Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhlvrsn

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
First let me say that I prefer the ipod over the Zune any day. Does that mean that the zune hasn't brought some much needed competition? Absolutely not. I played around with one at Target yesterday. The menu system is great. Size doesn't matter???? There's an age old question. The "same resolution" argument doesn't hold to much water either. I've got a 50" television and a 15" television. They are the same resolution. Take a guess at which one I prefer to watch. And Brown! It's the new black. I seem to recall a certain company unleashing a bunch of dayglo translucent product on the world not that long ago. As for form factor the iPod has the Zune beat hands down. Will that advantage last forever? Depends on how deep M$'s pockets are... The FM radio thing is a non-issue for me. I haven't listened to radio for years. I get my news from CNN/MSNBC/Local websites. I can cover 10 times as much info in a fraction of the time.

I can't wait for the next generation of iPod. Hopefully a little competition will mean that we all win!

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
I think that Microsoft has seriously overestimated their ability to enter this particular market.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
That was indeed funny.

The same site also had a review of the zune which you can watch here. The review was more positive than I expected, giving it a rating of 8 out of 10 -- and I was surprised the reviewer didn't bring up the countlesss number of complaints people have had over this device. Especially the craziness of the Zune marketplace (uh, points? WTF?).

But he DID bring up some MORE drawbacks to the Zune that I hadn't thought of. Apparently if two people are both playing music, and one of them tries "squirting" the other a song, both players stop playing their music -- which makes the whole sharing thing kind of intrusive and anti-social. Plus, the reviewer brings up the "Zune paradox" -- in order to share, you have to have wifi ON. But most sane people will have wifi OFF most of the time in order to conserve battery power. So how are people supposed to find each other to share songs with if wifi is almost always off?

I already thought this was a stupid feature before, but now I'm convinced it's one of the dumbest ideas ever for a music player -- especially with all of its limitations. If M$ used the power of wifi in more useful ways, they might have actually had something over the iPod. But Zune sharing is just laaaaame.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Well, if you want to use that logic, then then Apple's iTV is doomed as Microsoft's been shipping "Media Center" versions of Windows for years now.

But has it sold in any kind of quantity? No way. iPod was a huge hit, MC has been mostly ignored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.