CNET takes a shot at Apples aging Macbook Pro's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleMayhem, Feb 13, 2010.

1. AppleMayhem macrumors newbie

We're all waiting for the new Macbook Pro i5/i7 systems. Now it seems that CNet is joining in. Apple won't like this kind of article in the mainstream media. We will definitely be getting new Macbook Pros soon.
    Article as follows:

As performance laptops based on the Intel Core i5 processor proliferate, older Core 2 models look, well, old. That means Apple's core silicon is past its prime.

What began as a trickle about a month ago is now a torrent of new Core i-based notebooks. Although lower-end Core i3 processor-based systems are widely available for the more budget-minded, the Core i5 is now powering performance laptops for those willing to pay a little more money.
    The mobile i5 chip is, in a word, fast. Made on Intel's cutting-edge 32-nanometer manufacturing process, it handily outperforms the older Core 2 Duo. Tech Web site AnandTech said the i5 processor delivers "the single largest performance improvement we've seen from a new mobile processor in years," and Tom's Hardware said it "boasts the best balance between desktop-class speed and true mobile usability we've ever seen."

Dell: The Dell 15.6-inch Studio (S15Z-3630CPN) offered at Best Buy is a good example. Priced at $1,049, it comes, as many systems do, with the popular Core i5-430M processor (2.53GHz) and an ATI Radeon HD 4570 graphics chip with 512MB dedicated video memory.
    Other features for this Dell Studio model include 4GB DDR3 memory, a 500GB Serial ATA hard disk drive (7200 rpm), two built-in 2W speakers, a built-in optical drive, and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system.

Apple, by comparison, offers a 15-inch aluminum MacBook Pro for a pricey $2,299 that uses the older 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and comes with specifications that are otherwise pretty similar to the (much) cheaper Dell system.
    Hewlett-Packard: A $1,299 15.6-inch HP Envy (considered the company's consumer luxury laptop line) offers similar specifications to the Dell system but with more powerful graphics silicon. In addition to the Core i5-430M, it comes with a more powerful 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830 graphics chip, a 320GB disk drive (7,200rpm), and 4GB of DDR3 memory.

Sony: This week, a slim Sony system (VPCS111FM/S) with a 13.3-inch display found a spot on store shelves at Best Buy for the first time. Although it misses the sub-inch-thick cutoff for ultrathins by a few tenths of an inch, it does fall into the thin category (1.2 inches in height) and certainly does qualify as one of the thinnest Core i5 laptops yet--and one of the lightest, at 4.4 pounds.
    Other Sony specs include a 500GB hard disk drive (5400RPM), Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD, 4GB of memory, a built-in optical drive, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. One thing to note: No ATI or Nvidia graphics here. Ultraportables--the designation that Best Buy gives it--typically don't come with discrete (standalone) graphics cards.
    On the upside, Sony offers a two-year limited warranty for the system, a step up from the typical one-year consumer laptop warranties. It's priced at $1,049.

Toshiba: The Core i5-based U505 Satellite from Toshiba (U505-S2010) is also relatively light, at 4.7 pounds and about the same thickness as the Sony. At $1,099, it is loaded similarly to the Sony laptop (including an optical drive) but adds a touch screen.

By comparison, Apple offers its aesthetically attractive Core 2-based 13-inch aluminum MacBook Pro with an Nvidia graphics chipset. But the $1,499 model is using last-year's Intel and Nvidia technology.

The upshot: With more and more speedy Core i laptops coming out of the woodwork, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy an older Core 2 Duo system. Apple surely knows this and, as CNET's Erica Ogg pointed out last month, an e-mail sent from Intel to participants in a training program for company sales representatives hinted that a MacBook running the Core i5 may be coming soon.

A refresh of the MacBook Pro line can't be very far off, but the clock is ticking.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol CNet has no clout. You must be mistaking them for a real tech blog. Besides CNet (and some of its members) are pretty anti Apple. They threw in a compliment to the 13 inch mbp but that didn't meet the agenda so they had to throw in that its antiquated.

3. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am sure there will be a MBP refresh eventually
    But it won't have anything to do with CNET posting a story

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. ccockerill macrumors newbie

While you personally may not find them credible, CNet is the go to tech site for many individuals that are not as tech savvy as yourself. My father goes to CNet and so do many average Americans, so really this is the sort of place where the mainstream individuals start to hear that Apple's current offerings are getting dated. So Apple would probably care more about this than more "reputable" blogs.

6. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Insignificant. It's just one editor's take on the whole ideal. Cnet has alot of articles like this but hey, at least they're free to discuss about anything that comes to mind. Hopefully, though, the wait will be worth it.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Exactly... Windows users that don't care.

8. p1ngputts macrumors member

That's where I go for reviews.

9. AppleMayhem thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that CNet may not carry the clout of the Wallstreet Journal, but those media outlets do monitor these kinds of stories and then begin to mirror them. And with Apple so trendy (lets face it, they make amazing products) this is the kind of negative crap that the media would love to run with.

FYI I didn't post the story to insight flame, but just to keep the forum members advised. :D

10. MikeSantor macrumors regular

Agreed. I actually know many people that get the majority of there tech info from Cnet. I actually was trying to get a friend of mine to buy something that had mediocre reviews on Cnet and amazing reviews everywhere else but he was reluctant to buy it just because of Cnet. Close minded people like this are easily per swayed by stuff like this...

On the flip side, I agree with Cnet. But I will be in line waiting at the Apple store the day the i-series Pros come out nonetheless...

11. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

I do not agree with you.

As technology gets old, the demand for it falls. As the demand falls, the company has to come with better, more demanded tech on the market in order to keep the profit. Many people are unaware of it and easily fall into trap of buying old hardware.

With CNET review, there will definitely be more people to skip the dying out C2D, in other words: the demand for the current MBP will fall. And if it will fall, Apple will hurry for an update.

In other words again: Everyone who is buying a laptop NOW, is responsible for Apple NOT updating. Why would they, if the demand is not falling? Business is investing less for having higher returns. We are brainless flock of sheep, which is manipulated by corporations in every possible way just to get that dollars out of your pocket. With every dollar you spend, you have the responsibility to buy the best product for money.

Of course, in this particular case, other factors like Intel manufacturing speed, etc etc affect Apple MBP update release date.

But demand vs supply is the main factor and will always be.

Do not forget, that we people have the power to manipulate the money makers ourselves. There is a reason why there are Guilds like Actors Guild and WGA. They do exactly that.

To everyone: do not forget, that people buy laptops, especially ones that are as expensive as apple, for the use in the next 3-4 years. C2Duo will be very slow in four years, while a quad core or the better i5 or i7 will hold up well with the rising development of software that benefits from extra cores and threads.

I would have no problems with the current software running on the current MBP, but in a year or two, I would need to change the laptop.

And yeah, if I will then try to sell mine, it will be less worth. What a waste of money not to wait for the update!

Now if you do not agree with me or want me to shut up, you are a Apple stock shareholder who receives dividends.

12. MoTo77 macrumors member

LOL... Copy, paste, search "university", replace "CNET"...

13. MikeSantor macrumors regular

14. MoTo77 macrumors member

You don't even have to go to CNET. Nor do you have to compare with Dell. Go to www.apple.com and compare the MacBook to the MacBook Pro 13.

The difference amounts to a lighted keyboard and an aluminum body.

I've had people ask me which to get and there is no possible way to recommend a MacBook Pro unless money is no object and it fits better with your decor.

15. neoark macrumors member

neoark

Some one needs to slap dell silly they are packing crappy i5-430M instead of .. i5-530M which has VT-d Technology.... No wonder its cheap crap... VT-d will help u run MAC OS X and Windows 7 side by side. Also if u want to go with i5-430 you are better off saving some money with C2D since there don't be much performance increase. i5-530 is 20% better.

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=43544,43537,43560,
    VT-d: http://download.intel.com/technology/computing/vptech/Intel(r)_VT_for_Direct_IO.pdf

16. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Well seeing as Parallels 5, VMware Fusion 3 and Virtual Box don't support VT-d, your crying over nothing.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm a very tech savvy guy and I hit up CNet once in a while.

Usually I like to check out items that receive a CNet editors choice (which usually does deserve it) but most of the time I just check the users ratings like any other review sites.

18. gazzamac macrumors member

Nice post, well thought out

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

One thing that makes me think about the i5/i7 cores implemented into the MBPs is the skinniness factor.

I've seen/read i5/i7 core notebooks have problems with overheating issues already and their very bulky notebooks.

My brother has been using his i7 core Sager for about 3 months now and he's been complaining that his notebook's fans are way too loud all the time (even on the so called quiet mode), while the notebook is twice as thick as my 17" mbp!!

Maybe Apple is delaying the release while trying to figure out the engineering of Mbps with the i5/i7 cores that deals with fan noise/heat/thickness issues?

Reasons that are keeping me from selling my current core 2 duo MBP is that:

1) For a notebook that is on the go (well for me that is) its more than fast than what I need.
    2) What if there is a reversal of demand, where most people will want the last core 2 duo (for now) because the i5/i7 core MBP's battery life is much shorter, runs hotter and fans are much louder.
    3) Thicker MBPs?

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Let the media and whoever bash Apple and if you're a consumer and want to hate, go ahead. Go on a rant saying Apple just lost you and many others as a customer. I'm not saying that in a "I'm sticking up for Apple" way. Those who complain and think it's an attempt to hurt Apple are clueless as to how Apple likes to operate. Apple releases their products how they want and when they want. You think they really care who they piss off? They'll lose one customer but gain 10.

21. Lifequest macrumors regular

Agreed to most here.
    Much like Wikipedia's ease of access to information, CNET and other similarly non-tech-savvy information site are visited by most.

CNET's mere article won't do much, but it does show the general consensus of the public; Apple is WAY too slow catching up.

After 4 Apple Laptops, I think I will be going for the Sony CW.
    i5 2.4Ghz
    8G Ram
    500Gb HD 7200

Price? 30% cheaper than the C2D MPB, and will still probably be 30% cheaper than the MPB i5 (when it comes).

22. chikhao macrumors newbie

Very good point!!:D

23. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Why does everyone keep saying Apple doesn't update for so and so reasons and they will update because of this and this. Think about it people, most manufacturers have not even started shipping their i5 or i7 laptops yet. Sony for instance isn't shipping anything i5 or i7 till march. There are a few clarksdale i7s and i3's in stores but a majority don't have availability yet. What makes Apple so different? They just haven't announced yet. Also Apples update cycle tends to happen at the end of February. It's barely mid February and everyone is making complaints and excuses. I need my laptop badly for school too but apple doesn't release products based on your personal schedule but their own. Stop whining and either wait or go buy something else.

24. fluent617 macrumors member

Sony has the F series and CW series already in stores with the i3's, i5's and i7's. Just a little FYI.

25. Jeeg macrumors member

Looks like CNET isn't the only one taking shots at Apple and the aging Macbook Pro.

source : Engadget