cMBP looking dated

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TxMacAddict, Jul 15, 2012.

1. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Went by the Apple Store today and saw all of the Macbook Pros out on the tables... I couldn't help but notice that they all seemed so fat and dated. Am I the only one who is noticing this?

2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

It's quite an old design now, and to be fair still better looking than any of it's competitors (except the Retina MBP of course).

3. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

It's a nice clean look. I think it's the professional looking standard.

4. TxMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502

yes the look/design is great.. nothing wrong with that part. It's the thickness that made them seem so dated. Kind of like back in the day when all the laptops were 2-3" thick.

5. voronoi macrumors member

Other manufacturers are still taking styling cues from it. It can't be all that dated. It's still pretty thin compared to non-ultrabooks.

6. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Also, have you noticed how fat the 14" models are allowed to be and still wear the 'Ultrabook' label?

21mm thick, the cMBP is only 24mm.

7. Meever macrumors 6502a

Everyone is still trying to copy the original uMBP.... look at Samsung's Chronos, HP's Envy, etc, etc....

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

What category can we even put the new rMBP in now? lol

it just blow my mind having a computer this thin with this much freaking power.

9. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

the cMBP isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It will be around for a few more generations at least. the design is widely accepted. It really is a beautiful design and all anyone cares about anymore is the specs inside and how well it will perform over previous generations at this point I would say. I finally took the plunge and bought a MBP for the first time. I was waiting for the iMacs but when I saw the specs in these I jumped on them right away. the weight and size isn't bad. The only time I feel it's big and heavy is right after I hand my wide her MBA.

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

That's what happens over time. Design is part of the zeitgeist.

Once the rMBP came out, even though it looks pretty similar to the uMBPs, it is much thinner and slicker. Same happened to the Aluminium MacBook Pro before the uMBP.

I still think the uMBP is sexy. It is kind of heavy though and I start to notice it once it's on my lap. I could never imagine carrying the 17" though.

11. Slivortal macrumors 6502

While I still think that a unibody laptop may be the biggest laptop innovation of all time (yes, including the MBA and RMBP), it doesn't change the fact that that innovation happened about 4 years ago.

I still think that a unibody laptop beats any non-unibody laptop (and Apple has some of the few), but the big deal over unibody has faded away. We expect unibody from Apple now, and want something more. I know that I was not going to purchase another MBP with the same form factor as my '09 one, and am planning on upgrading now that there is a new form factor.

Apple releases new form factors once in a blue moon, and when they do, everything else suddenly becomes obsolete.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't see Apple making any radical changes to this design. It will be there until they drop it. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 years it is dropped in favor of the Retina design in both the 13" and 15" models.

I also think the Air has one more generation with its current design. Maybe, just maybe they'll cram a Retina display into it in 2013, but I think it is more likely for 2014, along with a more radical redesign. There are some premium Ultrabooks (e.g. Samsung Series 9 and ASUS Zenbook) that are starting to better the Air's specs and equal its design (or at least come close), but for the most part it is still at the top of the heap.

13. blow45 macrumors 68000

I think now that they've stuck the glass to the screen, which was their intention all the time, that glass layer on top of the cmbp looks cheap, dated and superfluous, like some old crt tvs that stuck a glass on top to mask the curves of the screen.

Very offputting indeed. Anyway I never understood why someone would condemn themselves to reflections with the glass and not go matte. Apple should have offered a semi gloss a la air coating as well. ]

Glass was just a design cue to make these macs look expensive and flashy, they look as dated as anything right now.

And it's rather sad because pre glass pros have aged very well in terms of looks. This to me was a flashy commercial add on, that has done a disservice to the line up. A display should have glass on the panel if it is to have glass, not on top of the panel.

----------

not really, that's only to people who think apple is the be all and end all of design. Lenovo, toshi and sony have some models that look a lot better. Not everyone thinks glass and aluminum is the epitome of good design. That whole look is getting very tired.

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I still think the wedge shape of the MBA blows the rMBP away, but the screen looks better on the rMBP (I'm referring to the edge-to-edge glass, not the resolution).

But nice as the thinness is, I don't think it's groundbreaking over the cMBP. They still look fine.

15. blow45 macrumors 68000

I wouldn't think so. The first air was a failure in design in everything but it's slim form factor. The latch was the epitome of bad design as well as the few ports the tapering allowed. The hinge was also notoriously bad. Apple took the wedge cue from sony and came up with a proper design second time around. Apple are more masters in marketing their innovation than coming up with it.

That's not to say of course they are not responsible for some of the most successful and iconic designs, how could I claim this, but they are better at creating hype about them than anyone else. They can even get a badly designed notebook like the first air to be counted as a success and not against them. A phone with such a poorly designed antenna to sell millions of units.

Both boldly thin products, both utter failures in design/engineering first time around, the iphone 4 with it's self shortcircuting antenna, and the air with it's unstable hinge and latch with one usb on. This is insane marketing only apple can do. Anyone else would have been ridiculed to oblivion for both, especially if they claimed they were masters at design. Apple got away with it.

16. Capex macrumors regular

17. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

C for classic and r for retina.

18. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

LOL any thinner then u end up with RETINA macbook pro where u cant upgrade the parts. i mean i love the retina macbook pro, but the unibody macbook pro normalone is still an amazing machine. where there to update on a truely elegant and simple design?

if u think its fat and stuff, then go buy a dell or hp if u think there any better

19. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Classic MBP, the legacy one according to some rMBP fans :)

20. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

They're still great computers and I imagine students will still flock to the 13" because of price and portability. I purchased the 15" cMBP a few weeks ago and returned it a few days later partly because of aesthetics. It was the hi-res screen with antiglare and I despised the metal trim around the screen.
    Call me old fashioned but I love the Kensington slot on the cMBP and can't for the life of me understand why Apple left it off the retina.

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I honestly can't understand why people still pick the 13" MBP over the Air

22. TxMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502

It may not be ground breaking but having gotten rid of my i5 13" MBP and now with only a rMBP and a MBA in the house those classics just look like tanks to me. The standard is consistently set by Apple and I have a pretty good feeling those original unibodies are EOL.

23. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Milton Friedman's shock doctrine applies to Apple computers too...

Now, thanks to Apple marketing team and to some fanboys victims, owning a performant, upgradable, and non-laggy cMBP makes you look outdated and anti-esthetic XD

24. jaguar451 macrumors member

Following article compares and contrasts - they like the Pro.... But depends on your individual needs. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/faceoff-13-macbook-pro-vs-13-macbook-air/

I like the expandability/ports of the Pro over the Air - including the faster CPU, I think it has more longevity than the Air.... In any event, more important to me than thickness / weight / resolution / included SSD of the Air.

25. Aodhan macrumors regular

To me the Retina simply looks like a slightly thinner MacBook Pro. They are essentially the same design apart from how thick they are. And the MacBook Pro is still thinner and slicker looking than any other laptop I have seen out there, apart from the Retina. And for a slightly thicker design, you get repairability and upgradeability.