cMBP refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danyull, Jun 9, 2013.

1. danyull macrumors member

Hello all, I'm new here and this is my first post.
    I know that there has probably been hundreds if not thousands of threads whether or not the cMBP will be refreshed at WWDC tomorrow.

What are your opinions and hopes?

I really hope apple refreshes the cMBP's at least one more time before phasing it out. Do you really think after 1 generation of rMBP's that they would discontinue the cMBP's? I just think that there is a bit of a price range between the air and rMBP that they need to continue the cMBP's unless they reduce the price of their rMBP's.

2. WWDC2013 macrumors member

Sorry, I think tomorrow will mark the end of the entire cMBP line-up. It's already too obsolete for 2013.

3. danyull thread starter macrumors member

If true, I really hope they decrease the price of their rMBP line and make a 500gb HD and 8gb RAM a standard. :(

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

8GB RAM is standard.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Doubt the 500 gb hd. They use SSD, and that's just way too expensive.

6. danyull thread starter macrumors member

True, but don't you think 250 gb is too small?

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My MBP from 2009 came with a 160 gb. 250 is big in my book :p

8. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

It is more than enough for majority of people not to mention the ability to upgrade the ram/hd without too much effort make them a good option for most people and fill in that price range below the rMBP

9. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Apple wants to move away from people opening their own machines, just think about the money they could make with upgrades like Ram/SDD that are dirt cheap DIY jobs when compared to their prices?

This is one of the reason why they want to move away from them, more profit.

10. Spartanator macrumors newbie

cMBP 13 with the 2.8GHz i7. I'd hardly call that obsolete and considering I got it for $1199, it was worth it. I'm more of a casual user these days, so the rMBP wasn't worth the price difference.

11. stephen85 macrumors member

Hardly.

My soon to be delivered 2.6 Quad i7 / 16GB / 750GB Hybrid HDD will last a good 5 years in my opinion especially with the ability to add a second SSD in the superdrive bay near the end of it's life to give it more grunt.

The rMBP is fast because of it's SSD "as standard" over the cMBP, put a SSD in a cMBP and you have the self same machine. Granted you have form factor but it's hardly a fat machine considering the computational power you're getting.

12. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

Agree the cMBP is no slouch and will easily last people years still. To cut it off I think would be crazy for apple unless they drop the last gen rMBP price to match what the cMBP was

13. Rhinoevans, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

I bought the 2012 cMBP last year. Upgraded to 16G Ram for very little cost, didnt need the retina display and still dont. Planned on upgrading to SSD, but prices have yet to drop enough to warrent a 500G SSD. Put a SSD in my Sony VAIO this year (256 Samsung 830), and although nice on boot up, dont really see any other real added benefit, except less storage! I can wait an extra 10 sec. With all that said, I am OK with a rMBP that I cant open NOW. Seemed necessary last year, but probably not as big a deal as I thought. Will Pass on Haswell, my Ivy Bridge still awesome, and will hope to add a SSD if prices drop, but overall VERY happy with my cMBP.

Starting to think that the time to upgrade to an SSD is when I NEED one, not when I WANT one!

14. stephen85 macrumors member

Storage is a biggie for me also and if the rMBP came with 500GB as standard then i could live with an extra HHD to plug in when the time comes but SSD cost are too high even if they are the storage of the future. I think apple pulled the trigger of the SSD too soon as a cost to the pro user.

15. theriddler macrumors member

I hope there will be one more refresh before Back to School. Will they upgrade the screen resolution to 1440 at least?

The Haswell Air's specs fit my needs but I want the ethernet port and Kensington locks without using adapters. cMBP's also upgradable and I could even replace the DVD drive with SSD or BluRay.

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think the cMBP is done. Apple will just let it sit there before discontinuing it completely.

17. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Realllllly stupid question but I can't seem to wrap my head around "cMBP". Can someone enlighten me? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Classic. All good. :D

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Unless prices of the rMBP drop, unlikely with the new SSD and any dGPU that is > 5000, then I don't see how the cMBP goes bye-bye quite yet.

The only reason would be that Apple thinks that the air or a stripped down 13" can take the place the the 13" and 15" cMBP. That would be VERY faulty logic, but it would not shock me.

19. someguy50 macrumors newbie

Honestly, the only thing missing is a 128GB 15" rMBP (or a price drop of the 256). Maybe they'll drop them $100, just like the Air. Apple likes simplicity, they wont have 3 lines of notebooks for long. I know they're both called MBP, but it's still different.

$999 11" Air
    $1099 13" Air
    $1199 11" Air w/ 256GB
    $1299 13" Air w/ 256GB
    $1499 13" rMBP
    $1699 13" rMBP w/ 256GB
    ***$1899 15 rMBP (128GB)- Future product price point?***
    $2199 15" rMBP
    $2799 15" rMBP w/ 512GB

20. danyull thread starter macrumors member

Update: I went ahead and bought myself a 13" cMBP last night. Talked to the store manager and he said that there probably won't be another refresh but they'll continue selling the Ivy Bridge model for a little longer. Also he stated that usually they hear about BTS promotions about a month in advance but he said he hasn't heard of anything yet and said there is a chance Apple might not even do one this year.

21. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

honestly given that they bought a much costlier cpu for the air while dropping the price and putting a new pcie ssd, that is what I think is a faulty logic

22. someguy50 macrumors newbie

Congrats! Wonderful device. Easily upgradable, and, well, classic.

23. theriddler, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

theriddler macrumors member

The end of user upgradeability? No more "revive an aging MacBook with an SSD/more RAM and it's as good as new."

What are they doing with the remaining iPod Touch stock now that a cheaper 5th gen is out? Kill two birds with one stone - Back to School limited to cMBP and throw in an iPod Touch 4th gen.

someguy50, when you list it out that way, there's no slots in the price points for cMBPs. :|

ETA: This is interesting:
    cMBP is heading in the same direction as the MacBook.

24. someguy50 macrumors newbie

Yep, I really do think it's on the way out, sadly. I went ahead and bought a 13" cMBP two weeks ago, I love these things too much.

I love the Retina too, but I'm really going to miss the flexibility of upgrading, optical drive, RJ45, etc the next time around

25. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

Thats bad!! I hope apple won't get rid of the BTS! Im waiting for it. If I haven't heard anything update for BTS by Wed, im going to buy cMBP 15" on Thursday! Can't wait any longer