis, Sep 8, 2012

sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. I'm just pointing out what's legal and what every one does. Don't blame me if you get pulled over for speeding ;) Don't worry, I pull over to the right to faster cars as soon as I can if I'm passing a slow moving truck. I find that to be common courtesy.

BTW, I believe if you are are tailgating and the person in front of you jams on their brake a d you rear end them, its your fault and you will be ticketed and held liable for damages since you failed to leave a safe distance.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No, in many states, you are not allowed to camp in the left lane on say interstates regardless of the speed you are going

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

21. sarcosis, Sep 8, 2012

sarcosis macrumors 6502a

That would explain why I was taught that way. We did things differently in MI.

Here is an excerpt from the MI hand book.

Passing
    When passing other vehicles, always check your rearview and side-view mirrors for any overtaking traffc. Use your turn signal to indicate your intentions. Check blind spots by turning your head to see if you can safely move from your lane without interfering with traffc. It is illegal to exceed the speed limit or use the shoulder of the road to pass. When about to pass a vehicle on a divided highway, move into the passing lane well before passing. When passing a pedestrian or a slow-moving vehicle, such as a bicycle, farm equipment, or a horse and buggy, allow adequate room so that the person or vehicle is not endangered.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...yNauqC3dTQU-SEqmw&sig2=yiAiTTLKqDR60NOQYbjhng

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

But, it is hardly enforced. At least from what I have seen.....

But talking of left lane hogs, I can't stand people that do usually stay in the right lane until they encounter slower traffic and then change lanes without speeding up to the left lane's speed of traffic. It's one thing if the left lane is clear enough where you can maintain your speed to pass, but time and time again I get people who can't wait for me to pass them to change lanes. They will always dart out in front of me going 70 MPH when I am going 80 MPH and maintain 70 MPH while passing a person going 65 or so where it takes them forever to pass. And of course sometimes they never bother moving back to the right lane......

23. Roller macrumors 68020

There are some jurisdictions where entering an intersection to wait for oncoming traffic to clear before turning left will get you a ticket, especially if the car in front of you hesitates and the light turns yellow or red while you're in the intersection. I try to judge whether I'll be able to complete the turn based on what the car ahead is doing and how much traffic is coming from the opposite direction.

A similar situation can happen even without a turn. If there's a lot of traffic, it can be hard to tell if you'll make it through an intersection before the light turns red. I generally wait until there's at least a half car length clear before proceeding. But I've been in situations where someone in an adjacent lane pulled in front of me as I started to go, leaving me in the intersection.

24. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I see that happen way too much. I Like to slow down in he right lane where the slower traffic is and wait untold there is a safe opening and no one quickly coming up on me and then make the safe pass. Ill just wait for the faster cars to pass first or mat h the speed of the left lane traffic to make the pass. Goal is to make this gs as smooth as possible. That's the best way to keep all traffic moving smoothly.

25. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Oh trust me I know the rules lol. I can handle my car. I have great brakes (Brembos) and I have Radar detector. I know that's not an excuse but I am not really tailgating them, just getting close behind them and backing off. Trying to give them a hint in other words. Idk where half of these people get their license. its not hard... left lane is passing (not passing anyone? then get into middle) Middle lane is Speed limit ( not going speed limit? get into right lane) right lane is slower moving traffic (going below the speed limit? Congrats you now know the lane rules) :D