Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
:D :D :D

They hit the nail on the head! Plus the Nano has 8gb of storage now, admittedly not as much as the Zune by a huge amount, but I'd still more rather have the Nano...

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Microsoft is 5 years to late, Steve jobs saw the digital music revolution coming, and if the biggest computer company didn't see it coming, thats their lookout, the zune is destined to failure and it was doomed from the start

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
:D :D :D

They hit the nail on the head! Plus the Nano has 8gb of storage now, admittedly not as much as the Zune by a huge amount, but I'd still more rather have the Nano...

well,i do think Zune and Ipod video has some competition there, which hard to tell who is better (better design and ease-to-use ipod vs. larger screen and FM radio Zune)
BUT

there is no comparison between nano and zune, at the end of day, without video display function, nano and zune cover different user group, and 30G+Video would definitely attract more user than 8G Nano.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
well,i do think Zune and Ipod video has some competition there, which hard to tell who is better (better design and ease-to-use ipod vs. larger screen and FM radio Zune)

How can you say it's hard to tell which ones better:confused: iPod is thinner, option of WAY more storage, the screen is the same resolution as the iPod, so it being bigger makes no difference, it has iTunes and the ITS, click wheel more accessories and it is cooler than M$'s POS;) If you really want a radio, buy the iPod radio remote;) The radio built into MP3 players are crappy, because the antenna is either built in or in the earphones;)

Oh, and as iGary says: 'people see the brown zune and say "wow, a brick shaped turd"':D :D

there is no comparison between nano and zune, at the end of day, without video display function, nano and zune cover different user group, and 30G+Video would definitely attract more user than 8G Nano.

That's why the nano outsells the 5G iPod...:rolleyes:

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
most people like simple device. they don't want to learn more complicated thing when they get new device. especially mp3 player. ipod is seemingly working with software whatever reason. plus it's very easy to use. but zune is not working properly with its software including music store. I don't even understand why point has to be shown when you try to buy songs instead of price ($0.99). it's useless and making people complicated. installation process is bunch of unnecessary things in there, too. MS really tries to be hard. but it's their limitation. nowadays, how many people only listen to music with ipod? we enjoy podcast (automatic subcription system), audiobooks, videos, and can use for external hard drive, too. zune can't do them at all. I don't buy it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Microsoft is 5 years to late, Steve jobs saw the digital music revolution coming, and if the biggest computer company didn't see it coming, thats their lookout, the zune is destined to failure and it was doomed from the start
Well, if you want to use that logic, then then Apple's iTV is doomed as Microsoft's been shipping "Media Center" versions of Windows for years now.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
The Zune doesnt even support Windows Vista. How funny is that? Microsoft always does a great job of thinking things through....

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Well, if you want to use that logic, then then Apple's iTV is doomed as Microsoft's been shipping "Media Center" versions of Windows for years now.

as i recall apple released one somewhere around 1995, i can't imagine apples iTV being brought by PC users or iPod users and to be honest i can't see it doing very well at all

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
How can you say it's hard to tell which ones better:confused: iPod is thinner, option of WAY more storage, the screen is the same resolution as the iPod, so it being bigger makes no difference, it has iTunes and the ITS, click wheel more accessories and it is cooler than M$'s POS;) If you really want a radio, buy the iPod radio remote;) The radio built into MP3 players are crappy, because the antenna is either built in or in the earphones;)

Oh, and as iGary says: 'people see the brown zune and say "wow, a brick shaped turd"':D :D

The 8GB nano? I'm not arguing or anything, I don't know much about the sales, but are you comparing the iPod nano (all sizes) to the iPod video 30GB?

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
the capitol
MS should have capitalized more on Windows Mobile/CE for this one, in the same way the ipod sorta did (afaik) with Newt OS. If the zune could play games, had touchscreen, Mac compatibility... or compelling features other than an FM RADIO (????? what ipod owner even listens to the radio that much that this is an issue?, plus the ipod has cheap accessories that easily add this...) perhaps it would be a better contender, even this "late in the game"...

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
tho i won't buy zune, coz im using a mac, I did try it again this morning at bestbuy.
one word. the screen IS Bigger than iPod Video, and that really feels better, maybe apple should increase the screen size too.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
tho i won't buy zune, coz im using a mac, I did try it again this morning at bestbuy.
one word. the screen IS Bigger than iPod Video, and that really feels better, maybe apple should increase the screen size too.

If they do, they should increase Resolution as well.

Otherwise you're just making the same stuff bigger. And if you don't know what it looks like when you simply magnify the same resolution object, try it. It doesn't look as good :D

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York

Yeah, the screen is bigger, but it is the same resolution as the iPod Video screen, which means you're just getting larger pixels with the Zune.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
If they do, they should increase Resolution as well.

Otherwise you're just making the same stuff bigger. And if you don't know what it looks like when you simply magnify the same resolution object, try it. It doesn't look as good :D

well, iPod does support higher resolution already. its, now, only a matter of screen size.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006

Saying that the bigger screen makes no difference b/c of resolution is a very bold and incorrect statement. Who wouldn't want a 60'' 1080i HDTV over a 42'' 1080i HDTV...? That being said, a bigger screen is the ONLY thing that the Zune trumps the iPod on. No one listens to radio on their mp3 player, Clickwheel = better input device, wifi sharing = ok theory but would never catch on, ipod is thinner, sexier, plays more types of music, better support, etc.

However, Screen size does trump all of those other features in terms of 'importantness' So I'd say it's a close call to most 'un-biased non apple fanboy pc owning' consumers.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Saying that the bigger screen makes no difference b/c of resolution is a very bold and incorrect statement. Who wouldn't want a 60'' 1080i HDTV over a 42'' 1080i HDTV...? That being said, a bigger screen is the ONLY thing that the Zune trumps the iPod on. No one listens to radio on their mp3 player, Clickwheel = better input device, wifi sharing = ok theory but would never catch on, ipod is thinner, sexier, plays more types of music, better support, etc.

However, Screen size does trump all of those other features in terms of 'importantness' So I'd say it's a close call to most 'un-biased non apple fanboy pc owning' consumers.
I do like FM Radio, i listen to NPR more than I listen to music, thats why I didnt buy ipod, coz it will just stay at home.... lol

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
My guess is that Apple has enough ideas/products in the pipeline to counter the Zune.

I am looking forward to see what Apple will release.

I don't care about MS products anymore, too many bad experiences.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
My guess is that Apple has enough ideas/products in the pipeline to counter the Zune.
I am looking forward to see what Apple will release.

now thats what I call "worship", lol
Im not sure if apple has anything in pipeline to counter the Zune, since clearly apple is not in the position to counter anything, but I DO hope iPod will have larger screen and FM Radio, or I hope Zune will support Mac OS, til then, I m just waiting.....

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
The 8GB nano? I'm not arguing or anything, I don't know much about the sales, but are you comparing the iPod nano (all sizes) to the iPod video 30GB?

All sizes;) The nano is currently the best selling iPod, but the shuffle's currently selling like crazy, so that's likely to over-take the nano in sales;)

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC

iTV != MediaCenter

Bad analogy. The iTV is fundamentally different from a Windows Media Center computer. With Windows Media Center, you have to have your computer in the living room somewhat close to the TV. Windows Media Center is more like Front Row, *not* like iTV. What iTV gives you is the ability to stream video and audio directly to your TV. So you can still have your computer at your desk and use it like a normal computer, and yet still have its content available on the TV.

Once again, Apple comes up with the "right" solution!!

P.S. I know people want Tivo-like functionality built into Front Row/iTV, but Apple sees the writing on the wall - Tivo itself is being crushed by DVR-enabled cable boxes. People are flocking in droves to pay a small monthly fee to their cable company in order to have convenient and seamless DVR capability. Apple is absolutely right to steer clear of DVR. They're focusing on where they can compete: Movies on Demand (over time can have a vastly larger catalog than the cable companies offer), and streaming content (which Apple has not mentioned but which makes total sense).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.