CNN Article: Give Apple Maps a Chance

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jlake02, Oct 8, 2012.

1. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Summary:

• User complaints prompted Apple to apologize for its new maps app
    • Janet Vertesi: I was delighted that Apple no longer relied on Google Maps
    • She says Google's privacy policy aggregated users' personal data for profit
    • Vertesi: Breaking the Google monopoly means that all of our choices can improve

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/07/opinion/vertesi-apple-maps/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

2. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Those are all very good points
    And to those whiners saying how apple shouldn't have replaced google maps with an 'inferior' solution, it's time to realize that the apple maps app is nearly perfect, it's the map data that's lacking; map data is difficult to improve unless there are millions of people using the map and sending feedback.

3. Greg. macrumors 6502

Greg.

A rubbish article from a paid Apple journalist. Seems to make out that Google are a terrible dishonest company for tracking you online, and imply Apple would do nothing of the sorts.

4. Allenbf macrumors 6502

I know it's the popular thing, to pile on Apple for the "debacle" of Maps. But I just can't, for all of the reasons listed above, and personally, I've used Maps about 9 times since dowloading iOS 6, and it has been 100% reliable. Love the turn by turn directions, too.

In 6 months, this will be forgotten, as long as Apple continues to improve the Maps as quickly as they have been.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Am I the only person would couldn't care less how google use my data? I'm an ordinary guy living an ordinary life... What have you all got to hide?

and on topic, google maps all the way!

6. Allenbf macrumors 6502

Come on, seriously? Google is a search company. Apple is a hardware company. Who do YOU think would stand to profit by tracking you online and selling the information?

Apple has no need.

7. Deguello macrumors 6502

It's time to realize that the greatest UI in the world makes for a terrible map app without the map data.

You can rationalize and make excuses for Apple all you want, but that doesn't mean that the new Maps isn't subpar. Apple has admitted as much.

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Why do people keep repeating this falsehood?

9. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

Care to explain?

10. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

He can't , and that's why he didn't
    It's easy to spew crap on the Internet these days, and fandroids love doing it

11. Deguello macrumors 6502

Yes. "t's time to realize that the apple maps app is nearly perfect" is very excusey.
    Fandroid? Are you 10 years old?

I'm typing this on a MacBook Air with an iPhone and iPad next to me. I like a lot of Apple's stuff. That doesn't mean I have to be a mindless sycophant when Apple releases something subpar.

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

The problem is that, without map data, maps are useless.

Of course, there are plenty of issues with the UI as well... there's not nearly enough contrast so, at a quick view, some of the smaller roads appear almost invisible, it's difficult to differentiate between the different sized roadways (secondary streets appear the same as main ones), and often times you have to zoom in too much just to get basic information.

Navigation wise, you're forced into standard view (an issue in some areas due to their lack of data), you can't add or search for additional destinations, and there's no nighttime mode.

13. urkel macrumors 68030

Best joke of the season. Congratulations.

14. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

um. Thanks?

Feel free to switch to android, i heard it's a lot smoother :rolleyes:

----------

If you look back at my posts, I've criticized apple for iOS 6 bugs/glitches/arbitrary changes ever since beta 1.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

- Siri navigation talks over music
    - Red/Green traffic lines replaced by hard to see alert icons
    - GOogle has 7000 PAID EMPLOYEES circling the globe to constantly improve map data
    - Apple relies on 3rd party apps to fill in void of missing features

I'm all for a new maps app but to pretend missing data is the ONLY problem is so incredibly naive.

----------

16. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Would you rather miss your turn? I don't under how this is a problem. Would you like the music to pause/mute? That would make sense if it doesn't do that already.

only have an iphon4 so I dont get turn by turn so not really sure how it interacts with music.

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

"Siri" turns the music down so you can hear each direction. If you want you can turn the voice off all together

18. Allenbf macrumors 6502

It's supposed to. So does Android's navigation. This has to be the silliest complaint I've seen so far.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because it's a truthhood? The best map products have legions of people who drive around, and which they can follow via GPS to determine where roads are.

20. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thanks for the best joke of the year. :cool: yes, YOU are a joke.

To pretend that the old Google map is perfect is incredibly stupid.

21. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I deleted my whole Google account but ended up creating a new one just for YouTube. I've managed without everything else.

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You realized what you just wrote here? What exactly is Apple Maps without map data?

23. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

I'm sorry if this comes as a surprise to You... but Apple is a software company. Their hardware only shines because of their software and Apple makes hardware to bring more of their software experience to you. Presence and location will be the next big thing in mobile computing and Apple want's a piece of the pie - both Passbook and Maps is part of a strategy to own their users data in-house, integrate both ads and other solutions based on what you do, where you are and what you need. Find my friends and that kind of apps is using your data just as Google would do - You might just prefer/trust Apple over Google, but You are kidding Yourself if You think Apple isn't playing the same game as Google in this regard.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware."

This is what Apple does - read into it, Jobs quoted this several times.

24. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

The article has more to do with dumping Google completely and less to do with Maps...actually, not about Maps at all. Just uses that app as an example.

25. darthlinux macrumors member

People on this thread need to grow up, so what Apple have dropped google maps and have introduce there own app for maps, Apple will improve the service but its the first release so will have glitches until its been improved, all you fan boys need to get a hobby or don't use the app until its been improved.