Cnet review of 2.26 13" mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evolesque, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Evolesque macrumors member

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

under the specs it says 2 gb 1066 mhz ddr2

ddr3.

peace cnet. owned.

(just got the higher end 13" mbp today)

3. knarzie macrumors regular

expected more from the new battery, that is not worth getting a new one for me. mine is 6 months old and alredy 180 cycles gone. at this speed I would be looking to replace the battery after 2 years on the new one :(

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

they last 1000 cycles.

do the math bro, it would be closer to 3 years at 360 cycles a year.

and even if i have to replace the battery after 2 years ill be pumped it lasted that long.

5. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Looks more like a description of the specs than a proper review.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the performance of the non-removable battery in the 17" MBP the actual performance of the battery versus the advertised shouldn't come as a complete surprise, nor should anyone be dismayed that apple has over-promised the battery performance. They (like every other company) always do. I never take what they say about the battery as gospel, but rather with a grain of salt.

7. Canuckistan macrumors member

Glare

This generally favorable review is critical of the screen's glare... How bad is it?

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I have to call BS on that battery life review. I guess it really depends on usage and settings.

I used to have the regular 13" MB Unibody and the battery lasted about 4 hours and 35 minutes or so (of the rated 5 hours), while surfing the net and editing documents (iWork), and having screen brightness a bit under half so I would not believe that a battery that is supposed to last 2 hours longer would only add around 20 minutes.

I hope some people here can run various tests and post results. If the battery does indeed only last around 5 hours that will be quite a disappointment.

Of course around 5 hours with full brightness and playing multimedia files while connected to WiFi, now that would be something sweet!

9. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

THIS bad:

[​IMG]

10. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

^ Who cares what the glare is like when the computer is off?

11. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

I bet if you put the 17 on the left it would be the same. Looks like a window right there.

12. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

13. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Correct. They are all the same. (though the right is not much better...)

The luxury you get with the 17" is Matte if you choose to buy it. I upgraded from a 15" just for that. If you like glossy then its fine, for me it was annoying. And even if the computer is on, you stil see reflections, especially in dark areas of the screen (blacks on pages)

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I hate battery estimates because the consumer usually believes they get the max. If you're constantly going away on your computer doing anything, the battery isn't going to last long. I get around 4 hours and 15 min on my MacBook Pro and that's through word processing light browsing where I will be on the computer then going back reading a text book before going back so in between there are times where the computer is idle which helps me with battery life.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

CNet not even knows the difference between DDR2 and DDR3.

16. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

The battery life is unequivocally better in the new generations b/c of the bigger watt-hours. I think that the fact that the battery's performance isn't supposed to degrade for years is the bigger advancement, if it's true. I just find it hard to believe since I'm wary of the Apple marketing machine...even though I fall victim to it again and again.

17. knarzie macrumors regular

yeah ok, so closer to 3 years. still, my G4 lasted 5 years without losing much of it's capacity.

18. tsa1 macrumors regular

i like cnet, especially for mobile phones and tv's. I do tjink that they rushed this review and made some errors like in the price point mentioned forthe base mbp lol. Kent german is a beast with phones.